ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking when accelerating and braking in first, clunks.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
When driving around, just normally it creaks/ clonks, also if i grab the engine and shake it it wobbles far to easy IMO. I think it's the upper engine mount thats had it, would i be able to change this myself, easy enough?

Yeah, just need to support the engine and then take the bugger out. Isn't there a guide on here for doing it?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, it's a doddle.

Support engine from underneath.
Undo all bolts.
Jack up engine.
Remove mount.
Reverse procedure.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Is it likely to be that mount?

Nothing has ever been changed since new 5.5 years ago and 38k.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
brake service and maybe check of suspension bushes/anti-rollbar links?
just a thought?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm guessing this is something i'm going have have to take it to Birchdown for as i have no idea how to check ARBs etc. Had brake fluid change at last service.

It wont be brakes.

Lift your bonnet, grab the rear of the engine and roll it forward. If it moves around too much, then it will be your upper mount.

My money is on the lower gearbox one though, it's the usual one to need changing first.

Clio 172mk2
mine was nocking under acceleration , powerflex dog bone its all gone n fixed, just cabins a little more noisy on tick over when cold

421 Cammed 172
Sounds like the same symptoms as mine mate and that was top engine mount. Got it changed and it doesn't do it now.

PS, Mine was snapped in half!