ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

isf and diy TV calibrating

anyone had an isf calibration done ? or anyone calibrated it them selfs using a datacolor spyder or just using a calibration disk ?

had a quote of £220 for a isf calibration but imho its just too much for about 150 i can by the device and do it my self but i have already done it by eye with a disk with test patterns etc and it looks so much better already wondering is it worth it

Last edited:
well yeah but it really adds to it no more wondering why peoples skins a funny colour etc

it can make a Huge difference

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i used the recommended calibration disc from av forums. got it off play, it's a bluray disc.

used the video guides myself, tbqh, unless u have a kuro, i wouldn't get it proffesionally done, you wouldn't notice it enough to warrant the extra monies...

quite possibly hence my thoughts

but lg were the first to offer isf certification and tweaking tbh i think your right may buy the device my self though for next tv then i can use it on any others of the family friends etc for a charge ;)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
heh not a bat idea if u have the skills for it. plsu tbqh, since ideally you have to change it everytime the lighting enviroment changes, it's like what are they expecting you to do, change it during summer and winter? tooo expensive!!!

no you only need 2 settings really night and day day = bright light no light control and night time ie watching a film in a darkened room (dont watch them a tv in the dark !)

regarding doing it my self its really not that hard its just knowing how to read the results so you know what to change there is plenty of guides about though

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
true just quite a time invesment consdering how good my panny g10 looks on standard it's hard to justify, even after calibrating, but thats just me

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
See people over on avforums swear by it, but it is a lot of cash. I guess it's a case of if you're happy getting it some way to what they'd do then don't bother. But if it's something that will bother you then just get it done :)

I'm crap with getting things like this setup properly, always sit there trying to pick fault with it and can't stop fiddling!

I know it can probably be further improved on, but this was one reason I went for the model I did. Set to thx mode, job done :)

true just quite a time invesment consdering how good my panny g10 looks on standard it's hard to justify, even after calibrating, but thats just me

i think you would be surprised tbh you know when you change the modes vivid cinema game sport etc how much teh picture changes well its the same with calibration again it can be that noticeable

See people over on avforums swear by it, but it is a lot of cash. I guess it's a case of if you're happy getting it some way to what they'd do then don't bother. But if it's something that will bother you then just get it done :)

I'm crap with getting things like this setup properly, always sit there trying to pick fault with it and can't stop fiddling!

I know it can probably be further improved on, but this was one reason I went for the model I did. Set to thx mode, job done :)

the trouble is every panel is different it seems even if they are the same model the thx mode and stuff is just set the same for every set it doesnt take into account anything :( so even that can be much further improved usually.

i was watching the inlaws tv last weekend and i was shocked at just how bad the picture was the white was clipping very badly as were the blacks they thought it looked fine a few seconds later as i didnt have any test screens to play with and they had a much better picture and couldnt believe they had been watching it like it was

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thx is not going to be as good, but it's better than I can do myself and a damn site cheaper than getting an isf bod in :)

Looks very good to me so I'm happy and reading the avforums review seems that their panel was pretty much at it's best on thx and couldn't really be improved much.

I was at my folks on boxing day fiddling with their tv (bought them a bluray player so was setting it up) and my god it was horrific.

They had it setup (it's a 2 year old pansonic plasma) on the dymanic profile for a start, but everything seemed over saturated and the colours were way off. Had a little play with the settings when they were out the room (took it off dynamic for startes!) and got it a lot better for them, not that they'll notice lol.

dk

911 GTS Cab
this thread is way too g33ky, buy new tv, plug in, switch on, done, looks great, if i start messing with it i will uncover backlight bleed and all sorts lol.

this thread is way too g33ky, buy new tv, plug in, switch on, done, looks great, if i start messing with it i will uncover backlight bleed and all sorts lol.

lol no seriously dont just do that or you will end up wondering why your old tv looked better for the amount you make give it ago your self £20 for a bluray calibration disk isnt too much is it

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i think you would be surprised tbh you know when you change the modes vivid cinema game sport etc how much teh picture changes well its the same with calibration again it can be that noticeable

its true, but whilst i calibrated it myslef i was was doing it slowly so hard to see the before and after and my ex who saw it at the time, she couldn't notice either way...but then she's a girl...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
lol its satisfying when you sort it though even if they dont notice lol

I know I sat there after changing some things thinking to myself thank f**k for that, the wife agreed it looked loads better.

I'd never really noticed it being that bad but since having a decent telly ourselves I notice crap pictures a hell of a lot more now.