ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

July Photography Competition - Juxtaposition

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
After some fantastic entries last month, congratulations to A_Cro who won with the shot below.

A_Cro_zpsc3d028c4.jpg

The theme for June is Juxtaposition,

Wikipedia says - Juxtaposition is the act or placement of two things (usually abstract concepts) near each other. You can be really creative with this theme, and I hope to continue to get lots of high quality entries.

So - Entries close on the 26th July

The Rules:

- The photo must be taken this month.

- Post a maximum of 3 images at one time, you can come back with more pics if you have tried something different, but please stick to 3 pics max each time.

- You MUST flag one image as your entry, feel free to repost your chosen image towards the end of the comp with 'entry' above it, this will be placed into a new thread at the end of the alloted time for people to vote on. Only images with entry clearly written above or below it will be accepted.

- Try to keep posted images to a max of around 800px wide.

- No rules on photoshop use etc, but this is first and foremost a photography contest, not a photoshop contest.

- All images entered must be taken within this month.

- If you want to change your entry, you MUST PM me (jenic) before the closing date.

- If you haven't followed the above rules don't come moaning when your picture isn't in the voting thread.

The Winner will win a special ClioSport.net goody bag and pick the August theme!

Good luck !!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
No surprises that shot won, it's brilliant!

Hopefully think of something this month!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Well done, A_Cro! A well deserved win given that great shot!

I like the theme too, I'll see if I can get something for this on Saturday.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys. It was a good theme.
I'm just glad I got that shot at the beginning of the month, I had other ideas for it but never got round to doing anything.

Hopefully there will be another decent amount of entries this month with it being a theme pretty open to enterpitration (sp)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
f**k me thats the first theme i'm going to have to google! lol. didn't even think it was a word when I read it lol. Sounds interesting though, good choice! :)

Two different things work best for juxtaposed items. Ones you wouldn't normally associate together, two of the same thing even if different in size or age is a mild juxtaposition. Good example if you google is being served ice cream and fish on the same plate.

Assuming you aren't eating at the fat duck that is...

Nice spacing on the red arrows there, I found that yesterday at least 1.5 stops of exposure compensation was needed! Looks a better day today with bluer skies.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

lol ok. I think your supposed to have something a bit more than age, i.e. age difference of the same thing, or 2 different things with different ages doing the exactly the same thing. otherwise its just a child/farther on a step photo... that's just my opinion though :)

Last edited:
So, a big and small is okay (not the same plane or boat type).

Different style shoes are okay.

An egg and a orange are okay.

Even when you Google it (many results) and get old and new buildings, that's okay...

But two different aged people is wrong?

Dude, what are you on about?!

If your opinion was correct, it'd rule more than just my entry out of this comp. I'm a little p*ssed off with you targeting my picture when there's nothing wrong with it as far as the competition description is concerned (or even Wikipedia!).

Not to mention the fact that there have been some really obscure entries in the past few months/years.

What are you getting at? Why target me for some weak reason? Would you like me to remove my picture from the competition?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
So, a big and small is okay (not the same plane or boat type).

Different style shoes are okay.

An egg and a orange are okay.

Even when you Google it (many results) and get old and new buildings, that's okay...

But two different aged people is wrong?

Dude, what are you on about?!

If your opinion was correct, it'd rule more than just my entry out of this comp. I'm a little p*ssed off with you targeting my picture when there's nothing wrong with it as far as the competition description is concerned (or even Wikipedia!).

Not to mention the fact that there have been some really obscure entries in the past few months/years.

What are you getting at? Why target me for some weak reason? Would you like me to remove my picture from the competition?

why are you getting pissed off? I was only expressing my opinion. :S its a good picture, I just don't think its 'juxtaposition'. Everyone else's picture has the 'juxta effect' where something looks out of place/wrong with the scene. I just think yours looks like a normal farther/daughter photo. Like I said though, that just my opinion and has no bearing/influence on the competition. I was just discussing your photo.

What are you getting at?
not really 'getting' at anything, just discussing your image.
Why target me for some weak reason?
wouldn't say i'm targeting you, again i'm just discussing your image.
Would you like me to remove my picture from the competition
nope, tbh I couldn't care less what people enter, again your image stuck out at me so I commented on it. The competition is just a bit of fun.

you might want to reconsider using forums though if your not open to opinions/discussion on what you post, as that's generally what people do on forums!

Last edited:
Old and young is fine in my eyes - they are contrasting objects.

I'm gonna enter one this month - it's not great but I want to get motivated back into things :)

Entry
waddington_2013_6.jpg

why are you getting pissed off?
I'm a little p*ssed off with you targeting my picture when there's nothing wrong with it as far as the competition description is concerned (or even Wikipedia!)

I just don't think its 'juxtaposition'. Everyone else's picture has the 'juxta effect' where something looks out of place/wrong with the scene. I just think yours looks like a normal farther/daughter photo.
If you had put it that clearly in the first place, I would not have been annoyed. Look at it from my perspective - your initial comments vague and presented a flawed argument.

I don't think my ability to take criticism is at question here. I think it's your ability to clearly communicate the point you're trying to make.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Ladies, please.

f**k me it's been a difficult one this month :( I'm going to enter my s**t smart/casual shoe effort.