ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IT job market - salary related

SLK 350
Well I've been back in England for just under 3 weeks now, and am having quite a lot of calls regarding availability [I'm unemployed], however despite the jobs market being very buoyant it seems salaries have taken a knock.

What money would you expect for working a 3rd line support/senior systems engineer, 5 years experience, degree educated with MCSE qualification. Currently the going rate for most positions seems to range from 30-35k, start of 2009 they were 32-37k, London based.

Anybody else in the market at present?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Recession wages mate, probably 20-25k, if that. They'll give you lots of space for rises though, i.e offer 20k to rise to 30k or something.

Mini Cooper S
It's only a 2K difference, what you complaining for? Extra £120 odd a month after tax?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
35-40 ideally, tbf

Market seems fairly buoyant at the moment though it only seems to be banks/financial institutions recruiting

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
On London wages, 3rd line support with your qualifcations I would easy say 30k+ yeah, Im 2nd line support/project work with no MCSE, 100 miles from London and not that near 30k yet but over 20k.. :(

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Thrice.

I suppose it depends what company you work for, one with a tight budget will not offer those wages, one with an endless one may. Most likely as I said he'll be offered 20-25 with a rise to 30-35.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Thrice.

I suppose it depends what company you work for, one with a tight budget will not offer those wages, one with an endless one may. Most likely as I said he'll be offered 20-25 with a rise to 30-35.

I'm 2nd/3rd and earn what you think someone would rise to, have no MCSE and 6 years in the industry

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
You've already got a job. He's going to be getting one. It's take it or leave it just now I'm afraid. There is absolutely no way you'd get the same salary for your job if you quit and re-applied for it.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
You've already got a job. He's going to be getting one. It's take it or leave it just now I'm afraid. There is absolutely no way you'd get the same salary for your job if you quit and re-applied for it.

I would, because that's the going rate for my job at this place :p

I got the job in the middle of the recession FYI. Fair enough it may be a bit harder to obtain the jobs than it was a year ago, but good candidates will always get good money

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Why is that relevant?

You won't get a job in I.T any time soon with that attitude I'm afraid. There's plenty of people far more qualified and experienced than yourself who'd be willing to do a job for sub 30k.

Nothing at the mo :(
How old are you Magic?

I listed tangible accomplishments because experience is hard to sum up on a forum, what do you think I've ben doing for the last 5 years? I wouldn't get out of bed for anything sub 30k.

I would be willing to punch someone who said they wouldnt get out of bed for 20k. let alone 30k..

I couldnt give a s**t what qualifcations people have. If you turn down a job cause you think "im worth more" then you deserve a slap

Chelsea tractor
Why is that relevant?

You won't get a job in I.T any time soon with that attitude I'm afraid. There's plenty of people far more qualified and experienced than yourself who'd be willing to do a job for sub 30k.
£15k in Scotland is probably £25k in the City :p

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I would be willing to punch someone who said they wouldnt get out of bed for 20k. let alone 30k..

I couldnt give a s**t what qualifcations people have. If you turn down a job cause you think "im worth more" then you deserve a slap

I'd love to know why?

If I were qualified enough to demand a premium right now, I f**king well would be. Why under value yourself? People don't work hard and get places just for the fun of it.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
£15k in Scotland is probably £25k in the City :p

Flol. :dapprove:

I'd love to know why?

If I were qualified enough to demand a premium right now, I f**king well would be. Why under value yourself? People don't work hard and get places just for the fun of it.

5 years experience as a 3rd line support chappie and an MCSE is nothing special these days. For a comfortable 30k plus you need to be CISCO qualified etc.

SLK 350

Or perhaps they recognise that skills and experience is tantamount to a sum of money, and that figure is governed by the market. By your rationale, I'll offer you 2k for your french s**t box that you understand to be worth 5k, obviously you wouldn't be so arrogant as to reject my offer knowing it was worth more?

Comprende?

Magic, you fail on so many levels. Oh, and reference your post below, what f**king planet are you on. You have to be, what, 18-20 years old, cause I know for a fact you have not the first idea how business works.

Hint
, look at the link on page 1.

Last edited:
  dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Or perhaps they recognise that skills and experience is tantamount to a sum of money, and that figure is governed by the market. By your rationale, I'll offer you 2k for your french s**t box that you understand to be worth 5k, obviously you wouldn't be so arrogant as to reject my offer knowing it was worth more?

Please...

You've said it yourself mate. MCSE's are ten to a penny these days, couple that with the tight budgets the private sector have set itself and you're looking at earning about 10k less than you would have been 5 years ago.

I'd love to know why?

if you was in a job atm.. and someone offered you one.. then its different

But if you DONT have a job.. and your saying to people

I would rather be unemployed then take your 25k then your a dick

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I hope I am, I really do hope you get yourself back working Hoff, but changing that attitude might help when you start getting interviews.

All the best, and keep us updated.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Magic, you fail on so many levels. Oh, and reference your post below, what f**king planet are you on. You have to be, what, 18-20 years old, cause I know for a fact you have not the first idea how business works.

Hint, look at the link on page 1.

See my above post.

Hint: You say I have no idea about business? Kind of ironic when you consider that link to be reliable. :lolup:

Bumder With A Buffer
I hate people who say "I won't get out of bed for less then 25k a year or £10 per hour etc"

I'd rather have a job earning slightly less then what the "Market" says I "should" be on. At least it is money coming in. Shows you not afraid to work.

I hate people who say "I won't get out of bed for less then 25k a year or £10 per hour etc"

I'd rather have a job earning slightly less then what the "Market" says I "should" be on. At least it is money coming in. Shows you not afraid to work.

This is exactly what im saying.. getting out of bed for a set amount.. there's million of people in the world.. a jobs a job at the end of the day

DMS

A thirsty 172
3rd line support jobs at our company generally pay between £24k and £35k depending on experience and qualifications.
When I started doing 3rd line support here I was getting £25,400. Getting my CCNA: Security and CCSP pushed me to the top of the salary bracket. I'm now a couple of grand above the top of the 3rd line salary bracket but my primary job function has changed. I'm now doing Infrastructure Security work and only dabble in the 3rd line support stuff when I've run out of things to do (happens occasionally).

If I was to do the same job in London now I could probably earn close to £50k, especially with all the overtime I do.

I have been keeping an eye on the job market for years now because I believe a wise man will always keep his options open. The salaries advertised for 3rd line jobs have definitely dropped a few grand in the last year or two, probably due to the recession as has been pointed out already.

Bumder With A Buffer
This is exactly what im saying.. getting out of bed for a set amount.. there's million of people in the world.. a jobs a job at the end of the day

I know.

If anyone ever came for a job at my place and said "I expect to be on 35k a year and not 30k" I'd tell them where to go.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
3rd line support jobs at our company generally pay between £24k and £35k depending on experience and qualifications.
When I started doing 3rd line support here I was getting £25,400. Getting my CCNA: Security and CCSP pushed me to the top of the salary bracket. I'm now a couple of grand above the top of the 3rd line salary bracket but my primary job function has changed. I'm now doing Infrastructure Security work and only dabble in the 3rd line support stuff when I've run out of things to do (happens occasionally).

If I was to do the same job in London now I could probably earn close to £50k, especially with all the overtime I do.

I have been keeping an eye on the job market for years now because I believe a wise man will always keep his options open. The salaries advertised for 3rd line jobs have definitely dropped a few grand in the last year or two, probably due to the recession as has been pointed out already.

I'd happily take half that, for me not to work in London.

Some people love it, I certainly don't. Only been four times mind and everytime I couldn't wait to get out!

D.

The 1st line guys where I am get £22 basic + 13 % Shift (weekend/evening no overnights)

Thought that was low, obviously not!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

Also shows you don't value your time and skills. If it's a few grand, fair enough, but not 5, or 10

Bumder With A Buffer
I'd happily take a ten grand pay cut doing the same job I'm doing now. Just to not be a f**king bum/dole scrounger.

It also shows I'm not a greedy b*****d.

(I have taken a job with a company earning less then what I should get paid, whilst I looked around for another job I telecoms)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'd happily take a ten grand pay cut doing the same job I'm doing now. Just to not be a f**king bum/dole scrounger.

It also shows I'm not a greedy b*****d.

(I have taken a job with a company earning less then what I should get paid, whilst I looked around for another job I telecoms)

I don't agree with devaluing myself like that, tbf. If it was a last resort, then fair enough. I doubt many people would want to employ me for 10k less, I'd be bored instantly of whatever job it was that paid s**t money

Bumder With A Buffer
I'd clean toilets In maccy d's "if it came to it".

Providing the I get accepted before the poles etc of course ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
That's all besides the point, I doubt The Hoff is destitute to the point where he'd want to work in Maccy D's or take a massive paycut from what he was earning before