ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IT in 10 Years

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
hardware............as in graphics cards and sound cards and what not, not software.

fpga's are hardware, that's what makes them special.

New graphics engine? Why sir, no problem...download....

The technology isn't there for consumer electronics yet (speed & price), but it will get there.

There was an Acorn RiscPC (compatible - third party as Acorn was dead) computer which the graphics card was entirely FPGA based. First stop was to make it compatible with what RiscOS expected. Next stop was to make it "super" by adding features like 3d acceleration and what not, all after the computer had shipped...to upgrade the user just had to download....

Revels Mum & Sister
Capacities of solid state disks going through the roof and in turn, prices coming down.

Superb PDA abilities on a watch-like device.

Most people having the ability to glow in the dark having been surround by wireless kit for decades. ;)

D.

Evo 6's worth 1 miwwwiiiionnn dowwar

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
You're doing OK I guess... although the vast majority of people are still using a mouse for desktop machines ;-)

Linux for one certainly hasn't 'died', it's literally everywhere.

Wouldn't say things have been too revolutionary, virt/cloud has opened up a new paradigm of computing but cloud is slow to take off for many reasons. Predictions for the next 5 years would be hyperscale computing.

No, No, Some and No.

PS2 & PS2 are capable of running linux, as is any processor with a MMU.

I'd imagine that the number of mobile devices running a linux variant pales in comparison to those running CE/Windows Mobile.

And mac os runs BSD, which pre-dates linux by a long time!

That is for sure.

Well this has certainly changed (Andorid)

There's no way Microsoft will still be around in 10 years - if they are it will just be xbox and office.
Their business model for OS's (bundling it free with new hardware) just doesn't work these days when people want a laptop for £250. Trying to force people to upgrade doesn't work either - just look at all the people/companies still on XP.

Linux/OSX will be the future - they just need to get better server OS's if they're going to conquer business's

Home users will just be using tablets - more and more of my friends have ditched computers for tablets. Easier to lounge on the sofa and surf the net etc... and no mouse, better interface.
Just look at the experience you get with an iPad for ebay compared to the web interface *shudders*

There's no way Microsoft will still be around in 10 years - if they are it will just be xbox and office.
Their business model for OS's (bundling it free with new hardware) just doesn't work these days when people want a laptop for £250. Trying to force people to upgrade doesn't work either - just look at all the people/companies still on XP.
Do you really believe that's Microsoft's business model?

Errr yeah - just the impression I've got from working in IT for 12 years lol

There is absolutely zero reason/incentive for anyone to ever upgrade a microsoft OS - every single one is just a bit worse than the last :(
Interesting, because the impression I get working for Microsoft for the past 10 years is very different.

LOL well you would wouldn't you ;)

The give it away for free with a computer then rape you for £250 when you upgrade business model doesn't work any more because the OS costs more than just going and buying a cheap acer laptop, and also the upgrades are turd so no-one bothers then MS get annoyed when no-one upgrades.

The mac business model of sting you for £1500 for the sexy hardware up front but then give you all the OS updates for £15 is a lot more sensible

As for the repercussions on the rest of the IT world - well yeah being a developer is fun when you have to make things work with 10 year old Windows/IE versions because no-one ever upgrades, whereas the safari/chrome/firefox users are all mostly on latest versions *sigh*

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
The give it away for free with a computer

They don't give it away! Surely the PC manufacturer pays something for the software licence!

If you buy a system from somewhere like eBuyer you can buy OS free for a reduced cost which clearly shows to me that Microsoft receive something for the OS........... or am I missing something?

Give it away to the end-user...

Yeah windows 8 they're trying a new business model, but IMO the whole universal OS for desktop/tablet/phone is insane and even giving it away they're struggling to sell it
It's a horrible experience on a desktop. Not bad on a tablet though

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Give it away to the end-user...

Yeah windows 8 they're trying a new business model, but IMO the whole universal OS for desktop/tablet/phone is insane and even giving it away they're struggling to sell it
It's a horrible experience on a desktop. Not bad on a tablet though

Desktops will be a business only thing pretty much soon, and when in business most people just sit in one or two applications or online apps anyway.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Desktops will be a business only thing pretty much soon, and when in business most people just sit in one or two applications or online apps anyway.
As an avid PC gamer I disagree with this comment. I also disagree with the comment about the death of the mouse.

They don't give it away! Surely the PC manufacturer pays something for the software licence!

If you buy a system from somewhere like eBuyer you can buy OS free for a reduced cost which clearly shows to me that Microsoft receive something for the OS........... or am I missing something?
You are not missing anything.

Yep - our entire company are on ubuntu desktops now. All they need is a browser, email, documents etc...
They can easily do their job with ubuntu or chrome OS

As an avid PC gamer I disagree with this comment. I also disagree with the comment about the death of the mouse.

I can see your point - I was obsessed as a PC gamer, £4k rigs 6 years ago. But honestly games consoles have such a massive market share and with the capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox720 most will be moving completely away from PC gaming

I'd rather play on my 46" tv with surround sound than a 24" monitor :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

you obviously missed the "pretty much" in there mate, some weirdo pc gamer is always going to want a pc, you're a tiny tiny minority though

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
From a networking and mobile perspective every form of media will be delivered in real time over IP. Downloading of films, music, games or whatever will be achievable in seconds both at home and on your mobile.

Homes will have GigE access speed.

Wireless hotspots will be in practically every public building and 5th/6th generation mobile networks will have upto FastEthernet speeds.

Your mobile will have masses of data storage. It will interface with your hifi/tv/home network over WLAN and you'll be able to stream music or sky tv straight from the mobile network into hifi/tv, or stream straight from your mobile into a friends hifi/tv or listen/watch locally on the phone.

Everything will be available everywhere at a touch of a button.

I have most if not all of this functionality already bar the network speed... so on track I suppose!

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
you obviously missed the "pretty much" in there mate, some weirdo pc gamer is always going to want a pc, you're a tiny tiny minority though
Tiny minority? 40,000,000 League of Legends subscribers and World of Tanks has something like 50,000,000. I wouldn't even like to think of the amount of WoW players. PC gaming is not a dying breed you know, in fact it has a far higher revenue than console gaming. Don't get me wrong there will be quite a lot of gaming being played on laptops etc, but the majority will stick with a desktop. Think of all the businesses that sell PC components as well like Scan, Ebuyer, Overclockers etc. They're all doing pretty well to be fair. Desktop PC's in the home will not be dying out anytime soon IMO.

Seriously - they will

40million people playing League of Legends is still less than the active subscribers on xbox live. Then there's the xbox players who aren't online, and PS3 players, and Wii etc...

As for PC Gaming supporting the PC industry - utter nonsense.
America alone has over 250million computers, so 40million playing a game is not a large majority of computer sales at all - it's the small majority - it's maybe 5% if you're really lucky
The other 95% of people who buy computers for things that aren't gaming, such as home users and businesses will move to tablets/smart phones, linux, chromeOS, macs etc.. more and more over the coming years

Seriously - they will

40million people playing League of Legends is still less than the active subscribers on xbox live. Then there's the xbox players who aren't online, and PS3 players, and Wii etc...

America alone has over 250million computers, so 40million playing a game is not a large majority of computer sales at all - it's the small majority - it's maybe 5% if you're really lucky
The other 95% of people who buy computers for things that aren't gaming, such as home users and businesses will move to tablets/smart phones, linux, chromeOS, macs etc.. more and more over the coming years
Some companies may move to Linux but I don't think it will be as many as you believe. You mention your company is using Ubuntu, how many users have you got?

Currently about 60 but looking to triple that this year

I have quite a wide network over the years of sysadmins and you wouldn't believe how many people are migrating

Everything is going "cloud" just look at CRM solutions like salesforce and document solutions like google drive + google docs. There's no need for local apps or local storage, you can run an entire business on google apps and it's a lot easier than exchange etc...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Even "serious" companies like car manufacturers are turning to cloud based storate, 5 years ago I would have doubted that happening this soon TBH!

Yup me too - I was pretty sceptical about cloud storage and cloud computing... but it really has taken off and left a lot of companies struggling to keep up

Currently about 60 but looking to triple that this year

I have quite a wide network over the years of sysadmins and you wouldn't believe how many people are migrating

Everything is going "cloud" just look at CRM solutions like salesforce and document solutions like google drive + google docs. There's no need for local apps or local storage, you can run an entire business on google apps and it's a lot easier than exchange etc...
For you to move to Ubuntu isn't an issue with those numbers. How do you envisage an enterprise with 50,000 windows machines moving? I am not sure it's that simple, BT for example have deployed 6000 Windows 8 tough books to their field staff alone, what is their migration plan and drive to move to Linux? Some of these enterprises have huge investments in their IT services and will not just be looking to move.

I agree a lot of services are moving to the cloud, Microsoft are currently offering many of the traditional server based workloads in the cloud now including Office/Exchange/SQL/Dynamics.

You then need to look at the support for all this, when you start moving business critical services you need to take into account your support costs. You don't really want to be running your whole business on various different vendors, each with their own support policies etc. One selling point we have to customers with support contracts already in place is they can buy a new product from us and its going to be covered for support with what they already have.

The point I guess I am trying to make comes back to your original statement that Microsoft wont be around in 10 years. The services and products we currently offer, along with the partner network is huge. Will we be around forever? Probably not, but there are enough clever people here along with some really great new things in the pipeline.

That's lovely but to be honest it's just a sales speech from an MS employee

Yes it's difficult for companies to move 50,000 windows machines and their are costs involved, but in a lot of cases the costs are lower than the ridiculous support/licensing fees from MS.

If "difficult to migrate" causes people to stay on a platform - you wouldn't have a customer base because everyone would still be on unix servers with dummy terminals ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You wouldnt believe how long some of the big corporates ive dealt with clung onto IE6 desktop builds phil, im talking about only a year or two ago still on it, lol, and that didnt even really work, let alone get them to move from something that does.

Thankfully not something I ever would be involved in, I know almost nothing about modern pc's personally.

That's lovely but to be honest it's just a sales speech from an MS employee

Thanks, I will take that as a compliment as I work in support. Might consider at a career change looking at the bonuses those sale guys pull in ;)

Yes it's difficult for companies to move 50,000 windows machines and their are costs involved, but in a lot of cases the costs are lower than the ridiculous support/licensing fees from MS.

If "difficult to migrate" causes people to stay on a platform - you wouldn't have a customer base because everyone would still be on unix servers with dummy terminals ;)
Enterprise IT strategy is a huge topic so let's just agree to disagree on this.

You wouldnt believe how long some of the big corporates ive dealt with clung onto IE6 desktop builds phil, im talking about only a year or two ago still on it, lol, and that didnt even really work, let alone get them to move from something that does.

Thankfully not something I ever would be involved in, I know almost nothing about modern pc's personally.

If you do any work with the NHS they mostly still use IE6 :(

Microsoft operating systems are such a massive t**t to work with. They need to pack up producing them. Everything else uses webkit in the background. Microsoft continuously spewing out shitty non-compliant badly thought out web browsers literally doubles my work :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just think if they werent spewing stuff out to double your work, half the IT bods would be out of work, and hence massive surplus of skills so a huge drop in wages.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Seriously - they will

Mate, you're comparing just 1 PC game to an entire console. For a start, there are more registered users on Steam than there is Xbox live, fact. Steam has around 54 million active user accounts with peaks of 6.6 million concurrent players at any one time. I think the Xbox record for concurrent users was around 3.3 million? The record amount of concurrent LoL players is 3 million, so there's nearly as many people playing just ONE game on the PC than there is on whole of Xbox live at any one time. There's even 4.8 million people on Steam right now and most Americans will still be at work! Now I know I haven't taken into consideration offline gamers on the Xbox but I also haven't for the PC as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l=english

Either way, that's just Steam, there's plenty more like Origin, Battle.net etc. League of Legends by the way is the most played game in the world, no console game comes even close to it.

Now, I'm not trying to start a PC vs console debate, all I'm saying is that PC gaming isn't dead, it's on the rise. I'll put my money where my mouth is and bet you £100 that desktop PC's are still thriving in the next 5 years. ;)

Oh, I forgot to mention that there were twice as many PC's with a dedicated graphics card sold in 2010 than PS2s, PS3s, Xbox 360s and Wiis combined. I don't have the latest figures though.

:)

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My pc logs into steam, I last actually used it a couple of years ago though. I'm not sure your figures are comparable to a paid service like the Xbox stuff where if people are logged on they are probably actually using it.