ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is there a minimum speed for broadband

172 Cup
"Broadband" is a generic name for an "always on" connection faster than dialup.

As for speed tolerances that all depends on the provider (Cable, BTWholesale, LLU etc..)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
And how far you are away from your local exchange, your line quality, how good your cabling is.... lots of factors

172 Cup
And how far you are away from your local exchange, your line quality, how good your cabling is.... lots of factors

That affects sync speed, not speed "tolerances" (which going on Alymac's previous threads is what he is referring to).

172 Cup
BTWholesale have VERY sweeping tolerances mate so even if you were synced at 8mbps and only ever achieved a throughput of say 200kbps they'd simply tell you that was satisfactory.

I've got the figures somewhere so I'll try and dig them out.

Megane 230 R26
Sometimes the autodetection of the "right" speed for the line goes wrong on the "up to 8 meg" service, and they can improve the situation by forcing it to 1 meg or whatever...