ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaky rear shocks

clio 172 cup
Both rear shocks are leaking on my non cup 182 .

Think i'm looking at about £65 for a pair of rear shocks do i need anything else ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Genuine Renault 172/182 rear Cup shocks straight on nothing else needed. Impact driver makes it a lot easier to replace them.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You dont have to do the fronts however it will probably be due a freshen up if they have not been replaced before.

clio 172 cup
but i'm guessing putting cups on the rear and keeping the current stock 182's on the front wouldn't work ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
but i'm guessing putting cups on the rear and keeping the current stock 182's on the front wouldn't work ?

Prob not make a great deal of difference, it would be better with cup front shocks but i cant see it wrecking the handling. My dci has cup shocks on the back and normal up front drives fine.

clio 172 cup
So if i want to put cup shocks on my clio do i need any other bits ? my clio hasn't got the 60mm hubs.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I did this at the weekend. The Genuine Renault cup shocks come with the top mount rubber and nut but not with the bolt for the bottom.

Breaker bar (think 17mm socket) for the bottom, 6mm spanner and 14mm (can't really remember the top spanner size) for the top nut and your away. If you jack the car up and then place the jack under the beam you can nearly raise the beam enough to refit the lower bolt. Inserting said breaker bar through the hole in the ream beam (on the side you are working on) to lift/lower a little helps greatly.

All in all, if you were only doing the shocks it would probably take 45mins including jacking car up and removing wheels. Very straight forward job.

Made a big difference to my car, already had cup shocks however one side was completely gone and would throw the car all over the shop when going over a large undulation in the road.

My advice would be to tackle one job at a time, get the rear end sorted and then focus on the front, its a good time/excuse to replace bushed etc at the same time.
Rob,

clio 172 cup
I'll be sending it into a garage to do , question is do i spend £170 on standard 182 rear shocks/springs or £350 for cup shocks front/rear and eibach springs from kam?

Car's only going to be tracked maybe 3 times this year rest of the time it'll just be daily driver.

I've also got a low mileage puma so could just track that instead ?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I would just pay the £65 for the cup rear shocks and be done. Do the springs if and when you do the front. If you start doing the front now you may as well sort the other bits out at the same time, top mounts, lower arm bushes, arb bushes etc. The back is simple and quick and it sounds like thats where your major issue is right now.

Summary, spend £65 sorting your actual issue out or £500 doing the lot properly (parts, no labor).