ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keyfob not locking or unlocking car

Hi Folks,

I bought my 172 Cup with only one key, which works perfectly. It locks and unlocks the car remotely (using the button on the fob). It starts the car etc.

I wanted to get an additional key as a spare in case I lost the one I already have.

So, I had a local auto locksmith round today to sort me out with an additional key. It didnt go to plan.

The guy spent over an hour trying to get it to work as expected but he couldnt manage it.

The new key starts the car and works as expected in the physical locks on the doors but the key fob does nothing. The red light on the keyfob does light up when I press the button on the keyfob.

I have searched on the forum and found about 50 versions of the same process for syncing keyfobs with cars. I’ve tried a few of them but nothing seems to work.

The one consistent thing all the guides say is that you need to hold the central locking button on the dash until the doors lock then unlock. This is where my car fails as the doors lock but never unlock and I’ve held the button for up to a minute.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on what I can do to resolve this or should I be looking for another locksmith ?

Cheers.

Clio 182
I would think that I the original key works, then no reason why they shouldn’t be able to copy it and supply another fully working key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Same with mine this is.
I had two keys when I bought my Ph1 - one that started the car and only worked in the door locks and when pressing the button the little light would show on the fob. The other would remotely unlock the doors but not start the car. Locksmith managed to get one key to remotely unlock and start (it was missing the transponder chip in - copied it from the other key) but couldn't work out why the other key would not unlock the doors remotely. He couldn't determine what signal it was sending to see if it was the same as the other key.
He also warned that if I locked it remotely and lost that key then I will be having great fun trying to start it as the immobiliser will be left on as it was linked to the remote.

When the battery died on it recently I had to resync the fully working key, that was fine so I knew the system worked. Got my other key and did the same process and not a thing.

I am semi tempted to take it to Renault in the future but knowing full well that will cost a fortune for the sake of a key. Locksmith did mention the use of a secondary immobiliser kind of thing, called it Plip I think?

Same with mine this is.
I had two keys when I bought my Ph1 - one that started the car and only worked in the door locks and when pressing the button the little light would show on the fob. The other would remotely unlock the doors but not start the car. Locksmith managed to get one key to remotely unlock and start (it was missing the transponder chip in - copied it from the other key) but couldn't work out why the other key would not unlock the doors remotely. He couldn't determine what signal it was sending to see if it was the same as the other key.
He also warned that if I locked it remotely and lost that key then I will be having great fun trying to start it as the immobiliser will be left on as it was linked to the remote.

When the battery died on it recently I had to resync the fully working key, that was fine so I knew the system worked. Got my other key and did the same process and not a thing.

I am semi tempted to take it to Renault in the future but knowing full well that will cost a fortune for the sake of a key. Locksmith did mention the use of a secondary immobiliser kind of thing, called it Plip I think?
To simulate me losing the original key, I locked the car using the original key.

I then unlocked the car by putting the key that doesn’t work in the door lock, opened the door and a loud buzzing noise started.

I got in the car, put the key that doesn’t work into the ignition and started the car fine. The buzzing noise stopped as soon as I turned the key in the ignition.

I am actually tempted to go to Renault also.

Cheers.