ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jonesys' S**t Shed Thread

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Hello and welcome to my small project!
Now if you are looking to follow a project where I drop some big-a** engine in, or turbo to large numbers then this is not the project to follow... well, that's not the initial plan anyway!

Please note most of the work (if not all) carried out has been and will be done by my good friends Rayo (Phil) and his team at Grange Service Station in Cardiff.

Background
So I've been a member of this site for a few years now, although I've mostly lurked in the dark - not being mechanical at all I don't have much to contribute to solutions and the like. So following on from that I may say/do/state stupid things... purely as I probably have no idea what I'm on about! I originally had an Arctic Blue 182, which I had to sell due to University commitments and basically couldn't afford to keep it running etc on my student loan! After that due to the convenience of living out with the girlfriend; I could use her car to get around so told myself I wouldn't get something until I was in a job and could afford/need my next car.
However, this sensible idea quickly took a turn for the worse when a Liquid Yellow 182 came up for sale! (Psst Spoiler: that's what this project is on!)
So long story short my lesson in life is you get what you pay for! - it was cheap.. for a LY at least, and as such isn't the best condition but we will talk about this below.

The Plan
As I eluded to above, the car is far from perfect condition, which, essentially is the purpose of this project. I'm not looking to transform it into a track slag, or some 500bhp beast. I enjoy the more cosmetic side of things and think that these cars look stunning when 'clean'. Don't be down heartened though, I'd love to turbo it or something one day just because, but that is not the first port of call for me.

Upon First Inspection
Buying the car on just short of 100k miles, at the price I paid wasn't the end of the world - I had no intentions of using it as a daily so the click wont be increasing at a fast pace. However, not long after taking it to it's first MOT it was kindly pointed out that the clocks had at some point been turned back 30k or so.... queue the inner screaming/crying :confounded:. There was no paperwork/mention of a replacement engine or that the clocks where turned back at all (like I said - you get what you pay for). With that aside, the inside of the car smelt of smoke, and the body work wasn't in the best condition. All of that said she seemed to run okay to me so all in I was initially happy with my newest purchase (I can't say recent as this is now over two years on!).

Current State of Affairs

Only a few months down the line the car started to generate an addiction to misfiring. Rayo's intial port of call was of course injectors! We plugged in his little gizmo and sure enough, injector 2 was producing, and I quote the machine code, a 'destructive misfire' (The only destructive work it did was to my sanity!). Injectors replaced, the misfire had calmed down, however it had not completely disappeared. So we plugged it back up and played a fun game of round robin with the injectors, one after another being the apparent cause of this elusive misfire. After changing a full set of injectors and the misfire still not completely disappearing we resorted to spark plugs and leads. Same story. Better, but not solved. Tried a replacement coil pack, lambda sensor, fuel pump, you get the idea. Still no luck, student loan is running thin so she gets stored away for a number of months to be future Steve's problem.
The months pass by and I finally graduate from University (please don't all applause at once), and it's back to the drawing board with an itch to scratch with this misfire. We take another look at the injectors, and would you believe it one of the injectors we previously replaced was faulty (presumably from its initial purchase). So, like a song on repeat we replace the faulty injector. Now although the problem was not completely resolved it was the best it has ever been, albeit a strange situation - when running she purred, no issues at all, as soon as she was sat idle the misfire began to take centre stage again, drive off and back into the dressing room for the misfire. Then when travelling to a friends one evening bang, either a single or a number of the injectors packed in altogether - the destructive misfire was finally here. Smoking more than a cool kid from the 70's it was time for a new plan. I then purchased a full set of second hand injectors with a new rail from a running Clio. Dropped them in. Problem solved. Did I want to jump off a cliff? You bet your a** I did. Nearly 2 years of constantly inconstant running and this is the way I learned that Clios only get along with a certain brand of injector....

So here we have it. My secretly high millage, slightly 'used' condition Clio was finally on the road - and running the best she has ever run!
I think that is enough of a base background for the first post... pictures coming soon...

I hope you've enjoyed the read if you got this far, there is a big surprise which will be dropped in the next update! :fearscream::kissingclosed:

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Update #1
So following on from my initial post, here are some less than interesting pictures of the car in question, looking extremely neglected and un-loved

35464395246_8285676ec1_b.jpg
20170407_163023 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Would you believe me if I told you this has genuine Renault exhaust mounts fitted?! (You probably would if I told you they have collapsed...)

35464400126_ec3ce2222e_b.jpg
20170407_163035 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

There seems to be bits and pieces painted in black that have peeled and cracked - these will be getting re-pained soon 😅

35503847985_574b185741_b.jpg
20170407_163017 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35503846375_aa7c91050f_b.jpg
20170407_162959 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

(Yes I know the injector guard and battery are missing - if you read the initial post I'm sure you can put two and two together:tearsofjoy:)

35373219531_ce57917a33_b.jpg
20170407_162931 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOSE?! - I'm not sure but they are going 😅

35464407856_77a92246ae_b.jpg
20170407_163107 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

One point I forgot to mention in the initial details, is for all the neglect and poor condition, the front and back of the interior are like two worlds apart!

Front and back seat belts - take a guess which is which...

35117447800_99c24e5587_b.jpg
20170407_163227 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Back seats looking okay...

35373240491_a8e6dd3343_b.jpg
20170407_163209 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Driver seat looking worse for wear (springs have also gone so even less comfortable!)

35336827762_f2b6702a5c_b.jpg
20170407_163122 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

I don't have a picture of the passenger seat, however picture the driver seat, but with numerous cigarette burn holes:frowning:😂.

The steering wheel is probably the only thing I'm happy with inside the car!
Yes no radio:pensive: and air-con buttons are faded etc!
35373235561_9e31be108d_b.jpg
20170407_163138 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

I know I promised a surprise but that will have to wait until the next post as this one got really big really quick!

Last edited:
  PH2 172
Update #1
So following on from my initial post, here are some less than interesting pictures of the car in question, looking extremely neglected and un-loved

8U46e5

Would you believe me if I told you this has genuine Renault exhaust mounts fitted?! (You probably would if I told you they have collapsed...)

tc4QN8

There seems to be bits and pieces painted in black that have peeled and cracked - these will be getting re-pained soon 😅

ukR34z

(Yes I know the injector guard and battery are missing - if you read the initial post I'm sure you can put two and two together:tearsofjoy:)

jK8B0d

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOSE?! - I'm not sure but they are going 😅

1x6D41

One point I forgot to mention in the initial details, is for all the neglect and poor condition, the front and back of the interior are like two worlds apart!

Front and back seat belts - take a guess which is which...

ZRU2mA

Back seats...

zkw9u0

Driver seat looking worse for wear (springs have also gone so even less comfortable!)
P1mvE7

I don't have a picture of the passenger seat, however picture the driver seat, but with numerous cigarette burn holes:frowning:😂.

The steering wheel is probably the only thing I'm happy with inside the car!
Yes no radio:pensive: and air-con buttons are faded etc!
4P145U

I know I promised a surprise but that will have to wait until the next post as this one got really big really quick!

That Flickr is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Update #2
Following my great excitement of FINALLY having it running and on the road, I decided the best way I could spend last Saturdays glorious sun would be to park it up and spend the whole detail giving it a long over-due clean. So travelling down the road to a friends house we set about doing the full exterior works. I think she scrubs up pretty well! Ignore the lurker hiding behind!
34662631994_4439038781_b.jpg
20170617_160959 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35117463200_f1fb15e15f_b.jpg
20170617_175422 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Me trying to be all artistic.... as you can tell it doesn't come naturally...
34662636234_91be5c1413_b.jpg
20170617_190320 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

After a crazy week of intense heat and melting in work, a couple of friends and I decided it would be rude not to go out and get some obligatory photos - as @Filters quite rightly pointed out "Pictures or it didn't happen". You will of course notice most of my friends are Jap fans :weary:.

Down Cardiff Bay - by the barrage and soon to be decommissioned Dr Who exhibit!
35117466090_ce3402e9e2_b.jpg
20170620_212422 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

A small run up around the the valleys in Wales.
34662639644_7420f9b93a_b.jpg
20170621_210319 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
34662644234_5c2a5776a7_b.jpg
IMG-20170621-WA0002 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

The next steps
After sorting out costs for an engagement party in a few weeks I had some spare cash 'lying around' so will be treating the girl to a few new bits and bobs this week! Pictures will follow once they have been fitted (Calipers will be cleaned and maybe painted while they are off!)
34662644214_80e8b1c614_b.jpg
20170624_130607 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35117469360_6faa360cc4_b.jpg
20170624_120541 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Update #2.1
Almost forgot to mention this one!
Not long after ownership the bonnet.. pull...thing.... (brain fart - can't think of its name), decided to snap because I'm assuming 'French' so had this replaced :laughing:
34662642894_547b8fd5e8_b.jpg
20170624_121859 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35117470250_fe8ca29639_b.jpg
20170624_121809 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
I can see its going to be something when your done.
Hope the belts are top of the list.
I hope so man!
Belts where done only a few weeks into ownership - although they have only seen about 5k miles in the past 2 years the 5 year mark will creep up before the 75k miles I think!

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Update #3
Due to popular demand (and the fact that I mentioned a surprise, and then completely forgot about said surprise..). About 2 months ago - while the car was at the stage of 'sort of running' - it had been back on the road for merely a number of days, when a delightful man of an older generation decide he would hit me :fearful:.
Now it nothing serious just a bump between the door strip and side-skirt behind the passenger door. Pictures as follows;
35464406056_f71b627ea3_b.jpg
20170407_163053 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35464404976_6847057e9f_b.jpg
20170407_163049 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Devastating none the less! Would you believe it, I won't go into details, but it was his fault, adn he then had the audacity to hurl abuse at me, swearing and telling me to 'watch where I was going', and then drove off! Long story short; I didn't get his plate, police weren't interested in this effectively hit and run, and told me to go through insurance if I wanted to do anything about it, which is why after considering my excess, plus how it would affect my no claims etc I didn't push further, which has left me with the bill 😢😢.
(Apologies for the delay on the surprise!)

Great base for a project this, can see there's plenty to do, but if you got the car for a good price as mentioned, then that makes it easier to handle the bits that need doing. Going up in value all the time these it seems! Those red powerflex mounts will be a huge improvement, I have them on mine :up:

Absolutely gutting about the side damage tho, ffs, as if you are now stuck with funding repairs when not your fault at all!!

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Great base for a project this, can see there's plenty to do, but if you got the car for a good price as mentioned, then that makes it easier to handle the bits that need doing. Going up in value all the time these it seems! Those red powerflex mounts will be a huge improvement, I have them on mine :up:

Absolutely gutting about the side damage tho, ffs, as if you are now stuck with funding repairs when not your fault at all!!
Plenty to do indeed mate! Car is all packed with mounts, brakes and new seats (albeit 172's - I didn't know there was a difference!) but they are like new so no major complaints for the moment. Good price compared to what they go for! Could have gotten a tidy Clio in any other colour haha but should be good fun to dip my toes into the car world etc! The price i've seen them going for lately is frightening!🙈
I hope so! Knowing my luck though they will hang at the right height but be angled off centre!:sweat:

Fuming doesn't even begin to describe it mate! damage is on the sill so I've been told they cant push it out, it needs to be pulled and filled - which in turn means painting... which in turn means hassle because of the colour:sweatsmile:.

BUT we will get there slowly!!:car:

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Update #4
So here we have it guys, just a small update with the following improvements:
Powerflex exhaust mounts fitted - I think this looks much better than before, albeit its not perfect, we think the pipe may be a bit bent after spending so long hanging the way it was before. But future plans will be to get a new cat and see if I can get the box aligned up nicely. Progress is progress.... right?
35607585576_c09d91dc8f_b.jpg
20170629_203309 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35478740232_bbba25ff4a_b.jpg
20170629_203345 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Brembo discs and pads all round, with the calipers cleaned from the layers of brake dust - they aren't the best condition so will (like most other parts) be replaced or re-vamped at some point.
35478741042_a40dace4fd_b.jpg
20170629_203243 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

The 172 seats put in my 182 (that annoys me A LOT) however with a quick clean - they have been sat in the garage for a month or so - they will be like new, the seats are super plump so can't really complain about the lack of white dots!
35607587896_dbf5951f9e_b.jpg
20170629_203230 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35478741962_0f7be64720_b.jpg
20170629_203224 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Just a few photos I took whilst waiting for the other half to get ready to go out the other night, along with some successful beading from the waxing a fortnight back.
34805856624_468f962443_b.jpg
20170630_213200 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35260367140_bd76933666_b.jpg
20170630_213137 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35607582026_391a05a02a_b.jpg
20170630_213126 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
34838100263_c374b8f91c_b.jpg
20170630_213112 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
35607583056_54ac945591_b.jpg
20170630_074122 by Steve Jones, on Flickr
34838101293_60f31a2efa_b.jpg
20170630_074119 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

Unfortunately (don't let her know that) but due to our engagement party this month I don't think i'll be able to get much done for a while now due to costs etc. With that said, the list of things to do is still substantial so I have no doubt an update will follow in the upcoming weeks!

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good!! Apart from the bump... need to lose the wind deflectors imo too though. I'm not a fan of them at all.
Thanks dude! Yeah we wont talk about that :triumph:. Ahh really? I like them 😌, only because of the black bits though as I think they add too it!

Progress is indeed progress matey, it's coming together well :up:

My OCD wouldn't allow the front and rear seats not to match in mine but if they are in better condition and bought for a good price, it's a no brainer....... not that much different afterall!

Oh and there were wind deflectors on my 182 when I bought it, thought they looked ok at first so I know what you mean and kept them on for a few months......... but they came off in the end haha

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Progress is indeed progress matey, it's coming together well :up:

My OCD wouldn't allow the front and rear seats not to match in mine but if they are in better condition and bought for a good price, it's a no brainer....... not that much different afterall!

Oh and there were wind deflectors on my 182 when I bought it, thought they looked ok at first so I know what you mean and kept them on for a few months......... but they came off in the end haha
Aye she will get there eventually!

Yes it's killing me! haha but the other set were stinking, springs gone in the driver so until I upgrade to recaros or just find a tidy set from a 182 they will have to do!!

Haha didn't know wind deflectors got so much hate on CS, will see how they go, may take them out and see what I prefer!

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
That's for sure!! Too expensive for me when I like the standard seats in my 182 anyway BUT........ you do get what you pay for! :grimacing:

Them flipping recaros are well expensive for a not very supportive seat

I've never actually sat in a set so I can't comment on their quality. Although I would expect you get what you pay for, but if @OssPoop is right and they don't offer great support, I may have to look at something else!
I'll try and find numerous different seats, try and get a feel in them and look at prices and balance things up that way :up:

This doesn't surprise me actually, I too have never sat in a 'Clio Recaro' but they do look like you'd kind of sit on them rather than in them if that makes sense. On the flip side, the Recaro seats in my old RS Turbo's are still the best seats I've ever had in a car. And these were 80's/1990 cars!!

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
This doesn't surprise me actually, I too have never sat in a 'Clio Recaro' but they do look like you'd kind of sit on them rather than in them if that makes sense. On the flip side, the Recaro seats in my old RS Turbo's are still the best seats I've ever had in a car. And these were 80's/1990 cars!!
With the hype and want around them I just assumed that they were the bees knees! haha, I want something that I sit in but without too much bucket? If that even makes sense haha