ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IS IT LEGAL TO TINT REAR VIEW WINDOW?

RS Clio 182
Obviously can't tint the windscreen and the front side windows are regulated by percentage of light allowed in which can be checked by means of a monitor. I cannot recall the exact percentage but if you get stopped by a Traffic unit and he gets out his monitor then lets hope those tints are legal!

Its worth remembering that all cars have a slight tint from the factory (they are greeny in the Clio) therefore they do not let 100% worth of light through in the first place, worth bearing in mind when selecting a percentage.

I meant in total it's supposed to block out no more than 30% in total, not from the standard spec. Then again that might just be rubbish, not sure where I've picked that up from.

I can't remember the exact figure your allowed, tints really aren't my scene, what i was saying was if your tints have to let 30% of light through (for example) by law, I wouldn't put 70% tints on as the windows already have a light tint from the factory.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
got pulled in my mini a few years ago, up north near Newcastle.
I had returned from serving in Northern Ireland and my car had been stored for 2 years .
Took it out 2 days after having an MOT..(which incidentally passed)

£60 on the spot fine, The fuzz had a light sensor jobbie and measured the light transmission and I failed as I had limo black all round.

I was un aware the law had changed in my 2 years away.

I went back to the MOT testing station and demanded an enquiry as to why they passed my vehicle ...and was told..."they thought it suited the car"!!!!

BE WARNED....

here is a link to a site i was sent onto the day the coppers pulled me.
http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/everything_else/2276.asp

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Perfectly legal - paint it if you want.

Dan

A

andyjm28

How do you tint the rear window?!
I've done the side ones with film (not easy, but with time & patience...)
but the rear window is curved and has heated strips...
do u use spray or something?
any help appreciated :)

remove spoiler if you have one, place the film over the outside to get a template, cut around so you have your shape...wet the inside of the window with solution, put film on the inside... heat it up with a heat gun and push the bubbles out with some sort of plastic a small rectangular block, roughly the size of a credit card...no its not illegal
Clio6-1-2.gif

Last edited:
  Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
How do you tint the rear window?!
I've done the side ones with film (not easy, but with time & patience...)
but the rear window is curved and has heated strips...
do u use spray or something?
any help appreciated :)

pro's use heat guns with the film on the outside before they fit them to curve it to the shape of the window

The legal limits for window tinting are a
minimum of:
70 per cent VLT for side windows

75 per cent VLT for windscreens on

vehicles first used after April 1985 and
70 per cent VLT for those first used prior
to that date.

What this means is, on all modern cars wind screen can have a 25% tint, front side windows (rear of the a pillar infront of b pillar) can have 30% tint, and rear side and rear window (rear of b pillar) can have 100% tint.

A

andyjm28

remove spoiler if you have one, place the film over the outside to get a template, cut around so you have your shape...wet the inside of the window with solution, put film on the inside... heat it up with a heat gun and push the bubbles out with some sort of plastic a small rectangular block, roughly the size of a credit card...no its not illegal
Clio6-1-2.gif

Cheers :)
Can do that, but I've heard it can affect the heated strips? Have you had this problem or does it not matter if you know what I mean. Some say it can bubble the tint, or not work at all...

www.renparts.co.uk
you cant put any tint on the front of a clio, they are close to the legal limit anyway. The back you can do what you want.