ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just Typical - why does it always happen.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Had the back clio on the road for a little over 5 months, and its been pretty well behaved, a couple of Autosolos, some spirited road driving and all ive needed is so I thought - all is well, time to book that trackday.
So I booked the 15th Nov at Brands hatch.

2 days later, check the brakes - pads on last legs perfect time to do them.
A few days after that the windscreen wipers get suspicously slow, day after that when half way to london on a wet day, they stop completely! Luckily the rain had stopped but had to just deal with the spray.
On the way back down form london on the same day, i hear click, rattle, chunk, bonk, bonk... and suddenly theres a rasping sound from the exhaust.
Pop in to mates garage and low and behold, one of the downpipe bolts is missing!
Whilst its up there, the Vredestien tyres that have 4mm on 90% of the tread, have a 1/2 inch bald patch on the inner edges. Now these were gonna be replaced, but I hoped to use them as spares or rears in the future.

I guess I should be glad its all happening 3 weeks before the trackday, but at this rate I dont know what else is going to go, and how much im gonna have to spend over that already expected and allowed for (ie brakes and tyres.).

PS anyone else going to Brands on the 15th?

172 Cup
What pads do you need mate? I have a unused set for the rear i could sell on to you as they were not needed when i replaced my disks the other month.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Been prepping well for this - new wet road tyres (rainsports), set of sticky dry tyres (ZZRs), new brakes done, planned on doing an oil and filter change this weekend.
STOP THE PRESS -
Just to throw a spanner in the works - its starts overheating due to loss of water yesterday - it appears to be a leaky waterpump, which is much better than a headgasket, but still means this weekend is going to be a manic one rather than the relaxing one I hoped for!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
a water pump isn't so scarry to do, if you've conquered the other tasks on your own then you will have no problem with the pump change

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I was very pleased to find it was driven from the Aux belt not the drive belt - as I wasnt looking forward locking off the engine etc. Just a pain its so tight in the engine bay in that area!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Are they the Maxxis tyres the zzr's ?

Avons
1618zzr001.jpg

Maxxis is zr9 IIRC

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
They are used, I paid £55 for a pair, 4mm tread. No idea how good they are but gotta be better than standard road tyres. And at that price no dearer than part worn standards.