ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

L.P.G. conversion

172 Exclusive 007
Has anybody had an L.P.G. conversion? Especially on a phase 1 172.

I'm considering it, and need to know of any 172 related pitfalls, who are the good converters, mpg achieved, etc.

Thanks guys.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
What's the point?

You can get 35mpg from a 172 relatively easily, mine sits at 33 but I have AC on all the time and drive in a lot of stop start traffic. Can't see LPG saving me much money once you've factored in the cost of the conversion.

535d / t5 caravelle
do it you will almost double your mpg, we have a honda crv 2.0 vtec, which was horrendous on fuel, we where going to sell it, 21mpg we where getting, had it converted for £1200 best thing we ever did, £28-30 gets us 200 miles now, more than happy with it, had it done almost 12 montha ago now, no problems with it, and no loss in performance either.

535d / t5 caravelle
someone on here has an lpg 172 i think, i'd get mine done, cost f**k all to run then!

Fabia VRS & Yeti
someone on here has an lpg 172 i think, i'd get mine done, cost f**k all to run then!

I saw a silver 172 near me in Hertford with an lpg filler cap and was going to post but I knew someone would ask for pics!

535d / t5 caravelle
got it done, from a place in chorley, it is a romano system, cant help you any more than that, does that answer your question? i know its the right kit for the car and not some cheap s**t, from a reputable place, hope this helps

S4 Avant
What's the point?

You can get 35mpg from a 172 relatively easily, mine sits at 33 but I have AC on all the time and drive in a lot of stop start traffic. Can't see LPG saving me much money once you've factored in the cost of the conversion.

Half price fuel? Seems a pretty good point?

I started off in a 1.3 LPG fiesta. Cost £20 to drive 300 miles. Nothing could touch it in terms of economy.

clio 172 cup
lpg was something i was considering but id only do it if i was planning to keep the clio long term but as i get 5 years no claims next looking at scoobys focus st's ect plus dont know if this is a wifes tale but heard somewhere that once mapped to run on lpg you can actually get more powahhh as i said dont quote me on this though

535d / t5 caravelle
Thanks Bill

just ring a few places up, they will tell you what kit you need to fit, quotes vary a fair bit, so ring around, in fact, i am going to see the guy who installed the kit on our honda this month i will ask about a conversion on the 172

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Our Lupo GTi is LPG converted, we do lots of miles in it but no way is it paying for itself in a year!

172 Phase II
I know of a dutch 172 who has had a lpg (lpi) conversion done. It's a vialle system which is custom mapped for the rs. (Had it on the dyno at the gas guy I think) Does 440 km on 42 liter.

S4 Avant
lpg was something i was considering but id only do it if i was planning to keep the clio long term but as i get 5 years no claims next looking at scoobys focus st's ect plus dont know if this is a wifes tale but heard somewhere that once mapped to run on lpg you can actually get more powahhh as i said dont quote me on this though

You'll never get the same power from LPG as you will with petrol. It has a lower calorific value than petrol.

The loss is normally about 10% but you'll be doing well to notice.

clio 172 cup
obviously it is a wifes tale haha but 10% is a worthwhile sacrifice for improved mpg and lower fuel price

535d / t5 caravelle
if you want/need the full power of petrol simply press a button and away you go, you can run it on petrol. just like that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Make sure it's setup well, LPG can destroy exhaust valves and they are already a weak point on the 172.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You'll never get the same power from LPG as you will with petrol. It has a lower calorific value than petrol.

The loss is normally about 10% but you'll be doing well to notice.

Lower calorific value just means you need more of it for the same power, and its got epic octane rating.
Certain applications, especially high boost high comp cars which are severely knock limited it will actually make more power.
needs a map that advances the timing really on most cars, but rarely gets one!