ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just a few questions

182 Cup
Im currently very strongly considering selling my dedicated 106 rallye track car in order to by a 172. The Rallye just isnt practical enough and as stupidly fun as it is to drive, I dont get enough use out of it to justify its ownership, or so I am trying to tell myself.

Just a few questions I have being a complete noob...

1. What are the differences between the ph2 172, and 182
2. Is the cup really worth it? Are the differences fantastic?
3. Has anyone ever modified a 172 bumper to fit a 182 exhaust or do they just buy the bumper?
4. Do 172 cups only come in blue?

Finally ive been trawling the site for pics of modified 172 and 182s, found some lovely examples. If anyone feels like a bit of ASW, please go ahead and show them off. It will only entice me more.

Thanks.

Clio's
1. What are the differences between the ph2 172, and 182
2. Is the cup really worth it? Are the differences fantastic?
3. Has anyone ever modified a 172 bumper to fit a 182 exhaust or do they just buy the bumper?
4. Do 172 cups only come in blue?

1. differences are the alloys, the seats slightly. and the plenum and manifold iirc which gives an extra 10bhp

2.there is a noticeable difference in the cup but it depends what u want from the car. if youre looking for practicality then your best not getting a cup.

3. yes it has been done. not too difficult really just cut the half circle out and then cover the rough edges up with the surround.

4. no they can come in silver as well but are very rare. also the silver cups come with A/C

182 Cup
My Rallye...

PA220244.jpg

M

mini-valver

1) The 182 has a 4-2-1 manifold and 200 cell cat, an RS stamped inlet manifold, IIRC a slightly different map and have no spare wheel well to allow for the back boxes.

2) Yeah, you have a Rallye so dont need faggy ABS. If you're looking for an RS for driving pleasure I'd have one in a heartbeat. They come in Mondial blue and Iceberg silver.

3) Do you mean the twin box set-up? If so, you can but you'll end up with a crappy restrictive bend at the back to get the 2 backbox's, unless you cut out the spare wheel well.

182 Cup
Ooh ok, surely the twin boxes have no advantage over a single exit system power wise though?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
To be honest mate between the Phase 1 172 the Phase 2 172 and all variants of 182 and 197. If they were to race togethe down a runway there would be little or no difference in where they finish up.

The power output of the 182 is hampered by the weight deficit it carries over the 172. Same goes for the 197, there heavier and dont possess a much higher bhp/per ton to compensate. Any 1*2 or 197 will be a s**t load of fun tbh!

M

mini-valver

182's are 15 kg's lighter than ph2 172's IIRC dude.

Twin boxes are pointless on a 172, you're creating work for yourself and could be taking away power from the 172 system which, in all fairness is very well designed aside from being made from tracing paper.

182 Cup
182's are 15 kg's lighter than ph2 172's IIRC dude.

Twin boxes are pointless on a 172, you're creating work for yourself and could be taking away power from the 172 system which, in all fairness is very well designed aside from being made from tracing paper.
I understand that, I never before knew there was a wheel well in the 172 that the 182 does have. I think it looks smarter and I dont like the single boxes poking out under the 172 rear bumper. Its not a major issue! All I really wondered was whether it was easy enough to up the power on a 172 to match the 182. How come you guys call them 1*2's?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
1*2 instead of "172/182" or "172 and 182" etc, just quicker and shorter to type.

For a 172, you could also just keep the back box hidden, "stealth". K-TEC do a good steath box. I always wanted to have a single rolled lip exit recessed into the bumper, but since I've had my 172 I prefer it hidden.

All depends on what floats your boat. Another option anyway.

M

mini-valver

Knew I was right ;)

I prefer systems like the OMP which just a slutty backbox under the bumper but its personal preference. If you prefer the look of a 182 exhaust, buy the 182. You'll find some 172's make more power than a 182, the engines vary massively!

182 Cup
Ive got a supersprint on my 106 which looks the same as the omp systems. The rallye is a pure ****. 182s are out of my price range unfortunately, looking at the stats though it appears the 172 cup would be the one to have.

M

mini-valver

I'd DEFINATELY have the cup fella. Just dont sell the Rallye, love it :D

182 Cup
I went out in my friends 182 cup the other day which seemed liked fun, he kept saying to me you wont notice the difference in power with a 172. With such minimal differences I am imagine it cant be hard to match the power anyway. To be honest I dont really want the extras anyway!