ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laws on road legal track car

Track 172 Cup
Never had a problem with mine although they're not wing back like them only issue I could think of would be lack of visibility when moving lanes or pulling out made more awkward with harnesses being fastened tight and not being able to lean forward. Other than the issues no problem legally I can see as like above mine was road legal with cage/seats/harnesses and MOT

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The only issue I could see is if they aren't E marked they aren't legal for road use, FIA standards are excepted as they are regarded as a higher standard than E markings, Although the seat it's based on an FIA approved design they have changed the lining from a flame retardant material to something else so should no longer be FIA spec, This would only be a problem if you were in a serious accident (someones died) and the seat failing or being incorrectly fitted being attributed as a factor in causing the accident.
E markings aren't checked on MOT they would only be checked by VOSA/Police in a serious accident investigation.

Look at a longacre rear view mirror, it's perfect for winged seats.

I'm just tall enough to peer over the winged bits, so I can see blind spots...

83a8f62606697f9a577475d73dedf7b5.jpg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The being fixed to the floor bit should fail an MOT. The drivers seat must move forwards and backwards and lock into position.
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_620.htm
No it shouldn't
The reason for rejection states
"that the drivers seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended"
If no mechanism is present the check of function does not apply.
It was covered in VOSA's Matters of Testing magazine when Eu directive 48/2010 came into force.

Last edited:
I don't have any intention of going to the ring in this car, the suspension isn't set up for that -so it's all good.

Clio 172
I've run rally cars with winged seats firmly fitted to the floor or welded in seat rails for years. No MOT issues, not even questions asked.

One car was log booked for stage rallying and I also used it on Endurance Road Rallies. While the wings undoubtedly can stop your head moving around in an accident, they're a pain at junctions on road rallies, especially at an acute angle. I had to keep asking my navigator whether it was clear, when he should have been concentrating on the navigation. Never again if I'll be using the car frequently on the road.

Those are expensive seats. Seats and harnesses in stage rally cars now have an effective five year life. After that they can't be used for stage rallying but can be used for other forms of motorsport. There are loads of seats and harnesses out there with expired dates but are still very usable. Many will only have been used a few times in five years, but obviously check carefully.