ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kindle

anyone else ordered one of the new ones ? the wifes arrived yesterday i must say its a great bit of kit screen is amazing my only issue with it is it feels too light and brittle

one big plus point is its alot smaller than the 0000's of books it can hold

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
better than an ipad? saw them advertised, didn't think anyone would be buying them tbh

its not ment to be anything up against an ipad though ! its just for reading books thats it oh and it can play mp3's if you want it too while reading

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Got one last Christmas and it was great. I used it mainly for reading the newspaper which was delivered to it each morning.

It was very useful when i was stuck in Paris during the ash cloud carry on for downloading books over the mobile network.

I always wished it had a simple basic web browser though.

Ive now changed to an Ipad.

I much prefer reading a book. I don't know why but it doesn't feel as 'relaxing' if you're reading it on a screen.

A red missile
They must have got stocks back in recently, the wife's arrived yesterday as well, pretty impressed with it, set it up to use wifi here, go onto Amazon and order a book (lots and lots of free ones to be had from Amazon) and in seconds it's downloaded.

Being a tight get I downloaded kindle for pc for free and grabbed shed loads of free books, will probably buy one next year, would be perfect for the flight to NZ.

They must have got stocks back in recently, the wife's arrived yesterday as well, pretty impressed with it, set it up to use wifi here, go onto Amazon and order a book (lots and lots of free ones to be had from Amazon) and in seconds it's downloaded.

Being a tight get I downloaded kindle for pc for free and grabbed shed loads of free books, will probably buy one next year, would be perfect for the flight to NZ.

yeah its the first stock in the country as its the new version rather than the last one

Bus w**ker
My boss got one at the start of the week. I have to admit I was sceptical, mostly the same argument as Dan - it's not a book, but seeing his has won me over. Fantastic bit of kit, especially for the price, and the "e ink" is a thing of beauty.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
it does have a web browser now but its basic very basic

The old version i had wouldnt let you use the web browser outside the US though as it only worked on the mobile network.

I loved how the newspaper was downloaded onto the thing ready for you to read when you woke up which annoys my titties that i have to tell it to download the Times on the ipad and then wait for it. How hard would it be to have an autodownload feature on the app the muppets.

SLK 350
i just thought because the ipad does all of that stuff and more...fair enough

Missing the point.

Kindle's battery can last a good month or so with it's print tech, and it's a lot more natural to read from as it's not insanely back lit. Plus it's £99/£150 as opposed to £500+.

I thought about getting one, but I just don't read enough books to justify it, more of a magazine kinda guy!

A red missile
How well do these work in sunlight? Mrs likes to read in the garden/on the beach on holiday etc...

Absolutely perfect mate, thats the whole point of e-ink, it's a non radiant/non reflective screen that looks very matt, I've tried using it when the sun's shining, sat it alongside a laptop with a glossy screen and was still easily readable when the laptop was as good as useless.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mums just ordered one of these but got a question.

Is the experimental browser completely free, for all websites? Wont get any data charges added to her amazon account?

its free for all websites yes

as for if its readable in direct sunlight
this was midday in 30deg heat with sun beating down on it
5035424003_449d74384d_b.png

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It came today.

Very impressed for the price, might even get me into reading! Been playing with to for the last hour or so since I got home. I can see this becoming mine and my mother needing to buy herself another :rasp:

Postman just left it on the step though!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I had no idea about the whole e-ink thing, very impressive. I might buy one for the mrs and if she doesn't like it, I'll yoink it.

A question which I'm not sure if will be removed: Are books available via torrents etc?

yes much in fact its better as the screen doesnt reflect light like white paper. i found it much easier to read than i ever thought possible as i cant read off screen very well at all and tbh i suck reading books too lol

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
yes much in fact its better as the screen doesnt reflect light like white paper. i found it much easier to read than i ever thought possible as i cant read off screen very well at all and tbh i suck reading books too lol

Totally agree with this, I actually find it easier to read than a book, particularly in bed since the pages aren't always trying to fold back over :eek:

As for obtaining books, they all come from the amazon book store. And there are some pretty good free ones available too.

I'm sure it'll get cracked eventually, but for what a book costs is it worth it? Unless its a new release almost any decent book is sub £4 at most.

Think I'll look into one of these for Mummy Revels for SantaDay.

Are they only on Amazon or can I go to PC World or something to have a look at?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Think I'll look into one of these for Mummy Revels for SantaDay.

Are they only on Amazon or can I go to PC World or something to have a look at?

Online only afaik, in America I think you can try them out in bestbuy but still have to order them from amazon.

I bought one in the end and I have to say it's a fantastic bit of kit. Opened the box to charge it up before I wrapped it (Didn't realise the outer Amazon box was it's 'retail packaging' though) and I thought that it was a sticker on the front. The screen is seriously sharp and there is little to zero glare.

Wasn't sure my Mum would use it but she's barely put it down and even re-bought a book on her Kindle because she didn't want to keep reading the old fashioned book! Lol.

Both my sisters and Granddad who had a go with it over Christmas all want them now. For £109 I think it's great value. Can't fault it :approve:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I hate Amazon but this is a decent piece of kit, my grandad and step mum both have one and love it.

Ibiza FR
My cousin got one for Christmas, I was shocked at the display, I thought it was a sticker at first! If I read books I would be getting one, but I will still be getting a new iPad when they come out :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I bought one in the end and I have to say it's a fantastic bit of kit. Opened the box to charge it up before I wrapped it (Didn't realise the outer Amazon box was it's 'retail packaging' though) and I thought that it was a sticker on the front. The screen is seriously sharp and there is little to zero glare.

Wasn't sure my Mum would use it but she's barely put it down and even re-bought a book on her Kindle because she didn't want to keep reading the old fashioned book! Lol.

Both my sisters and Granddad who had a go with it over Christmas all want them now. For £109 I think it's great value. Can't fault it :approve:

Pikey model ;)

Glad you like it though, i'm still loving it :approve: