ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is remapping worth it?

CLIO 1.5 DCI 2003
I am thinking of remapping my clio 2 dci 1.5, but I'm not sure if it is worth doing or not, and how much I should be paying... Any ideas?!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes its very worthwhile, you will notice a decent hike in power and your economy should improve too.

Look for somewhere that offers a money back guarentee and can give you details of exactly who has written the map they are using, there are more cowboy mappers than cowboy builders these days I think!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Without serious mods ie cams/throttle bodies, on a n/a engine, no, not worth it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Without serious mods ie cams/throttle bodies, on a n/a engine, no, not worth it.

He is talking about a turbo diesel.

Generally I would agree with your off topic point about N/A petrols, although in the case of a 172/182, its worth remapping even a standard car TBH, as the factory map isnt great.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
And couple of lb torque. I just wouldn't bother unless at the very least it was cammed. just IMO

28k Trophy - R1200GS
100% worth it.

dCi are made for mapping.

Expect gains near 25bhp and 45-50lb/ft Torque.

Mine has been remapped for a while. LOVE IT!
Just make sure you do some research and get a good mapper to do it.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Try contacting RS tuning through this forum. Not sure what they do for dci clio, but as said so many bandits, need to be careful. Paul will see you right.
Might be in Leeds, but it'll be a more entertaining drive back....

As said looking at seriously worth it gains. Have been looking for wifes 1.4hdi 207. 70>95bhp and extra 30lb/ft torque. Still not quick by any means, but worthwhile..

Clio Sport 172 Cup
Defo worth it mate. economy will improve too, get alot more for your money.
Yeecup i see you point if your on abour 172/182 just a remap wouldnt make much of a did unless as you said throttle bodies and cams but on a diesel is defo worth it imo.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Defo worth it mate. economy will improve too, get alot more for your money.
Yeecup i see you point if your on abour 172/182 just a remap wouldnt make much of a did unless as you said throttle bodies and cams but on a diesel is defo worth it imo.

Manufacturer maps on modern diesels are all crippled really badly by type approval emissions regulations on NOx gasses, but petrol maps arent, so there is always a lot more to gain on the diesels.
Most N/A petrol cars dont gain much from a remap, as the manufacturers tend to get it pretty much correct in the first place, but the 172/182 is just an example of a where they didnt basically, so there is more to gain than most similar cars.

HBT 172 Cup
Was worth it on my 172 just to get rid of the cold start hesitation every morning driving up the road. Was silky smoother after it was mapped.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
ill get mine mapped, only after iv fitted the 438's. incidently i had both of my impreza turbo;s mapped by andy forrest, with supporting mods, now that was worth it. :cool:

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Sorry for hijack but also thinking of remapping my dci 100. How much should i be paying and where is the best place to go?

04 Monaco Blue 172
interesting ready about the views on mapping the 172, ive been considering it with my 172 just to improve the lumpy idle and crap cold start, improved driveability is somthing i am really wanting to improve on, i just want it smoother, power gains dont bother me really but driveability is important

anyone heard of a company called jms remappers? i think they have changed their name now, same guy running it though

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
interesting ready about the views on mapping the 172, ive been considering it with my 172 just to improve the lumpy idle and crap cold start, improved driveability is somthing i am really wanting to improve on, i just want it smoother, power gains dont bother me really but driveability is important

anyone heard of a company called jms remappers? i think they have changed their name now, same guy running it though

Stone automotive you mean mate, ran by James Stone who was previously part of JMS.

Lots of people with their maps on here who are happy.

Details on their website:
http://www.stone-automotive.com/index.php/clio-rs-products/ecu-calibrations

Liquid Yellow 182 FF

Pop him a PM on here, I am currently looking into it for the same reason and to help support my current mods.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
cheers for that bud,
yeah, and its nicely priced, a remap on my old astra coupe turbo would have been £500 +

Nah, you can get them done well for a lot less than that mate, it just depends where you go.
(I write for total vauxall so see a lot of different remapping companies and what they charge)

At the end of the day these maps are only flashes of a predetermined map with at most a few full throttle tweaks, they are not a live map with hours and hours needed on the rollers. But on a mass air flow based setup like the astra that is all that is required unless its massively modified.