ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just got hammered by a Type R

I test drove one prior to buying my main car (Subaru Impreza Turbo) and the Scooby won hands down...

When the time came to buy a second car, I thought long and hard about a Black Type R, but decided against it.

Why?

Because a company called Renault released the Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup, with a better power to weight ratio, faster acceleration and much more grin factor than the Honda, so I bought one. And love it!

Oh yeah, did I mention the small matter of a £3,000 saving against the Honda too?

The CTR is just one of those cars I cannot bring myself to like. It may be fast and handle well, but it just has no character and no soul.

if you look at the civic not the Type R its too tall and slab sided, dunno how they made a type R out of it?

According to legend honda produced a small amount of honda civic type Rs but in the older 96-00 range that were never brought out in the UK - Ive only ever seen one in my entire life for sale...

Was Black with White Alloys, Red Recaros and had figures of 0-60 in about 5 1/2 secs and god knows what top speed.. would have died for it but it was over £10k and i was like 19 at the time:(

Revels Mum & Sister

Yeah I have seen one!

There are a few imports about.

Dont agree with some comments. I much prefer the Civic to the 172 or Cup after driving all of them! Just my personal opionion!

And what makes the civic have more character and soul over the 172!

Black type R for me. Or maybe an Integra havent decided!

Quote: Originally posted by Liquid_ICE on 04 May 2003

Yeah I have seen one!

There are a few imports about.

Dont agree with some comments. I much prefer the Civic to the 172 or Cup after driving all of them! Just my personal opionion!

And what makes the civic have more character and soul over the 172!

Black type R for me. Or maybe an Integra havent decided!
Black Type R Civic!!!!!! or Intergra !!!!!!!!! both are really nice cars mate!!!!! Hope you enjoy it :D

Revels Mum & Sister

Hehe No one thinks so on here ;)

Too defensive over there shopping trolleys hehe!!

I do like the new Clios but the Civic or Integra tops it for me

Mike you get MSN mate!!

Bri,

the civic you describe afaik was only championship white.

there was the option of vinyl seats and plastic gearknob so it didnt matter if you crashed, !!! but most have the red recaros and similar dash to a itr.

the engine was the B16 and it produced over 170bhp, it was very light and geared simply perfect, revved to 8800rpm and the 0-60 was 5.7 secs, which seems fast but i remember reading an article about imports in which one was featured and on accurate timing gear produced a 6.2 0-60 dash in wet weather which is simply AWESOME, there are some in this country, in fact i saw one only the other day which was a surprize

My flatmate has a black CTR, but he also kept his old Valver. I guess that for Valver owners the whole VTEC late cam thing is easy to live with, so it seemed like a natural progression for him.

It may also have had something to do with the 16vs low trade-in value, but my flatmate swears that he kept the 16v because it handles much better and says the CTR isnt any faster down the country roads. He said that he just needed a reliable car and that while his CTR will go, his 16v will stay!! Cant see why he didnt go for the 172 myself, but he says he prefers the CTR image (Mr Muscle/geek to me!!).

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I cannot deny that the CTR is a fast good handling car, but I also cannot bring myself to like them because they are so undeniably ugly..

Revels Mum & Sister

_KDF

they are an aquired taste hehe. Honda and Ren garage are next door to each other so see both together. I like the look of the Civic!! Just my opionion

You cant say the ITR is ugly!!

in process of selling my valver and saving for a mint end of line white integra,

wicked motor,

the honda b16 and b18 engines were the best of the lot and its a shame they dont make them like this anymore. the vtec kick is much more apparant on these engine,

may have a clio now but cant wait to get mine, for the money yes i could get a mk1 or mk2 172 or cup or a new civic type r but for me its gotta be a teg R

hailed as the best handling FWD car ever produced and limted numbers make em a exclusive car

ben h

no character or soul, who ya kidding the new civic might have less but the type R honda have character and a wicked engineered vtec engine as its SOUL, vtec power is the heart and soul of a good type R

either way you look at it ek9 type R and DC2 type R are the cars to have

wongy

the standard civics are stinking but the black type rs are class looking, standard alloys are mint too, a bit pricy at the mo, hope they go down a bit in the next few years

Get yourself a test drive in a civic type-R you will not be dissapointed. I test drove a mini cooper s, 172, focus 170 and Type-r and there was no contest.Performance is awsome with the sweetest gearchange (no reaching down away from steering wheel between seats, some day other manufacturers will catch up) build quality is excellent,no squeaks or rattles and it handles like its on rails. one critisicsm is the steering feel which takes some getting used to. take your chequebook because when you hit the V-tec for the first time there is no going back.check out civic type-r owners forum for top speed (157 out of mine on a private road of course) pictures of speedos in the 160s.

Be gentle with replys until you drive one

Geoff B

The new civic type S - lol - thats basically a detuned type R and thats what a type R looks like under the 5 extra body panels it has! - how sh*te does it look - wait till the boys start buying the skirts, hatch spoiler and front and rear spoilers to have a look a like!

CTR EK9 turbo

geoff b - i drove a type R and was dissapointed, especially after all the hype about how much in another league they were to my car. Had to rev it above 6k to get it moving and 4-up it felt slower and more numb than my car 4-up. I felt like i was sitting on the car rather than in. I know the clios driving position is too high, but i always feel part of the car. Im not saying the 172 is faster by the way, although its certainly not slower (than mine anyway!) having raced 3 different CTR and none of them have got past or pulled away all the way to flat out. The only one that did win (number 4) beat me off the lights by going on orange (therefore cheating!).

I like the looks of them, but i dont think they deserve the over-hyping thay the owners give them

Wait till I get my Type R... I will give you a race and whoop ur arse! You prob race some old git with one hand so he takes 5 years to change gear.

CTR EK9 turbo

Ok il "wait"...... Always up for a toast.

3 old gits i guess it mustve been then. And over !35 mph- probably grandad stig taking it easy then.

Im bored from waiting already.....;)