ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Joe's Black Sapphire M135i

Skoda Fabia VRS
Christ alive it's been far too long since I've used this forum. Long time no...post?
Prior to this I had purchased a Megane 225 as a stop gap car for a year, well it was s**t. I just really didn't get on with the car at all. It lacked the special feeling I expected, it really wasn't quick at all, and it was horrific on fuel. So that was sold on New Years Eve to a local lad who split it for parts, and sent the shell to be crushed. #ripbakedbean

Any how, the new motor.

I had been eyeing up various different cars for a couple of months, since around November to be precise. I was looking at the typical Golf R, Audi S3, A45 AMG (although it's ludicrously priced for a non Aero model), Focus RS and finally the M135i. I had test drove a few of the bunch, looked at my initial outlay of monthly outgoings to justify costs etc, which drew me making a decision.

So I opted for the M135i, I think that's obvious by now! I'm just over 2 months into owning the vehicle, and I can say without a doubt that I've made the right choice. The power delivery is phenomenal, the handling is a perfect compromise of comfort and stability, the build quality is just sublime in comparison to my previous vehicles and the 6 cylinder engine note is just incredible. Overall I absolutely love the thing.
The 0-60 time is crazy, I'm on budgets at the moment and I'm still managing very low 5 seconds (with decent weather and tyres the 4.9 book time is perfectly doable). The torque delivery is just great, it pulls remarkably strong throughout all of the gears no matter what revs you're actually doing. Fuel consumption, is not so great...at least when you're in Sport + and Manual. While using Eco Pro, which for the motorway serves it's purpose very well, gives an average of around 38MPG, which is more than the Megane was capable of during my ownership.

One of the key features are that it's sort of like a wolf in sheep's clothing and with that I mean that it doesn't scream boy racer with the styling. The looks are subtle, and if you didn't spot the twin exhausts you may not even realise it's an M-lite.

So with that said, please find some brief images I've taken in the short while I've owned the car. I'll also pop down the full spec for anyone wondering.

M135i
Sapphire Black Metallic
April 2013 Model with a Pneumatic Wastegate
ZF Auto Box (This is such an incredible gearbox)
Electric Sunroof
Adaptive Suspension
Heated Seats
Front and Rear Parking Sensors
Pro Nav
Sun Protection Glass
Auto Lights/Wipers
Harman Kardon
Electric Folding Mirrors

The car is completely standard, but I am having a 3" Scorpion decat fitted as of Thursday!

40964118594_ed6489218e_c.jpg

40783892455_1638646d96_c.jpg

39867190650_08601d0159_c.jpg

27805347838_2ec4e937aa_c.jpg

27805351168_d7379c4f33_c.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
FFS. Saw the title and was going to post something about not being clean, then I see the first pick, gleaming!

Lovely, looks like you have all the options too (black panel display is something you didn't list but I can't see anyone speccing all that stuff and leaving black panel out?!).

Get a JB4 to go with the decat.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Decent cars, and love the stats.. they just look a bit dull!
Bland is key! It'll be having a spoiler, front splitter and change of wheels in the future to 'liven' it up a little bit.

FFS. Saw the title and was going to post something about not being clean, then I see the first pick, gleaming!

Lovely, looks like you have all the options too (black panel display is something you didn't list but I can't see anyone speccing all that stuff and leaving black panel out?!).

Get a JB4 to go with the decat.

When it's clean, boy is it clean. But after 5 minutes driving around South Wales, it's filthy!
Black panel display was a feature, I've just never mentioned it when jotting down the spec, probably a few things missed to be fair.
JB4 was on the cards, but I have the option to remap this and I prefer that option, not too keen on the Jb4 in all honest mate.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Decent cars, and love the stats.. they just look a bit dull!

Apart from the wheels (which are quite plain), exhaust, and the lack of fog lights they are identical looking to the right spec 118d.

I imagine that would bother some but I actually love the discrete aspect of it. Not many cars like it really - that look SO plain with the numbers it has, 400+hp with a decat and JB4... That's a higher power to weight than the original 911 GT3, with a butt load more torque.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
JB4 was on the cards, but I have the option to remap this and I prefer that option, not too keen on the Jb4 in all honest mate.

I'd take JB4 over a remap anyday for an M car. You get reknown power figures, data logging and the CanBus features (exhaust in sports mode all the time, live map switching and EML delete for when you fit a decat). The only advantage I can think of with a remap is that you can have the speed limiter deleted, but it turns out it's not often you hit it so no big deal compared to the other stuff.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but there is nothing memorable about the one series.

Doesnt matter what spec it has they all look the same, bland.

Each to their own though and as long as you love it that's all that matters.

@jamesycc where is that coming from, compared to what? It's just a fast hatch. IMO it bests it's competition but it's not trying to compete with M3s or Guilia QFs..
What I mean is some cars either do it for you or they don't.

Ive got two mates that had two iterations of one series and they just do nothing for me.

But I drive an orange megane so what does that say!!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
decent priced performance bargains these are now.
Get a map done when you get the exhaust, you'll need some pretty quick machinery to get past one then.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
M140i is definitely my next car. As always with BMW, the facelift just instantly makes the pre-facelift completely undesirable.

Looks well in black though.

Suzuki Jimny
Wasn’t very interested in these until last week when I had a go of my mates jb4’d M235i. Bugger me it’s quick!

Skoda Fabia VRS
decent priced performance bargains these are now.
Get a map done when you get the exhaust, you'll need some pretty quick machinery to get past one then.
I'm currently debating JB4/Remap, pro's and con's to both. I've already come up against some pretty quick machinery and it's left me utterly shocked. 400Bhp from either the JB4/Remap will be just ridiculous.

M140i is definitely my next car. As always with BMW, the facelift just instantly makes the pre-facelift completely undesirable.

Looks well in black though.
I personally disagree, hence the decision to go for the Pre LCI model. I could've got an M140i shadow edition for relatively similar payments, however it would've been a basic spec 5 door. Plus, I prefer the sound of the N55 and this one isn't leased. :D

Wasn’t very interested in these until last week when I had a go of my mates jb4’d M235i. Bugger me it’s quick!
They're silly quick I know, no RS250 Clio though... ;)

Skoda Fabia VRS
So I went for a drive up towards Brecon this afternoon and over to the Black Mountains. Second time with the M135i now and it's a pleasure to drive all around. This time I had the added fun of the decat, which has improved the noise tremendously well! It pops and crackles much louder, and when the exhaust is proper hot it does the odd backfire which makes me smile like a Cheshire cat.

The car is completely filthy and covered in the remains and body parts of numerous flies/insects, but I had to grab a couple of images.

41957058131_9202c158d2_c.jpg

41912712502_4b6dc3c94f_c.jpg

27088121047_f7e8dfa0b9_c.jpg

41912714052_43331a2a77_c.jpg

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
My friend had one of these, unbelievable cars! I think it was mapped as well. I was pretty jealous every time I sat in it to be honest, with the DSG box the acceleration just pins you back into your seat like no car I've been in.

He had a full custom decat fitted to his and it sounded absolutely awesome when giving it the beans- however it droned like f*ck when cruising above 60mph.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Guess who's charge pipe split...this guy.

Aluminium upgrade powdercoated black is in the boot, awaiting fitment along with some new tyres next week.
A few weeks ago I had the car on a dyno also just to see how she was running, and whether or not there were any improvements in power since fitting the Decat.

3a471a005bb9528b2a1fe5133929334e.jpg

Now the horsepower is where I wanted the car to be, at 315bhp stock I'm more than happy to see that let alone slightly higher figures. But the torque, well that's a bit higher than the 335lb/ft as standard. I'll take it with a pinch of salt, but it's definitely got a bit more punch lower down than when the OEM cat was fitted. Either way the drive ability of this thing is sublime, but it has me wanting more!

Had a little play with an Engine Dynamics low boost conversion a few weeks back with a mate. I was surprised at how well the Clio did whereas the Clio owner was surprised at how much I pulled away! I have to say, it has me wanting another Clio as a track toy, but boosted this time!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
My friend had one of these, unbelievable cars! I think it was mapped as well. I was pretty jealous every time I sat in it to be honest, with the DSG box the acceleration just pins you back into your seat like no car I've been in.

Believe it’s a traditional auto in these, 8 speed zf box, rather than a dct/duel clutch unit :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's a strange one for me with some of the German performance cars. I love the understated look of these (more so when they are debadged) yet find the majority of Audis look boring for being too understated. ?

What's the going rate for these, typically?

Skoda Fabia VRS
I paid £17,700 for this through a dealer, which I feel was fair with the optional extras and vehicle condition overall.

I'll probably be selling it next spring/summer though, should hopefully be opting for a mortgage around that time so need to drop my outgoings before hand. As soon as I've got my feet firmly planted in a home, I'll be looking at something else!