ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this ugly weld from an accident ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why it took me a few weeks to notice that ... I saw it when I bought the car, but thought it should be like that.
Those pictures are taken from the front, looking at the boot (plastics and seats removed).
What effect could this have on the car ?
Could it be the cause of this noise (starts 0:18) when turning left hard ? https://vid.me/mCav

Car handles ok, if anything there's too much grip on the rear (or not enough on front). But when I bought it, the steering wheel pulled right hard. Got the toe and the bridge aligned, and it still pulled right hard. Swapped front and rear tires, didn't change, only swapping left and right tires fixed it. But I thought - if it was just the tires, it should have pulled left now.
So should I be expecting a surprise when I buy new tires ? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    791.4 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    825.8 KB · Views: 407
  Megane 225 f1
That's not a weld that's sealant where renault have joined the rear panel to the floor. It's a standard feature!

Cup In bits
The cars taken a knock to the rear passenger side as can be seen in the pictures, measure from wheel centre to wheel centre on each side for a quick check if anything is bent.

Failing that get it on Hunter alignment machine.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
What TYRES are on the car at the moment?

That boot floor looks fine to me.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Boot floor has been whacked. Although to be fair, not particularly hard.
Looks like the original boot floor to me.

In fact, it looks like someone has reversed a van with a tow bar into it, or maybe the Clio was reversed into a bollard?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427915995.971271.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's a small bump. I've seen someone fall into a Clio boot floor and do more damage. They were built to crumple. Previous owner has probably just had a new bumper fitted as the rear panel isn't bad.

This it the plate I'm talking about , and another picture of the ugly weld, having a hard time believing it's from renault.View attachment 125028 View attachment 125029

That's not a plate, that's just sound deadening, to help stop vibration noise or similar. You'll find it in most Renaults all over the place (under the carpets, behind trims etc)

The rear of the boot floor and panel looks a little out of shape to me. But considering they bend and crumple so easily, it's probably only been a very tiny knock. When someone went into the rear of me at 10 mph the floor and rear panel was destroyed and rolled up.

So any of you has this weld\seam sealer too ? Any pictures of this ? I'm having such a hard time imagining a car would come out of the factory like this.

GoodJ were you talking about welding in general or my car ?

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
So any of you has this weld\seam sealer too ? Any pictures of this ? I'm having such a hard time imagining a car would come out of the factory like this.

Mine is identical bar the dent, will get a photo in the morning

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow, just to ease your mind

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I've had hundreds of clios. All exactly the same. Nothing to worry about.

But you do have a (small) dent.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It's a cheap French tin box mass produced.

That's the quality you get.

But you do have a dent

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
no worries about the dent, just about that seam sealer/weld ... it's too sharp and weird

ITS NORMAL.
If you're that worried go to a local secondhand car dealer ( Clio is so common they'll probably have a standard one for sale) ask to look around it as if interested and look under boot carpet then you'll see its normal.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, this one has run it's course.

OP - the answers are in here. Notably Daniels post. Other than the small dent, nothing wrong with it and the "welds" come out of Renault like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.