ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It's Arrived!!!!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Sorry to drag it out but is the 197 faster than a 172?

I didnt think about it much as there from totally different ages of hot hatches but the 197 is over 180kg's heavier than a phase 1?

25 bhp of a difference to lug an extra 180kg's about?

Its all about the gearing ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its all about the gearing ;)

Cant see it to be honest, from one car enthusiast to another you know full well of power to weight ratios of this im convinced, yes?

I didnt until today realise that the 197 was considerably heavier than the Phase 1 (ill use this as an instance seeing as i own one)

But to say its faster, but is it faster?

According to this website >>> http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp

The 197 will crack the quarter mile in 15.02, whilst the Ph1 172 will do it in 14.92, that isnt even a car length.

Honestly speaking id say its a hard one to call seeing as they arent a million miles away in performance, and to get the same calliber of driver, right conditions etc etc would ne nigh on impossible to call it.

I suppose the only real way to find out would be to do some sort of time attack round a track with the same driver. Id genuinley love to see all the 172/182/197's lined up on a run way and see what comes out on top.

I dont even think there would be a whisker between them to be honest:eek:

All this ofcourse is IMO and i hope to asspire to a 197 one day :rasp:

Black Gold Trophy
I like the 197s I just think they look gash without a rear spoiler!...
Cant understand it either because the spoilers come as standard on lower spec models I'm sure!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Doesnt need one!!! Spoilers just add drag. Diffuser, though probably only works at 100mph + looks much better than any stuck on tat!

White clique
The bottom line is the 197 is about 0.2 seconds slower to 60 than a 182, and is about 5mph slower top end, but who's counting? Its not like i time my drive to work to the nearest millisecond, its all about loving the car you own rather than getting upset about milliseconds.

Clio 172 Flamer
ive beating a few 197s but mine aint standard, ther isnt alot between 182s and 197, just the driver and if he has the balls :eek:

R56 JCW
Well, at Renault Sport day, had a 197 behind me, and i was constantly pulling away from him at Oulton Park

Whats different about urs Robson?

Clio 172 mk2
Still loving the 197, see quite a few around these days and they have plenty of road prescence without being OTT

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well, at Renault Sport day, had a 197 behind me, and i was constantly pulling away from him at Oulton Park

Whats different about urs Robson?

Whats special about your 182? I've had a few comings togther (172/182)and there is no marked difference in acceleration, certainly no constant pulling away :S I have come from owning a 172 Cup, and Cuppacked 182, so qualified to comment. ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had all of them. 172ph-1+2, Clio Cup, and a 182 and 3 197's.

197 wins hands down. Better built, safer, sounds better, more comfortable, and absolute rediculous amounts of grip.