ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking noise when changing gears.

Clio Sport 182
Hey Chaps,

My 182 has recently developed a knocking noise when changing gears from first and second or when I take my foot off the accelerator. When you sit in the drivers seat, you can hear / feel the knock is coming from the left hand side of the car. The gear changes aren't as smooth as they used to be as well as the car juddering or "kangarooing" when moving in traffic or downshifting.

I guessed it was one of the mounts so decided to check out the dogbone mount and top engine mount. Both seemed solid and didn't budge. Before, I remove the battery and check the upper gearbox mount, would there be any other suspect?

Additionally, could someone let me know how to replace the upper gearbox mount if it is that.

Mercury Clio 182
I have the same knocking noise and just replaced all mount, apart from the dogbone because it didn't arrive in time. The noise is still there albeit fat less. The upper gearbox mount is quite easy to do.

Remove battery and you will see it. Undo the 3 bolts, but the 2 outer bolts have a nut on the underside which can fall out and it's difficult to get them back in, so I would suggest you get someone to hold them in place whilst you swap over the mount and then put the bolts back in. Then put the battery back in. You can take the airbox put for better access like I did.

BG Clio 182
@bash247 that's the dogbone mount. Could be the upper engine mount but I'm confident it's dogbone.

You want an evol one or some purple powerflex bushes in your old one.

Clio Sport 182
Thanks guys. I've ordered a replacement dogbone mount that should arrive today or tomorrow. I plan to replace that first to see if it sorts it out.

Im looking to powerflex my old one when I get the chance to do so. I'll let you guys know how I get on.

BG Clio 182
Thanks guys. I've ordered a replacement dogbone mount that should arrive today or tomorrow. I plan to replace that first to see if it sorts it out.

Im looking to powerflex my old one when I get the chance to do so. I'll let you guys know how I get on.
You didn't need to buy another dogbone mate just the bushes that knacker. Should've just got the powerflex bushes

Clio Sport 182
You didn't need to buy another dogbone mate just the bushes that knacker. Should've just got the powerflex bushes
I know mate but money is a bit tight at the moment so the dogbone was a cheaper option. Only cost £15 from a friend. Will keep me going until i can powerflex the old one

Clio Sport 182
So just a quick heads up. I removed the dogbone mount that was on the car and it appears to have a powerflex bush already installed. I replaced it any way just to be sure it wasn't the dogbone mount but the knocking noise is still there.

There is a slight gap in the bush but I don't see that would be the problem. I've attached some images.
20160507_112547.jpg 20160507_112552.jpg 20160507_112556.jpg

Clio Sport 182
Can't loosen up the bloody bolts Haha. Currently trying to source a bar / breaker bar or something.

Clio Sport 182
So an amusing update for you guys. Got to the bottom of what the knocking noise was and it wasn't the mounts or the bolts being loose. It was the bloody fatty induction kit tapping the body :D