ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ISP recommendation's?

After my unfortunate experience with Tiscali I am now on the lookout for a new ISP. Any suggestion's? Im need 1Mb unlimited for as cheap as poss!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Clart said:
plusnet are excellent

lol. He wants to get away from traffic shaping! Plusnet have the best traffic shapers in the business, they bought those instead of investing in their network.

Use over 20GB peak time/mo and your traffic will be shaped to hell.

Demon have been great for me in the last year. 2Meg conection, Static IP address, no limit on downloads, web space, unlimited email adresses etc.

Think it's £24 pcm, can't remember, not cheap, but compared to NTL they are the nuts.

172 Cup
sn00p said:
lol. He wants to get away from traffic shaping! Plusnet have the best traffic shapers in the business, they bought those instead of investing in their network.

Use over 20GB peak time/mo and your traffic will be shaped to hell.

Do you actually understand what you just posted?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
.Griff. said:
Do you actually understand what you just posted?

Yes, why? Why not actually say whats on your mind, rather that p**s about?!

Edit:

When I say best traffic shapers, I mean they went out and spent hundreds of thousands on the best traffic shapers that money could buy, rather than invest in more central capacity - which was DAFT. Their ellacoyas do deep packet inspection which means that unless a packet is encrypted they can tell what protocol it is and shape it accordingly, they have a number of different queues in place and your traffic gets sent to the appropriate queue after inspection.

The result for the first couple of months after it was implemented was awful, peak time speeds for usenet & p2p traffic was awful. If you want to read about their woes since traffic management was implemented, hop on over to the adslguide forums.

Plus I don't actually really know what package I'm on with them anymore, they change their products so often that it's hard to keep up. Another product change to look forward to next week.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Actually, plusnet have just announced their product refresh, anybody now on the £21.99 will get a shiny new "peak cap" of 15Gb/mo, go over that and you get rate limited to 512kbit/s. Go over 30Gb and plusnet will offload you! Off peak (12am->4am) is "free bandwidth" though.

Here's their "new products":

• Option 1 will be offered as ‘Up to 8Mb’ and replaces the current ‘Up to 2Mb product’. This will be provided with a peak time data transfer allowance of 15GB (Cost: £21.99 per month)
  • Option 2 will be offered as ‘Up to 16Mb’ and replaces the current ‘Up to 4Mb product’. This will be provided with a peak time data transfer allowance of 22.5GB (Cost: £29.99 per month).
  • Option 3 will be offered as ‘Up to 24Mb’ and replaces the current ‘Up to 8Mb product’. This will be provided with a peak time data transfer allowance of 30GB (Cost: £39.99 per month).

In the end I have opted for Demon, decent price and I know them well from 'back in t'day' so I have every faith in their reliabilty.

There are p-lenty of companies with excellent reputation's but alas far too many seem to have a download cap, what is the point when 8Mb connection's will soon (hopefully) become common place.

Steve

172 Cup
sn00p said:
Yes, why? Why not actually say whats on your mind, rather that p**s about?!

Edit:

When I say best traffic shapers, I mean they went out and spent hundreds of thousands on the best traffic shapers that money could buy, rather than invest in more central capacity - which was DAFT. Their ellacoyas do deep packet inspection which means that unless a packet is encrypted they can tell what protocol it is and shape it accordingly, they have a number of different queues in place and your traffic gets sent to the appropriate queue after inspection.

The result for the first couple of months after it was implemented was awful, peak time speeds for usenet & p2p traffic was awful. If you want to read about their woes since traffic management was implemented, hop on over to the adslguide forums.

Plus I don't actually really know what package I'm on with them anymore, they change their products so often that it's hard to keep up. Another product change to look forward to next week.

I think you've read one too many posts and not quite understood what you were reading..

Fristly traffic shapers are not physical entities, it's simply a nice marketing word for port throttling. . You talk about them as if Plus.Net went to the traffic shaping superstore to buy them.

Secondly you say Plus.Net should have "simply" purchased more central (pipes - I think this is what you mean to say) in order to increase bandwidth... Yes 5 years ago that would have been a good idea.. But not these days.

BT Wholesale who supply ALL the UK ISP's with IPStream services used to charge based on connection speed (hence years ago a 1mb line was £35.99) but 2 years ago they changed the pricing structure to usage rather than speed. Hence a 1mb line today costs next to nothing provided you don't download everything in site. Plus.Net adding more bandwidth would do absolutely nothing for heavy downloaders unless you are prepared to pay £60+ a month (see why LLU suppliers are so popular?)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
.Griff. said:
I think you've read one too many posts and not quite understood what you were reading..

Fristly traffic shapers are not physical entities, it's simply a nice marketing word for port throttling. . You talk about them as if Plus.Net went to the traffic shaping superstore to buy them.

Nope, that's exactly where they went ;)

http://www.ellacoya.com/products/

.Griff. said:
Secondly you say Plus.Net should have "simply" purchased more central (pipes - I think this is what you mean to say) in order to increase bandwidth... Yes 5 years ago that would have been a good idea.. But not these days.

Plusnet were already commited to enabling 2 segments (as per their contract with bt wholesale) by feb of this year, rather than light those segments early they went to the traffic shaping superstore and bought ellacoyas to deep inspect packets and prioritise the traffic according to protocol - much more sophisticated than mere port shaping.

The situation only got better on the network when the additional segments were enabled and they removed traffic shaping from the first 20/gb of traffic, mainly because lots of people were complaining because speeds on everything had dropped substantially.

.Griff. said:
BT Wholesale who supply ALL the UK ISP's with IPStream services used to charge based on connection speed (hence years ago a 1mb line was £35.99) but 2 years ago they changed the pricing structure to usage rather than speed. Hence a 1mb line today costs next to nothing provided you don't download everything in site. Plus.Net adding more bandwidth would do absolutely nothing for heavy downloaders unless you are prepared to pay £60+ a month (see why LLU suppliers are so popular?)

Yes, I know! If only they had enough bandwidth at peak time to cope with their existing customers, but it's been shown that they simply don't. Obviosuly if every user on any ISP downloaded at full rate then they'd grind to a halt because ISP's don't offer 1:1 contention, but even one of plusnets buggest fans (on adslguide) has shown that from figures gleaned from plusnet that their contention is over 100:1, far greater than the 30:1 that they claim.

It's also worse with the new changes, it's says 15gb before rate change, but they start shaping after 10/gb.

172 Cup
Ellacoya are simply one of many companies supplying a myriad of products and services to ISP's.. Switches, hubs, firewalls etc.. Same as Conexant, Texas Instruments, Cisco etc..

"Traffic shaping" is a term/phrase.. call it what you want. It doesn't physically exist with a nice "Traffic shapping turbo 2000+ machine" logo on it.

Any basic ISP with the relevant software can impose traffic shaping.. Jesus I could even do it should I want/need to on our network.

if you want a very reliable ISP, with a good quality connection that gets you what you pay for near as damn all the time then try NDO. thats who I am with

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
In this case they are physical entities, they went out and bought ellacoya e30 switches purely for the task of traffic shaping, as have lots of ISP's here in the UK and around the world.

I'm not trying to argue for the sake of it, but I still don't get your point to my original post?

(Oh and BT centrals are what BT wholesale refer to as their pipes.)

Octavia VRS
what happened with Tiscali if you don't mind me asking. I've just signed up with them after receiving shitty service from Wanadoo. The better half's dad recommended Tiscali and that's why I went for them

_Kenny_ said:
what happened with Tiscali if you don't mind me asking. I've just signed up with them after receiving sh*tty service from Wanadoo. The better half's dad recommended Tiscali and that's why I went for them

Well at the beginning I had a few issue's with them supplying me with a 2Mb line when I need a 1Mb (my line wont support 2) that took about a week and half to sort out with numerous calls to the 'helpdesk' yes...ive restarted my machine!

It was going well for a week or so when I received my first high usage warning, they ask that P2P software isn't used bwetween 6pm - 11pm which is fair enough so I didn't, I used the net for normal browsing and thing's such as trailer downloads. About five days later I received my second warning, this time stating that this was my last chance before being shifted to another server (or whatever) with other high user's and that they couldn't garuntee max performance. After quering this via email as to what exactly I had been doing wrong I received a reply stating heavy usage is the downloading of ANY file between 50-100MB!! As you can imagine this would make any worthwhile internet experience worthless...needless to say my final email came a few days later stating I was now on the high use policy and pretty much straight away my downloads dropped significantly no matter what time of day...even although they had said that I would only suffer potential slow down in peak times.

So there you go...unlimited internet for low users with shoddy customer service.

Steve