ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just done the rstuner thing and....

172DD Cup
well, i have some questions, but rather than ask i'll just list my observations and you tell me if it's standard practice while the ecu learns its stuff :)

1. it stuttered a few times at low revs (<2k rpm) even when warm.

2. after driving around for 10 minutes i tried a performance run and it hit the limiter at around 6500rpm. how long does it usually take for the ecu to release all its revs?

3. the throttle didn't feel as urgent, but it did pick up well. it felt the same as if you had a slack throttle cable. initial press felt a bit soft before anything happened.

4. once it got going it was a definite improvement. the kind of pull you got around 5k rpm now happens at around 4k rpm and it's a smoother increase.

5. with the limit i hit 101kw (135bhp) at 6100rpm, i won't read anything into this of course.

so, what do y'all think

172DD Cup
yeah i went with 1200kg but perhaps i over estimated. i figured:
1021kg car
71kg me
50kg fluids guesstimate (half a tank of fuel, everything else topped up)
= 1142kg

i had some crap in the car but maybe not 58kg of crap.

172DD Cup
been driving it a bit more, like you tend to do.
it still hesitates a bit low down. again, just above 1000rpm and it kind of jumps. not very much at all, just enough to notice. it only did it once this morning but i'm learning to drive around it a little.
that slack throttle pedal feeling is still there but i think i just need to adjust to it. i would have expected a bit more urgency on a performance map though.
but i must add that it IS urgent once you get over that little feeling of slackness. it accelerates much quicker. i use to get a bit of a flat spot if i changed into 4th at around 2k rpm but that's gone now and the change into 4th is surprising, as soon as you go from 3rd to 4th even at low revs you don't expect it to kick as much as it does.

i use morrisons 95ron, i don't suppose that is part of the problem? the ecu should be able to adjust to this shouldn't it?

i'd defo recommend it, i just hope the little probs iron themselves out with a few more cycles.

172DD Cup
alot of cars are designed to use 98 ron but the ecu adjusts to 95. (take a look inside the petrol cap on your clio) ;)

edit: no not yet, i'll email him soon though. the manual does mention that it will take 10 cycles for the idle to settle so i'll give it a little longer.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Henks performance maps are designed for 98Ron fuel, it still has the safety margins for 95 ron and that may well be the slight hesitation your feeling, you could always try some decent fuel and see what its like? But it will prob take a few tanks for the ecu to make use of the better fuel?

Now Sold :-(
alot of cars are designed to use 98 ron but the ecu adjusts to 95. (take a look inside the petrol cap on your clio) ;)

Indeed but you have overwritten the original calibration with a custom one that is designed specifically to use 98 Ron fuel. Why bother putting a performance cal on if you're not going to use the fuel recommended to get the best out of it. :rolleyes:

Mental 172 Cup
supermarket fuel is probably the worst fuel ever known to man. i hate it,

i mapped my 172 cup with RS tuner and at the time I was using V-Power, now its running tesco Momentum 99 and its still running just as good if not better.

Luke

Golf GTD Mk7
supermarket fuel is probably the worst fuel ever known to man. i hate it,

i mapped my 172 cup with RS tuner and at the time I was using V-Power, now its running tesco Momentum 99 and its still running just as good if not better.

Luke

All comes from the same source mate ;)

172DD Cup
is the stat one of those "only use genuine renault" parts?
i was meant to fit a pattern part i got ages ago, but it didn't arrive in time and the need to get my car up and running was greater :)

350z, Subaru Legacy
I've only tried a couple of tanks of Tesco 99 - but my car definitely idles/responds to throttle a lot better on Shell V-power; which it was mapped on.

I believe they both get their petrol from the same refinery in my area, though I know that fuel additives vary.

But for me the proof is in the driving.

172DD Cup
on drive home from work it's still hesitant. i put it in 2nd at 1500rpm and accelerated and it was the same :(
i've emailed henk, will see what he says.

172DD Cup
i've got ported inlets and phase 1 air filter to go on. that will introduce even more air to the apparent lack of fuel at those revs. may have to live on 98.

i do about 200 miles a week, how long do you think it will be until i see the benefits of a richer fuel, or is it more to do with diluting the 95 ron enough?

well, i have some questions, but rather than ask i'll just list my observations and you tell me if it's standard practice while the ecu learns its stuff :)

1. it stuttered a few times at low revs (<2k rpm) even when warm.

2. after driving around for 10 minutes i tried a performance run and it hit the limiter at around 6500rpm. how long does it usually take for the ecu to release all its revs?

3. the throttle didn't feel as urgent, but it did pick up well. it felt the same as if you had a slack throttle cable. initial press felt a bit soft before anything happened.

4. once it got going it was a definite improvement. the kind of pull you got around 5k rpm now happens at around 4k rpm and it's a smoother increase.

5. with the limit i hit 101kw (135bhp) at 6100rpm, i won't read anything into this of course.

so, what do y'all think

This doesn't sound right at all

With the rs tuner remap the time before full revs is allowed is lowered - mine is around 2 minutes - definitely not 10
Mine idles a lot better with the remap on - no stuttering at all

Are you sure you've loaded the performance map on it and not just updated the software?

172DD Cup
there's a definite improvement in performance. i used the 6500_5404_98ron map
i mailed henk yesterday and he asked me about the front o2 sensor. that's quite new so just waiting for the next reply. i do have a fault code on the second sensor, but this doesn't do anything so not sure that's the problem.

clio sport
are u now running on 98ron fuel ,if not what was the point in loading a 98 performance map then running on 95 supermarket s**t

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Take it for a good drive. You can empty half a tank in a couple of hours with the right amount of blasting

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
i use morrisons 95ron, i don't suppose that is part of the problem? the ecu should be able to adjust to this shouldn't it?

Worse fuel we have ever seen time and time again.

On a standard octavia back to back, i.e. drained it on the dyno then added vpower the morrisons fuel was down 10hp and knock correction of -7.5kw! Vpower had 0 correction

Mk5 golf gti
Fuel makes a massive differnce

it will run s**t on 95ron with the performance map

get it filled up with vpower

172DD Cup
8p/ litre difference! oh well, if morrisons is really that poor i don't really want to be using it. how is morrisons different to other supermarket 95 ron?

rstuning, i'm the chap that has been emailing you about the hesitant (kpmatthews@.......com) the lambda sensor is only a couple of months old, although i guess that doesn't matter if you think the fuel is the issue :)