ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jumped on the "Light Painting" Bandwagon

I keep seeing shots on here about the above, so I thought id give it a try tonight. Bear in mind I know nothing about it, so I was pretty pleased that my photos actually came out lol.
The place where I went to was totally pitch black. No street lights or anything, bar the sky that had a red/orangey glow, my CS torch and passing vehicles.

6912431967_81fa1aa96b_z.jpg

Tried Light Painting by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6912432947_d2dff9322f_z.jpg

Tried Light Painting by Harpham y0, on Flickr

For a first attempt, without knowing what i'm doing, what do you think? :eek:

I'm quite pleased with my n00bish shots. I didn't expect to come out of it with anything lol. I really enjoyed playing about with it though. Ill probably have another go at some point soon.

EDIT: Ignore the light on the first one. I just lay it down there to see what results I got from it.

RIP Dan
Nice one, do you need to PS the pics in any way? or do you just run around on a long exposure (how long??)

The 2nd pic heart looks like a pair of balls too x

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
When I do them I use a 30sec exposure, the basic idea is to run around with a torch pointing towards the camera. Because you're relatively dark and constantly moving the camera only catches the beam of the torch.

Nice one, do you need to PS the pics in any way? or do you just run around on a long exposure (how long??)
The 2nd pic heart looks like a pair of balls too x
I like balls. :eek:

Nahh, I haven't even got PS. I use Lightroom to edit all my photos anyway. Just a long exposure.
I think it would look better if you turned your lights off.
Love the light trails in the background in both shots. I prefer the 2nd one too though.
True, but because I was in the middle of a country road, in pitch black, for my first go, I wanted my lights on to feel safe :p.

I prefer the 2nd shot too. I've put the first one up just to show one without my heart/balls ;).

When I do them I use a 30sec exposure, the basic idea is to run around with a torch pointing towards the camera. Because you're relatively dark and constantly moving the camera only catches the beam of the torch.
Ahhh right. I think I had about a 20-25sec exposure time on them shots. I was playing around with alot though (many that I haven't uploaded).

I may try out the crazy graffiti type that you did with Daveski's 172 tomorrow night.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Ahhh right. I think I had about a 20-25sec exposure time on them shots. I was playing around with alot though (many that I haven't uploaded).

I may try out the crazy graffiti type that you did with Daveski's 172 tomorrow night.

Yeah just play around with it dude. Look for somewhere with some good artificial lighting, some cool effects can be had!

Disastra Coupe
Liking the second one dude :) I'd say lower your ISO though as it seems a little bit grainy in larger view?

Liking the second one dude :) I'd say lower your ISO though as it seems a little bit grainy in larger view?
Yeah, I think I failed on that part. I thought that my ISO was a bit too high tbh.

Ill have another play about with it. See what I can come up with, once i've taken onboard all this feedback ;).

(EDIT: Surprised no one has commented on the s**tfaced exhaust yet LOL - I keep looking at this photo and its bugging me seeing it)

^ I plan to attempt to fit it myself on Saturday.

I think i'm going to attempt another go at this tomorrow evening, after work. Was too knackered tonight after work.