ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED Tv Advice

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Currently got a 50" Samsung Plasma thats been on the wall for about 5 years and still working perfectly but really fancy something thats more up to date and as i will not downgrade in size the only way i can go is up.

Been looking at 60" LED TVs but i know naff all about them.

The are listing LED LCD, 1080h or 1080i

All i know is its going to be 55" or 60" and be LED.

Anyone put any input into this ?

Mini JCW
I think you'll need to demo LCD sets in person. The motion blur can be too distracting to some, and IMO it's inferior tech compared to the plasma you're used to.

If you must go LCD then look at W905s as they're one of, if not the top set from 2013.

Otherwise look at the GT series of Panasonic plasmas - much superior imo.

What's the budget anyway?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im more looking for LED if I'm being honest but like you say i don't want the motion blur

I would stick with your plasma and wait for OLED to mature. Now is a bad time to be buying LCD if there is nothing wrong with your current plasma. Especially if you like blacks and screen uniformity. Plasma of course has its own compromises, but since you already own one, you either don't notice or don't care.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hey guys.

Seems like a perfectly suitable thread to latch onto.

I too am looking at TVs. I don't own anything at the moment though so the plasma vs LCD thing is ripe in my mind.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but something good toward the top end of the market to last a good amount of time would be nice.

Before this month I was looking at Plasma and have almost sold myself a Panasonic 50GT60 plasma. Mainly due to the superior response time over the ST60. All the reviews say buy one while you can etc etc etc.

Whilst my Dad has owned a plasma for years and never complained about screen burn (tbh I've never even noticed image retention at all and I've used it for gaming for hours in the past) it's something I have in my mind as a potential "oh s**t" moment. Especially when spending £1200.

Now my girlfriend whom I am moving in with mentioned her brother gets a Sony store discount and can get the above mentioned screen at a discount:

55W905a - £1,082
46W905a - £785

Seems like enough of a saving to warrant that over the plasma. Only negatives I can read about are the smaller viewing angle (not sure this would be an issue myself, but worth a look instore first regardless) and the fact the motion won't be "as" fluid as the GT60.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thinking the w905 is the way to go based on price.

Does anyone think it's worth persuading the misses that it's worth an extra 280 to get the 55" over the 46"?

Our living room isn't massive. Probably be 2-3m viewing distance.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thinking the w905 is the way to go based on price.

Does anyone think it's worth persuading the misses that it's worth an extra 280 to get the 55" over the 46"?

Our living room isn't massive. Probably be 2-3m viewing distance.

If the 55 will fit, get it.

Mini JCW
Whilst my Dad has owned a plasma for years and never complained about screen burn (tbh I've never even noticed image retention at all and I've used it for gaming for hours in the past) it's something I have in my mind as a potential "oh s**t" moment.

Screen burn is VERY rare nowadays, the most that'll occur is image retention.

I have a VT65 and use it for at least 3 / 4 hours a day for gaming and suffer zero IR - all I do is run the scrolling bars for 5 minutes after a heavy session and keep the contrast down.

However, if you must go for LCD bear in mind the viewing angles are pretty bad, you need to sit straight on from the TV to see the correct colours. Also keep an eye out for the common problems inherent with the tech such as clouding / uneven backlighting / DSE.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah I get that. I don't want to spend £1200 on a TV and then have to run scrolling bars on it that's my issue.

I have read conflicting stories about screen burn. Some people saying LOL some people saying they've had screen burn of a moving **** while watching p**n. (Not really but I think both sides read as if they're more opinion based)

I'm not convinced I'll be worried about viewing angles. I currently share my flat mates supermarket LCD and it's alright. Never been hung up about blacks turning grey at an angle although when someone points it out I can notice it. I'd imagine a flagship Sony model would be better in every way. I'll have to get a demo first though. I'm more concerned about these reports of vertical bars visible on light images tbh.

Mini JCW
Demo both panels. With the right source the plasma is superior in just about every conceivable area.
///Munson bought a flagship Samsung LCD (F8500) and promptly returned it for a VT65. If he sees this he might be able to explain better than me.

Image retention does still occur, regardless of what some people may say. Even with the sets that are allegedly immune to it - leave a white square on screen for more than thirty seconds, and it WILL be retentive when the screen goes to black or grey. However, it will be washed away by moving images, almost as quickly as it appears. This is why most people never see it, but it does happen. Cast iron fact.

If you take the white box example to the extreme, things like game HUDs and white text such as "best time" in racing games, will absolutely cause some sticky image retention. Again, many people may never see it before it gets washed away. If you're especially brutal with the set, and leave static images onscreen for several hours, they will become borderline burnt, and will take several days to completely clean away. Again, even at this stage, it may not be noticed, depending on the content being viewed after the event. This is really the only time that you need to use scrolling bars as an aid. Normal mild retention will be washed away before it's even noticed, usually.

Yes I bought a 2013 Samsung LCD. Very very good. Best blacks I've seen from LCD, but terrible viewing angles. Also the backlighting was still cloudy. Not acceptable for me when paying c.£2300. I replaced it with a VT65 plasma, and whilst it's not perfect, it's far better than anything else I've seen. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone very much into home theatre though. Other people have different priorities. I know someone with the aforementioned Samsung, and they're more than happy with it. And rightly so, as in their viewing environment it looks great.

As an aside, in my opinion the whole motion argument is misunderstood. Modern LCDs use use a lot of frame interpolation to mitigate image blurring. Plasmas also have this in order to increase the frame rate of 24hz, but in my experience a properly setup plasma actually looks a bit jerky compared to LCDs. The problem is that frame interpolation causes artefacts and even visible frame skipping. In my experience so far, it's easier to obtain a balance between blur and artefacts with an LCD, than it is to obtain a balance between jerkiness and artefacts with a plasma. Once you get used to the somewhat filmic look of an unmolested plasma panel, it seems way more natural. All IMO only of course. Different people have different ideas about what constitutes good motion handling. Generally, a plasma (with frame creation off) produces a more realistic look.

Sorry for rambling :eek:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I bought a 46" Sony W9 in the end. 19ms input lag sold it to me.

It's at my parents house and should get it plugged in on Saturday!!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Quick update. Got the TV setup and it is gorgeous! Have changed a few settings I saw on HDTV test but haven't had much time in front of it.

I tried the 3D mode on normal TV though and I noticed the glasses flickering. It seemed to bother me at the time but I'm wondering if it's because it was 576i SD broadcast? It's active 3D. Anyone guess whether I just won't be able to get on with it, or whether it will be better with proper 3D source material.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
definately different with proper 3d material mate. SD non 3D broadcast in 3D mode is w**k.

I have 2012s best Sony flagship the 55" HX853 and the 3D is also active and you cant see and flicker what so ever.

Rav4
definately different with proper 3d material mate. SD non 3D broadcast in 3D mode is w**k.

I have 2012s best Sony flagship the 55" HX853 and the 3D is also active and you cant see and flicker what so ever.

How you getting on with the HX853?

Most feedback states that is the best TV they had released.

I am looking for a new TV again, was going to get the F8000, but a lot of quality control issues at the moment apparently.

Considering getting the Sony 905 series. Any thoughts on this model?

The Smart TV is supposed to be shocking, which is a shame, that is the only reason I was really leaning towards to Samsung F8000 really.

Thanks,

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I love the TV but there is some DSE and banding which is terrible when watching football. Can't notice it at all when watching normal content only sports with fast moving solid colours etc.

Personally I'd go with the F8000 which I like the look of.

However someone else said the viewing angle is s**t.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My Sony 905 has some banding on the left and right. Not sure if I can return it on this basis, I need to give them a call.

It's only noticeable to me when the screen is black, but then it's noticeable. Other than that the picture is very good. But you'd expect that for the price anyway.

Mine is the 46 and I've not noticed any serious issues with viewing angles.

Rav4
Thanks for that. I've read that my reducing the contrast to below 50 and turning off the auto light features can virtually remove this, did you try that? I'm really considering getting it. How are you finding the smart TV elements and the remote ?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've not tried that no. I turned the Dynamic LED function to low and changed a few settings as per HDTVtest review. But frankly it looks stunning with HD content on it. I booted up Avatar on bluray and felt like there was a sense of depth to the colour.

Couldn't work out how to get it to play in 3D on the PS3 though.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The free view guide is great. Honestly considering just hooking up a HDD to the TV in lieu of Sky for now. I'm still getting to know it as I only bought it moving into my new place so not had much time to sit down with it.

If you want me to test anything specifically let me know.

Rav4
  Rav4
Thanks for this mate I just sent you a PM.

I'll have a play with the settings later.

No worries, hope they make things a bit better. If they do, please let me know so I can pop down the shops and collect a big TV!

Wish they had a john lewis here in Australia, extra warranty is $300 for 3 years.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Still the best no matter what.

Certainly wouldn't say no matter what. They are very nice but it was just blacks and motion that was making me sway toward plasma. I can safely say I'm very happy with both of those categories on the LCD I ended up with.