ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keeping no claims discount?

182 Cup
Currently the wife and I only have one car as I sold mine a few months ago. At the moment we're doing just fine sharing one car, but this may not last forever.

The wife's car is insured in her name with me as a named driver, but is due for renewal next month. I had 7 years no claims discount when I sold my car, but now have no policy in my name.

So questions are - How long will my no claims discount last without holding a policy in my name? And is there any way I can insure our single shared car where we both keep building on our no claim discounts?

Many thanks for any answers.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Most companies will allow a 2 year break between insurances to keep your no claims bonus. AFAIK you cant insure the same car on 2 policies.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Couldn't you just insure in you're name when it renews?

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Yes, but wouldn't that mean other other half then has the same issue? Or do you mean just alternate between us each year? That could work...

We did this a couple of years ago as I have a company car but didn't want to lose my NCB - Elephant allow you to insure a car so long as the registered keeper was your spouse or partner. So I did that and gained another years NCB without losing what I'd previously built up.

Need to check whether they still offer such a policy again as I think that I'm approaching the 2 year point again where I haven't insured a car and I still want to maintain the NCB.

Ford Mustang 5.0
NCB last for up to two years but a lot of our customers in a similar situation to you switch each year to keep the NCB within the last year. So depending on who is the main user it might be worth switching into your name this then go back to your wifes next year.

If you wanted me to take a look at a quote for you under our Cliosport Members discount scheme (discount can still be applied even if its not a Clio) id be happy to run a quote. Drop me a PM with your contact number and desired time then i could call you personally to run a quick quote?

Best regards
Neil
Greenlight Insurance