ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought an MBP...

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
Hi guys,

So I've just bought an MBP and it's my first Mac. I have always used desktops/laptops with the various Microsoft OS going back as far as Windows 95. Switching to the MBP is quite a difference and I really feel I have been missing out.

At the moment I have had it for less than a day, I have navigated my way around most of it's features, synced it with my iPhone (which is amazing BTW!!), and surfed the net. Basically I am just getting used to it.

What I'd like from this thread is your opinions about what software/apps to use and what cool features you like to take advantage of. I'd like you guys to give me tips on things I may not know about having come from Windows.

:)

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
Adium for chat n tings.
I had a quick look at this and it does seem good but I don't use any of the chat applications that it supports. Cheers though :)

Gestures, get used to them and they will be your best friend!
Gestures do seem a great feature, I have learnt a few but will definitely take some time out to learn the rest.

Learn some of the command prompts. I found them to be a useful feature.
Do the command prompts to similar things as gestures? Or are they more for whilst you are using applications? I have learnt one or two so far.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
They might be the same, I call them command prompts anyway. Where you press command and q to close a program for example.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
I've learnt a few of the keyboard shortcuts, many of them are similar to Windows so I've picked them up quickly. Just sorted out my iTunes and now everything is switched over from my old laptop!

My favourite feature so far is a simple one - using Messages to communicate with people that I would have previously been doing on my phone. It makes it so much easier.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
So I've just installed Steam, any one recommend any good Mac games that are cheap on there?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I don't know about steam but you can get roller coaster tycoon and civilisation 5 from the App Store.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
Yea I'm tempted by RCT, I played that a lot as a kid. There doesn't seem to be as much choice as with Windows.

"Magicprefs" set up 4 finger click to close window and a five finger click to quit the app. You won't believe how much you take that for granted after a couple of weeks,

when I use the work windows computer I feel like throwing the thing across the room because its such a ball ache to use

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
Still loving the MBP, got used to it now and it's a breeze to operate in comparison with the old Windows laptop. My favourite thing is easily iMessage and FaceTime as well. Thanks for all your suggestions, keep them coming!

FF Clio 182
I bought my first MBP when the new Retina Display ones came out. Best thing about them is they don't lack power. If you have lots of windows software, i would recommend setting up a virtual machine using fusion so that it doesn't all go to waste. I have a Windows 7 virtual machine that i use for all my windows only steam games, it also makes the transition from Windows a lot stressful because if you get stuck just fire up your virtual machine. I been using Mac OS X for about 6 months after coming from Windows after about 11 years and its so easy to pick up. I found it easier to learn OS X, a completely new os than to learn Windows 8. Windows 8 in my mind is where Vista was after XP. Anyways getting to the point, Well done for changing from Windows to OS X, like i said i done it and have never looked back. Ok lots of people give you stick for owning a Mac but thats just jealousy in its raw form. I couldn't justify paying £500 for a laptop that would be outdated in 6 months and paying £300+ for a OS and Office. As i said earlier stick with the Windows virtual machine so you don't lose you edge with it, as it is the world most used OS so it helps. Anyways good luck with your Mac, enjoy it and after a while you will realise that you have been missing out.

Carl :)