ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking Sunroof

Conor L

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio Mk2
I've owned my Clio for 17 months and like all clios with a sunroof fitted, it leaks. This seems to be a reoccurring problem on my car. Last year I sealed it with bathroom sealant as a quick fix which lasted throughout the winter, however when it started leaking again a few months ago I thought id do a better job by using some double sided glazing tape. obviously I cleaned up all the old sealant and made sure both surfaces were clean. I also checked to make sure the drain tubes are clear. Its been raining today so I thought id go out and check to see if the roof was water tight an surprise surprise its leaking. All the bolts are tight and there isn't a gap around the frame between the frame and the body, the drain tubes are working as they should. this has really got me puzzled and any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Conor

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I used sikaflex 291, you need adheasive in what you use otherwise it just peels off the paint and you get leaks again.

I masked all around my roof, took it out, ran a sizable bead around the frame, tightened it down and then finished the edges and peeled the tape off. Was a permanent repair. I've had silicon fail twice in the past.

Conor L

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio Mk2
I used sikaflex 291, you need adheasive in what you use otherwise it just peels off the paint and you get leaks again.

I masked all around my roof, took it out, ran a sizable bead around the frame, tightened it down and then finished the edges and peeled the tape off. Was a permanent repair. I've had silicon fail twice in the past.
Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look into it in the morning.