ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

laugh out loud

Is it just me going mad or does anyone else have such a good drive in their Clio that they end up laughing to themselves sometimes? I've had quite a few quick and good handling cars but only very few including my Clio Sports have been fun enough to make me laugh out loud :-D I'm really enjoying my 182 - the acceleration, handling, steering feel, induction and exhaust noise are addictive!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yup. Most of the time I potter about but when in the mood it reminds me I should keep the car. That and when I detail it :)

They really are amazing cars for the money aren't they. I paid under £2k for my 182 and can't believe the driving experience you get for the money. The fact it can hold 5 people and happily (unlike the driver) do the shopping run, makes this an all time great car in my book!

I'd love to try a turbo one, I bet they're animals. Mind you, I love the 5k kick in mine anyway. Both my 182 and my previous 172's have had noticeable 5k kicks but it's good fun

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I actually prefer without, drives better too. I know what you mean though, French vtech yo

I'd be interested to see what it's like without and I presume you get a smooth power curve with a remap but the French VTEC has got me hooked, haha!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Vtech (I'm childish) is pretty cool, feels like your going way faster than you are. I prefer driving without the kick tbh. Yeah a smooth run as apposed stop and go so to speak

I like waiting for it to kick in because it pulls really well to the red line after that:) haha, yeah the vtech version might be a bit more tame - maybe some kids songs would start playing at 5000 revs instead.

Only a few hours ago did I have the same thing happen when some guys were asking what size engine my Clio had after I kept up with their new Merc for a lot longer than they expected!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
On the flip side, there was a woman (pain in the ass) looking at the car on Monday in work. Will try to forget that though lol

On the flip side, there was a woman (pain in the ass) looking at the car on Monday in work. Will try to forget that though lol

Surely a good thing if a woman is checking out your car? Mine isn't a fan of my 182, she calls it a noisey go kart . But then again her taste in cars is the total opposite of mine.

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
Me and @MartinL1993 had a cracking chuckle at Blyton.

First when I cooked the tyres and then when he tried to kill me

Don't make me feel bad about that again!! haha
i find all Renaultsports cars i've driven have the ability to do this. Have to say Scott's clio did a very very good job of making me laugh insanely to myself around blyton. The overrun on my megane still has me giggling like a kid

On the road the CS is one of the worst cars I've ever driven as it's noisy, harsh, heavy steering, heavy clutch etc...

On track it just all comes together and makes perfect sense and is one of the best I've driven....

I'm yet to take mine on a track - I'm worried about breaking something as it's my daily driver :-S I bet it feels like it's in its natural environment there though

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
On the road the CS is one of the worst cars I've ever driven as it's noisy, harsh, heavy steering, heavy clutch etc...

On track it just all comes together and makes perfect sense and is one of the best I've driven....

That's funny, because I think that's what makes it possible to enjoy on the road :) Much less insulating that most other cars, it's raw and involving. That said, I wouldn't fancy running one as a daily driver, so from that point of view I guess it is pretty crap as a road car.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is a daily, well 12 mile round trip. I just get bored of getting into the same car lol. Saying that I've had this since December so it must be doing something right.

I agree with others that the clutch, steering etc are heavy compared to other cars, so it's less appealing as a daily driver for some. However, personally I am used to the weighty controls and find it fine in day to day use. I do find it amusing every time I drive or travel in a newer, better built car though as it makes me realise how noisy and heavy everything is on my car. Would I switch to a newer, smoother car though..Nope!

I agree with others that the clutch, steering etc are heavy compared to other cars, so it's less appealing as a daily driver for some. However, personally I am used to the weighty controls and find it fine in day to day use. I do find it amusing every time I drive or travel in a newer, better built car though as it makes me realise how noisy and heavy everything is on my car. Would I switch to a newer, smoother car though..Nope!
Yeah that's my issue driving the big old squishy Mondeo daily and getting into the 182 just feels horrid, I've fitted a drivers Ghia X seat to the ST which is so comfy as well, which doesn't help the transition. Saying that getting in the BM from the Mondy also feels weird, not horrid but just strange as you sit so much higher and the seats are rock hard in comparison. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy getting in the 182 for a quick blast up the duel carriage-way with a few roundabouts thrown in but as a daily no chance on earth, I took it to work once through all the back roads....never, ever again!

Yeah that's my issue driving the big old squishy Mondeo daily and getting into the 182 just feels horrid, I've fitted a drivers Ghia X seat to the ST which is so comfy as well, which doesn't help the transition. Saying that getting in the BM from the Mondy also feels weird, not horrid but just strange as you sit so much higher and the seats are rock hard in comparison. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy getting in the 182 for a quick blast up the duel carriage-way with a few roundabouts thrown in but as a daily no chance on earth, I took it to work once through all the back roads....never, ever again!

Haha, that made me smile. I actually have to drive on twisty bumpy roads every day on my way to work. It definitely wakes you up in the Clio. Amazingly, my 182 now feels civilised compared to my last 172 cup which you couldn't push too hard in the wet or it lost traction everywhere (with no ABS either:-0
Sometimes I look at comfy 'luxo barges' and think how nice it would be to have one as a daily, but if I did get one, I would keep the Clio anyway as I couldn't be without the adrenaline rush and character it provides.

Haha, that made me smile. I actually have to drive on twisty bumpy roads every day on my way to work. It definitely wakes you up in the Clio. Amazingly, my 182 now feels civilised compared to my last 172 cup which you couldn't push too hard in the wet or it lost traction everywhere (with no ABS either:-0
Sometimes I look at comfy 'luxo barges' and think how nice it would be to have one as a daily, but if I did get one, I would keep the Clio anyway as I couldn't be without the adrenaline rush and character it provides.
Best way mate having 2 cars, I sold my 6MPS daily and with the money bought the Mondeo & Clio and it works out cheaper per month to run both than the Mazda (£500 tax & 20MPG over 12k miles a year)

Best way mate having 2 cars, I sold my 6MPS daily and with the money bought the Mondeo & Clio and it works out cheaper per month to run both than the Mazda (£500 tax & 20MPG over 12k miles a year)
That makes a lot of sense. It probably makes you appreciate the fun car even more when you get to drive it. At the moment I can only afford one car, so my Clio does both duties. Luckily I don't sit in much traffic or do much town driving though so I quite enjoy the b road blast every day! Not ruling out getting a comfy daily car in the future and keeping the Clio just for fun though:smile:

I do 40 mile round trip in mine each day to work, most of which are done on a B road/country lanes, and I genuinely look forward to the drive home each day (unless it's pissing down the rain)

To must it's stupidly loud and not an ideal daily, but it puts a smile on my face when I'm driving and that's what a car should be all about IMO

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
cant say i regularly laugh out loud but every drive is just great fun.
I did laugh out loud last saturday, a scirocco "R" , trying to climb into my boot along a national speed limit dual carriageway, so at the next traffic lights, i pulled in to the left lane, and he went along side into the right hand lane, the other side of the lights about 200 yards up the road the 2 lanes merged into 1 lane. I was just going to let him go, i acknowledge his car is more powerful and faster than mine, but he had got on my goat a bit so i press the sport button and wait for the lights to go amber. It was completely clear and straight road, totally safe and no speed limits were broken, he booted it, as did i when the amber light came on, the cars were neck and neck and when we reached the point where the 2 lanes merged back into 1, he had to pull back in behind me.....i admit, i did laugh out loud.
He tried to save face by blasting past as soon as the road changed to twin lanes again, all that did was prove what a turd he was imo.
hope this isnt considered a dangerous street racing post, mods please delete if so .
David

clio 182 trophy
Used to laugh out.loud all the time in the trophy. Immense handling and lift off oversteer on demand. f**king loved the thing. Would love to have a go in a proper racing cup car.

renault clio 172
I did this once while driving my dads 1.4 fiesta again that was against a scirocco wasn't an r tho but all I had to do beat him over the 1st 20 m before the road merged. It was a young upstart revving at the light I just floored it as soon as the lights went green it was close but I got there first