ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the VTS & 106 GTi the same car

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Engine? Weight? Chassis? Suspension?

Ive thought the VTS is quicker from racing both but figures are identical. So what are the differences? :confused:

engine is the same as is the shell, but the bodypanels,interior,suspension etc are different as for the weight im guessing that will be different too but cant see there being much in it tbh

Cos i had a 106 Rallye and they are not as quick as a VTS (mind mine had 130BHP and VTS couldnt stay with me down country lanes, but bear in mind MOST are driven by halfwits (I said MOST b4 Craggy reads this,)

The Gti is meant to be very slightly quicker... The engines are identical except they use different management ECUs.

Dont know about the rest of the car, but they are made in the same factory(so im told) so there cant be that many different parts.

Bit like the ZX is the same car as a 306.

i raced a pug 106 gti , and he was pulling away from my valver ever so slightly,but i think its been tuned a bit !

one of my mates had the vts the other had a 106gti i fitted induction kits to them both for them, LOL after having been in both the 106 feels stiffer sprung and less bodyroll than the saxo as std

My girlfriend had a gti theres no way a standard one should be able to touch a valver!! although that depends how well your valver is i spose.

There about 120bhp i think, but they are tiny so that helps them shift

They are identicle except the 106 is better handling due to more precise steering and slightly better weight balance so im told, they have a different ecu to the vts and also are supposed to have slightly shorter gearing which some say makes them faster than the vts (evo mag) but i think they are the same everytime ive raced a vts ive been stuck to its bumper. Also the 106 is less common and hence more desirable:). My 106 gti beats my willy 1 to 60mph with just induction kit and zorst but after then the willy overtakes being a 2.0l. They are good cars to thrash aroud in but not for top speeds

Adam

Ive seen a Smoothed Boot Saxo, and it looked like a 106 from behind..

The dials are the same too.

Thats all I know.. not a lot.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 09 May 2003

one of my mates had the vts the other had a 106gti i fitted induction kits to them both for them, LOL after having been in both the 106 feels stiffer sprung and less bodyroll than the saxo as std
& who would win?

mk2 172

yeah, they the same virtually, wont be much in it as standard depending on how good it is, as standard i think vts is more suited to track and 106 better for road as its as mentioned above not likely to catch you out, but give the vts plenty of room to spread its wing and you can slide round corners at some serious speed, im not doubting you can in the pug either tho. not gonna get into the vs valver thing but i know what my money would be on. 106 has the leather which is nice but if like me you got buckets you dont care. not much between em.

have seen a Saxo with 106 boot and vice versa b4. They are far too close imho. Its the way manufacturers are going nowadays, build one car and market it as two (think Seat Alhambra, Ford Galaxy, VW Sharron, or Rover 216GTi and the Honda Concerto) Many examples, means brand appearance and marketing are the only selling points.

Must admit is I had to choose I would pick the 106, think it looks better and is not as common.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by SoLow on 10 May 2003

if I had to choose I would pick the 106, think it looks better and is not as common.
Which is what I did...

Rarer car, looks better (IMO), lovely leather seats, finished off nicer, better built and doesnt have the bad reputauiton of the Saxo, so I wne the way of the 106 at the time.

Still miss it too as it was a great little car!

320d M Sport

yeah both are top motors, seems as though the tunng world has looked more kindly (terrible grammar that) on the VTS though, theres loads of ace ones about.

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 10 May 2003

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 09 May 2003

& who would win?
not really anything it it to be honest i think it would fall to who is the best driver to decide a head to head between two standard ones as its too close to call, i didnt drive the 106 but was a passenger in both and the 106 felt more settled on the road at high speed than the saxo, ive driven my little brothers vtr and and its a great laugh really fun little car but id have to drive a 106gti then a vts to decide which i prefer

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 10 May 2003

I had a 106 XSI and they do handle brilliantly. Pugs are top , top motors.
Not my kinda cars really. Build quality on the old Pugs are terrible (& thats a Reno owner saying that)!

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 10 May 2003

I had a 106 XSI and they do handle brilliantly. Pugs are top , top motors.

I had a 106 XSI too and i thought it handled better than any of the "rear end happy" 106gtis or saxos ive driven in the past.. I even found the build quality on mine was outstanding, shame the reliability wasnt:sick:

When I worked at the Pug factory at Ryton, I met a guy who used to work in car testing. He said that when Peugoet brought out the 106 Gti they were worried about sprialling insurance premiums, especially with the Gti badge, so they deliberately tested the car with extra weight in order to produce slower figures, in an attempt to keep insurance down.

Arent the saxo and the 106 built on the same floor pan?

I have no troubles from either cars in mine. Once they stop pratting about, i go past them. I just love 200bhp cars :D

Ste

they are built using the same shell but the bonnet, boot, wings and 1/4 panels are different that is why they look totally different

Gotta admit though, in some ways they do look similar? Ive come up against only 1 VTS that beat me. Turned out to have a 1.9 turbo lump in it. DOH!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Dagowly on 10 May 2003

Arent the saxo and the 106 built on the same floor pan?
More than that...

Same bodyshell, same engine, etc... virtually identical under the skin!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by BigBoreBri on 10 May 2003

I Heard it was because the actual stats were faster that the 306 gti.... and they couldnt possibly have that!:D
Well you heard wrong then... ;)

I had a 106 GTi and Im currently driving a 306 Rallye and I can tell you that the 106 is quick, but the 306 is quicker!

mk2 172

yeah, and my de-catted ind kit 1.6 (with no rear seats before rich mentions it again lol) was faster than richs rallye 60-90 hehe, altho his is standard, not looking forward to racing it with these zorst mods of his and some weight out tho! so they can all be close with a bit of fettling here and there

The GTi-6 is a couple of seconds quicker than the 106 gti to 100, it pulls like a train and is excellent fun!

The 106 wont be replaced unfortunately and the 206 gti 180 looks like it will be the only pug to hold the badge GTi shortly.....

Tony

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Craggy on 11 May 2003

yeah, and my de-catted ind kit 1.6 (with no rear seats before rich mentions it again lol) was faster than richs rallye 60-90 hehe, altho his is standard, not looking forward to racing it with these zorst mods of his and some weight out tho! so they can all be close with a bit of fettling here and there
Aye, but next time Ill be de-catted and stripped out too so well see... ;)

Revels Mum & Sister

I prefer the 106 Gti but think generally down to what you prefer!!

Next Months PGTi mag has the Saxo Vs 106 thrash!!

That 205 with the Standard MI16 lump did well this month!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 11 May 2003

The GTi-6 is a couple of seconds quicker than the 106 gti to 100, it pulls like a train and is excellent fun!
Yeah, 0-60 the 106 GTi is near as damn it the same as the 306 GTi-6, but after that the 306 pulls away and as you said it is about 2 secs quicker to 100mph and the Rallye is then second quicker than that...

Its the mid range that the 306 scores on as the 106 lacks torque and needs to be kept on cam to perform.