ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Learning Soon... What car to buy ?

350Z GT
Hey all... new here!
Its my 17th birthday soon and i will be learning to drive asap!!
I am saving up for a car atm but i dont have a clue what to get although i do know what i want!
Pretty much i am on here asking for advice on what i should buy!!
I wanted somethin sporty, i like the 182 and the 172 - especially the 1 on here refered to as ph-quick and have seen a few on eBay, pistonheads etc for around 3500-4000.
Not sure what insurance would be like on them but probably quite high!
just wondered what people think i should be buying and i really want an idea of what to be saving for over the summer.
I like the cars with the same shape as the ph-quicks or the newer shapes but not the really new shapes...

I have about £3000 at the mo and by my birthday will probs have about £4000-5000, my dad might donate some cash hopefully to cover the insurance!.... he also works at a Renault dealership so i could probably get some money off

Thanks for reading - think ive posted this in the right place and i look forward to seeing your ideas.

Shed.
your best bet is a clio bud. and the model you NEED is the dynamique. to learn in id go for a 1.2 tbh. nippy and fun and just pure quality tbh. !

For god sake drop the idea of getting a cliosport at your age. Ive had them same idea lol, and it aint gunna happen. even if it does your likely to kill yourself. Learn to drive and modify the dynamique whilst your at it to make life more fun !

Chocolate Bar™
172 aint going to happen unless you wanna spend £3k+ on insurance.

1.2 16v / 1.4 16v dynamique is what i would want

350Z GT
wow 3 quality replies in less than 3 mins - looks like a came to the right place!
thanks for the advice.
I saw a 1.4 the other day at the dealer where my dad works, was black and looked like 1 of those ph-quick's and had some nice wheels - looked exactly like a clio sport and was a W reg, would this be a good idea or defo a dynamique also are they easy to get stuff for - not chavvy stuff just the nice mods - alloy wheels etc also take it insurance is ok as its a 1.2/1.4 dynamique ?

sorry for all the q's but i really have no clue although i really want a clio!
Also 1 more thing, my brother has a Megane coupe 1.6, not many miles and tastefully modfiied - would this be a good option to buy as hes been talking about selling it.

Chocolate Bar™
megane would be a good bet.

but the car your talking about sounds like a 1.4 sport which has the dual optic headlights, which would be a nice car. however if you could get a bit more cash and look privately you could easily get a fairly new 1.4 for £4500

Shed.
yeah if you can scrape the 1.4 do it. it wont be good on insurance but itll be worth it. the 1.2 is nippy imo but the 1.4 is so much more fun and better on fuel.

Out of ALL the little hot hatches you can have as a young drive the clio is by far the very best. everything about them are just so perfect lol. (im sure other car owners will say the same)

Ask about, or search for photos of the dynamique, in and out just so you cqan get a good idea of how the car loooks.

With the money you have I'd get something fairly cheap like a 1.2 and spend the rest on insuring it, being 17 you will be dry humped for a robin reliant let alone anything reasonable nippy lol.

insurance in my own name at 17, on a 2004 1.2 16v was £1950, so get the 1.2 16v dynamique, theyre not bad!

my second year with 1yrs NCB is £680 on the same car...

M135i
yep as said, start of small, work your way up. experience counts for everything when driving, you'll either kill yourself or other people in a ren sport clio. have you even considered a 1.5 dci? good economy and quite fun to drive :)

Clio MK2 (1.2)
yeah if you can scrape the 1.4 do it. it wont be good on insurance but itll be worth it. the 1.2 is nippy imo but the 1.4 is so much more fun and better on fuel.

Out of ALL the little hot hatches you can have as a young drive the clio is by far the very best. everything about them are just so perfect lol. (im sure other car owners will say the same)

Ask about, or search for photos of the dynamique, in and out just so you cqan get a good idea of how the car loooks.

:nono: na thats not true, i went from my house to Chester and back on £8 2notches on the fuel gage, now my m8 went from his house up the road from me to Deamon Tweeks and he used half a tank there and back. so 1.2 is better on Fuel :eek:

seat arosa 1.4 tdi
dci 80. u need a dci 80. cheap at evrything and a pretty quick car for a 17 year old. wish id baught 1.

for the 1st yr or so , the one with cheapest insurance tbh , but still practical .

so a 1.2 or therabouts is looking odds on atm .

Mini Cooper S sport
I agree with everyone else. Forget the 172/182 at 17, you'll wrap it round a tree. I expect a lot of companies wouldn't even insure you, or charge you over 3k.

It won't take long before you build up enough no claims to get something with a bigger engine. Just make do with a 1.2 for a year (and I think the phase 2 Mk2's look good, especially with a 172 front grille), then move on.

Good luck with the driving lessons. The first time you actually get behind the wheel and feel the car move is the strangest sensation, but it's great.