ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just spun out on a round about !!

Megane Mk4
Akira2506 said:
haha, yeah...its good fun when it almost goes... for like 3second after ur in a daze...then u realise ur hands are SQUEEZING the crap out of teh steering wheel... lol.

yeah .. I'm sure I left imprints in the top of the steering wheel with my nails ! lol
Oh yeah .. almost forgot, the bend ... It was just off a roundabout too! but its a nice fast bend well... until you get about halfway round :S
lol

Andi

BG 182 FF
how old is most people on here with 172/182s? id die within a week of owning one lol i know it :S

Megane Mk4
lol .. Thought I was going to pop it 2 weeks ago :(
30 year old here ... yer see, even us "oldies" misjudge every once in a while ;)

Andi

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
Well, tbh, driving has to be fun, and yes, I know it should be in a safe controlled environment. But, everyone on here has exceeded the speed limit before, everyone has cheekily gone accross on amber, etc. In a perfect nanny state, we could all obey the traffic laws, and everything would be rosey. But where would the fun be? :)

IMHO, I think I'm morally better for driving "Enthusiastically" on country-roads than chavs are for using 30mph zone to run the 1/4mile. I try to only endanger myself.

I'm gonna sound really immature here and say in heinseight, my first spin was actually quite funny. My passenger at the time was a regular in that seat, and is quite used to the lift-off oversteer the clio can execute in the wet, and normally when the back goes out, it comes back in. Anyway, stranded in the middle of a road with a flooded engine I said to my passenger "When did you know I'd lost it?" he replied "When I was looking out the back window to see which way we were going." <--rofl

-Akira

Megane Mk4
lol @ Akira, Ahh the simplistic style of the clio backend! Gets most people. :)
In a sense I'm glad I aint the only one that almost got carried away with it, but in my defence I was doing 50 in a 60, road was damp and I got a little big-headed for the bend I think ;) lol

Still, cars ok and my underwear were slightly browner than average :D

Andi

I thought I new the road.... well, I knew the lefts and rights, just not the ups and downs apparnetly...whoops! The clio does spin nicely if there is such a thing, 'tis very graceful... not at all violent... lol.

FF drift... booyea... (yes, that was sarcastic before somebody lectures me...:))

-Akira

I have to say, im quite impressed with the maturity in this thread so far. When i saw it last night, i was expecting it to be filled with self righteous people having a go at him for driving dangerously.

As has been said, we have all driven a little hard at times, and no doubt most of us have come unstuck at one point or another.

Learn from your mistakes, and learn the limits of the car. One thing i will say is, that i dont think anyone can really learn the limits of their car in 3 months of driving. And i wouldnt reccomend trying to learn them in this weather.

Take it easy mate, and wait till the warmer/dry roads and then push the car a little. :D

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Joef said:
how old is most people on here with 172/182s? id die within a week of owning one lol i know it :S

LOL just missed your post above! At least you have realised your mistake, see it as a developmental point! Im 23 mate ;)

Clio 172 mk2
Unlucky but it happens to us all sometime or another.

I would check your tyre very carefully as damaging the casing/sidewalls can create this droning noise you mentioned.

BG 182 FF
Neil G said:
Unlucky but it happens to us all sometime or another.

I would check your tyre very carefully as damaging the casing/sidewalls can create this droning noise you mentioned.

what shud i be looking for?

BG 182 FF
just took it to the garage i got it from and sed its making a funy noise, didnt mention the spinage lol :rolleyes: . they got in an drove around with me an they concluded it was the wheel bearing, theyv orderd one in and are fixing it under waranty !! buut, when i look at the car from the back the rear left wheel is every so slitly on an angle, not alot but a tiny amount. this ok to drive on?

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Would have been cool to see it on video :D
I was in my brothers MG and he spun it down hill on a sharp bending road.
Was good fun :p glad there was nobody coming the other way though! :eek: :S

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I Have fortunately never spun a car in the 6 years I have been driving, I've got it out of shape on numerous occasions, Mainly underbraking if something unexpected happens and I've over react with the brakes or not reading road correctly but always managed to get it back in .(Looks for wood and touches!!) I do drive Enthusiastically but I learn't to drive RWD and own a pretty lively RWD car and as such I have learn't to feel what the car is doing recognise when its going to go far and act accordingly, You tend to find that your driving style changes to accomodate RWD and in turn you can apply the same principles to FF.

To be fair to the lad you do need to be very quick and act right, Its easy to follow instinct and hit the brakes Its difficult to act against instinct and does take some practice (try to avoid practicing on the road tho!!) also its in these situations when power is your advantage if you were flat out in a 1.2 then its always going to be difficult to get it back in.

Fair Play to you tho for saying it how it is and not buttering up the story to make yourself sound cool!

Someone said earlier about talent and expierence, I view expierence as the preventative methods of avoiding a spin and talent to deal with it if it happens. Luck also comes into it and that is for the person who spins but manages after failing to prevent or act on a spin and still does not to hit anything and drives away a little red faced.

peugeot 106 gti
was scary in that car thort we wer gunna t**t a lamppost or summit!! never good but iam sure joes learnt buy his mistake!! lol

hahaha, my names Joe... Joes must like to spin ^_^

Lamposts are fine, they bend.... Trees are the bugger, lol. You aint ever gonna knock down a 200yr old Oak tree...

I do am impressed by the maturity of this thread... I have to keep making sure im on Cliosport ;)

-Akira

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I lost the backend of my 172 doing 15 mph on a roundabout lol.. they have very unpredictable rear ends.. to this day I still dont know what it was, ive take the same roundabout probably 6 times a week and its only happen once, luckily for me I was going so slow that a bit of opposite lock and resisting the temptation to brake straightened it back up again and I didnt hit anything ... scared the s**t outta me too..

E90
its normally lift off inspired, bit of under steer panic and lift off, and round comes the back, i've had it in the dry on the ring,lol what u have to remember is just get back on the throttle and it will naturally balance its self out,i didn't on the ring and it snapped back the other way. not getting back on the throttle is more likely to end ina spin as is touching the brakes. once its mastered and u expect it coming, u can have a bit of lift off fun, i'm not condoning hammering round yr fav roundabout sideways like i'm prone to do, but dont be frightened of it.

E90
i have had it happen at low speed in the wet, on german motorway slip roads usually, and thats on part throttle, tyres can also be a factor, i had Avons on the rear at the time, frightening tyres imo.

Aye... on the non-sporty Mk1s, the Clio torsion bar doesnt really let u correct it... as I say, a torsion bar by design is non-progressive, so it bounces like a git. It's a shame, bc apart from that, I find the Mk1s to be really well balanced.

-Akira

R35 GTR
I dont think i have ever had the back end go on me. I am sure the front does it alot though, i think its called understeer? Going round a roundabout, the front starts sliding a little, i turn in a bit more and it all of a sudden bites.

I cant wait till we get on the airfield next month, I think I have alot to learn still.

Yu-huh, thats FF understeer ^_^ front wheels doing too much work and they just loose grip and go straight forward.

However, the reason it "snaps back" isnt bc u put more steer-on. Its because by turning the wheels more, u decelerate the car, which trasnfers weight to the front wheels, which restores traction :)

Try lifting off semi-sharply, or gently tapping the breaks :] this'll also get weight to the front and restore your traction :) or, if you wanna be a real pro, keep the accelerator on, and left-foot break, being an FF car, this makes the rear wheels break more than the front wheels, and rear break bias = oversteer = opposite of understeer = you around the corner. :)

Remember, Driving is fun!

Just try different stuff... (haha, just in a 'safe environment' ...mmkay?)

-Akira

*waits for us to get trolled for owning 1.2 and 1.4 litre cars, that dont have rear discs and therefore we cant possibly do left-foot breaking* (sarcasm in italics)

Yes... I know my car isnt as good as yours :) you dont have to tell me to make yourself feel better ;)

-Akira

AHD

Ford Focus ST
glad your safe, take it easy from now on,

i bet you were well shacken up, had that feeling before when i lost it going round a corner to fast when there was black ice on the road,

BG 182 FF
AHD said:
glad your safe, take it easy from now on,

i bet you were well shacken up, had that feeling before when i lost it going round a corner to fast when there was black ice on the road,

cheers! yer i was shuk up just after id done it, not to bad today. out in full force b4 but its icey again so took corners with caution lol