ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JC5 casing differences

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Im having a nightmare with CTS and the rebuild of my cup gearbox.

The outer casing is/got cracked and was picked up during the rebuild , this has been welded and cracked again so got some spare casings from Northloop :up:

I have just had a msg from cts saying

The casings that have been delivered are different to the your originals.
The casings you have supplied runs taper bearings your original box runs a ball race held in with a cir clip.

Now as far as i was aware all the outer casings were the same/interchangable it was just the bell housing side that was different as only the early boxes and cup boxes had the speedo drive.

Can sea a breaking thread coming up as this is really starting to annoy me now, as they have had the box for over a month.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Ok just for future ref after talking to Agency transmission who i now wish I had used :( , there are a few different outer casing bearing configurations.

1 . Main shaft - taper bearing
Layshaft - ball race held in with a cir clip

2. Main shaft -taper bearing
Layshaft - taper bearing

3. Main shaft - ball race with cir clip
Layshaft - ball race with cir clip

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Well I didn't know that! Strange to think that there are 3 different configurations internally but all look the same externally. Would it have anything to do with when they changed the diff. I know my x plate ph1 and my 02 plate have different diff' sad when you remove the passenger shaft the ph1 has bolts showing and the ph2 was just a circlip will try get some pic's.

Anyway if it happens dibs on the gripper [emoji12] need 1 for my ph1 [emoji16]

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
This is most annoying!! I've seen the circlip bearing on a 130 box, but only the input shaft. Never seen both like it.
Did Martin say if you could convert the circlip held bearing over to a taper bearing setup? It just means it'll need to be shimmed up for preload.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Nope he said they weren't interchangeable :(
The car the box came out of was a 2003 172 cup but don't know if that was the original box to that car or if its a bitza box.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Tell me about it was meant to be at a track night tonight and racing on sunday, thats been over a month my box has been away and only found out about the crack last week.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Tell me about it was meant to be at a track night tonight and racing on sunday, thats been over a month my box has been away and only found out about the crack last week.
I'm wondering if you could convert your box to the taper bearings now? You've got the casings to do so, just means a bearing change basically.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Im giving them until Wed to get something sorted then Im going to get the whole lot boxed up and sent to Agency Trans.