ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It’s that time of year again... car insurance

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well so far waiting to here back from sky insurance.

my insurance provider so far said they would do the car but wouldn’t cover the car if I fit the shocks and springs due to lowering! But happy with ITG panel filter / braided brake hoses and audio!

spoke to nfu thinking they would be good, at first they was happy to offer insurance but needed to check about the mods, then after being on hold they got back not resale being happy about the mods but as I’d said I didn’t own my own house or able to get them more custom I then didn’t fit the bill and the car was then too old! But before checking about the mods offered a price shy of £600 fully comp!

but they’d be happy for me to go back once I own my own home for there home insurance and possiblythen get car insurance lol mention I’d not be going back for anything!

Tbf to the NFU they are aimed at households/farms with multiple vehicles so it’s not that surprising.

When it comes to a claims tho they are really good, we’ve claimed for loads of stuff and they pretty much payout new for old without any argument.
Also you generally deal direct with a local office so you can walk in and talk to the person who deals with your account.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf to the NFU they are aimed at households/farms with multiple vehicles so it’s not that surprising.

When it comes to a claims tho they are really good, we’ve claimed for loads of stuff and they pretty much payout new for old without any argument.
Also you generally deal direct with a local office so you can walk in and talk to the person who deals with your account.
I think that would be a great way for the industry to shift towards as postcode plays a massive part in your premium. But if you're dealing with people who are familiar with the area themselves - or ideally, would be on hand to come and pay a visit to assess your policy, it would give a far better and truer assessment of your car's location. Of course that would never happen due to the costs and scale involved - but it would be a good solution for all.

Like my car is kept in a secure underground car-park and Bolton postcodes are a high risk apparently. Yet it makes no odds on my policy if it's tucked away or left out on the street outside. Surely that doesn't make any sense?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think that would be a great way for the industry to shift towards as postcode plays a massive part in your premium. But if you're dealing with people who are familiar with the area themselves - or ideally, would be on hand to come and pay a visit to assess your policy, it would give a far better and truer assessment of your car's location. Of course that would never happen due to the costs and scale involved - but it would be a good solution for all.

Like my car is kept in a secure underground car-park and Bolton postcodes are a high risk apparently. Yet it makes no odds on my policy if it's tucked away or left out on the street outside. Surely that doesn't make any sense?
I'm going back a few years now. But I remember reading an article saying insurance companies changed their school of thought about cars parked in garages versus on the road.
It said that thieves had more time to break into a garaged car as it was out of sight , whereas on the road they obviously had more chance of being seen.
Another thing to try when insuring a car is if your annual mileage is say 10k a year split it 50/50 business use and social, domestic and pleasure. Try putting that in a comparison site and see if it brings your quote down. It did with me.
Postcode is a big killer if you have alot of false claims for crash for cash. I'm guessing Bolton is pretty high for false claims much like Blackburn and the surrounding area.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Greenlight are untouchable for me - Such a good price I don't even bother looking around anymore (at least £200 cheaper than others I've tried)

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Greenlight are untouchable for me - Such a good price I don't even bother looking around anymore (at least £200 cheaper than others I've tried)
Not for me, £270 with turinis and exhaust declared and 2k miles a year. I'm 41 with full no claims and live in the middle if nowhere with a low crime rate. Confused gets me quotes under £170

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
One other thing, what value are we all putting our 1*2s at on quotes? I'm being a bit ambitious maybe but I put 2k for my low mileage flamer

gavinf91

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9, Fiesta
One other thing, what value are we all putting our 1*2s at on quotes? I'm being a bit ambitious maybe but I put 2k for my low mileage flamer

3k for my RB on 86k which seems a little bit conservative these days. I’ll have to call my insurers and tell them it’s worth £3070 once I fit my washer blanks 😄

Clio 197
Doesn't really matter as they will pay out market value, unless you ask for an agreed valuation as part of your policy.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

I have yet to own anything greenlight want to insure! Picky and ignorant IME!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I might just go with the cheapest Confused quote I get as long as it has windscreen cover - fancy a new one😉

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I do find it a bit frustrating the whole insurance thing. Having not purchased car insurance since about 2001, it’s an absolute mine field. The online comparisons obviously aggregate data and Chuck through to a panel of insurers. I would prefer to actually talk through my vehicle. It’s a 3rd car, will probably do 2000 miles if it’s lucky, I’m 39 with 3 points and no accident history. But a company car driver and have been for coming on 20 years, however I have no proof of 20 years of no claim and my current employers policy is not to share claim data so I can’t get a ‘letter’ proving my non claim. I am named on my wife’s policy so is it possible to use that as evidence of non claim?

so a company I could talk to about my modifications (most of which are just because OE parts are not available) where the car is kept (in a locked garage in a Cotswold postcode) would be preferable, even if the quote wasn’t the cheapest. I would just sleep easy knowing that I hadn’t forgotten to declare my stainless steel coolant hose jubilee clips...

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im sure im paying greenlight around £348 for the year.

40 Years Old
20+ Years Driving
10+ Years NCB
No Points
Fully Comp
1 Named Driver (Wife)

Im now getting quotes on the Clio 197 F1 R27 With 2500k a year via Money Super Market much much cheaper.
I don't have or want Agreed Value on the 197 as its just a standard daily car which sits outside the house 4 days out of 7.

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 19.23.03.png

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Brentacre have been good for me the last few years. I like their customer service (I've had to claim a few times...) and they are very competitively priced.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Im sure im paying greenlight around £348 for the year.

40 Years Old
20+ Years Driving
10+ Years NCB
No Points
Fully Comp
1 Named Driver (Wife)

Im now getting quotes on the Clio 197 F1 R27 With 2500k a year via Money Super Market much much cheaper.
I don't have or want Agreed Value on the 197 as its just a standard daily car which sits outside the house 4 days out of 7.

View attachment 1506214
You're pretty much the same as me age wise etc and that's pretty much bang on what I'm get back price wise with confused

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
You're pretty much the same as me age wise etc and that's pretty much bang on what I'm get back price wise with confused

We had the Scirocco R Via green light and its was crazy, Wife done it through a comparison site and it dropped £200+ and it was all the same add ons like break down cover, Legal protection and so on and yet it was cheaper than them.

We had 3 cars with green light and now come the start of the year I won't have any as its much cheaper shopping around and going else where.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Thing is with Greenlight is they cover all mods, even power increases for free... that's a massive advantage for me. Before them I was with Aviva for years and very happy, but then they changed their policy to only allowing 4 mods for free, then you had to pay to cover any more (n)