ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED units and transformer help

I have 8x LED down lighters, That are ment to be kitchen floor plan lighting units but where never used... They are currently lighting my Vinyl selection so i can see what im selecting easily...

Its hooked up as 4x LEDS to 1x 12V driver...

8x LEDS total 2x drivers.

I was running 2x drivers to one Mains plug and they lasted a few months but now have blown. Was my problem running the 2x drivers off one plug? I was told it would be fine because they would both get the correct current.

Now i need a replacement transformer... Am i looking at a 24v ? because im running 2... Or just a 12V DC? because they will still get there current needed for each?

The instructions say 6 LED units can be run from one 12v transformer... So im guessing its obvious 12v wont power all 8?

Bit of help please, Im just looking for clarification.

Ebay links to cheap but good transformer and advice wanted, Cheers.

Polo + Micra
i'm lost lol

are they high power leds?

white leds only need 3.6v but it's all about the current.

even if they were 5w leds you would only need like a 65VA power supply

8x of these mate:

DSCF1174.gif

I have wired them up (each led unit clips into the next) so there are 2 sets of four and each set of 4 where running off a 12v transformer .. However i would like to get all 8 clipped in together, And run it off one transformer.

Polo + Micra
is it 12v ac or dc?

tbh i'd go for something like this

but remember there is a massive difference between a 12v led driver and a 12v psu

Last edited:
It was a small white box for each driver, And im pretty sure DC.

Would that supply happily power them all then? If a little dim because its only 12v?

And what do you mean by difference between driver and psu? The psu being more reliable?

Because the little drivers.. where s**t tbh.

cheers.

Polo + Micra
drivers have in built current limiting as leds are really don't like being driven with more current than they are designed to

so if the driver is gone you really need to get a new driver designed specifically for your leds.

is there a current rating on the driver ?

I dont know what im looking for so heres a pic, But i guess the 0.085A MAX is what im looking for?

Excuse the holes, I drilled them in an attempt to keep the second set cool.

DSCF1175.gif

Polo + Micra
thats a 24v 10VA psu so if you had two of those you need a 24v 20VA or 1A psu to replace both

Cheers for your help so far really apreciate it.

So to replace both drivers for one... i need a 24v 20va / 1A PSU... And that will allow me to hook all 8 up to that right?

Im not finding many on ebay searching 24v 1a.. Any sites you know of etc?

Cheers.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
if someone needs 12v then do not get a 24v psu.

it may have been the case that the leds were drawing to much current, the psu over heated and blew.

get a decent 12v psu.

what is the full spec of the leds?

Cheers Dink...

Andy im not too sure what the leds are drawing as current. There are 4 SMDs to each square circuit.

Now confused again...? the 24v 1A will work or?

Im not sure if the drivers overheated previously or just wernt good enough.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
well you first said 12v then you posted a pic of a 24v psu? so im not sure either lol

well where did you get the leds from? try find a spec it makes life alot easier

The LEDs are MFI kitchen lights, Supposed to be used for the kitchen install but wernt due to my dads decision.. Each unit is 4 SMDs on a circuit, Each driver takes a max of 6 units.

Im guessing after your telling me, And looking at it each driver is 24v?

Although the insruction says position each 12V driver, But yeah i see what your saying about the 24v driver.. I am confused myself..

Any help?

VaVa
That ebay one above is over twice the power @ 25W. Old one is 10W.

Also, max current of your old one is 0.085A, which is 85mA, so less than a tenth of the current of the one above.

Will be plenty. lol.

VaVa
Shouldn't be. I'm assuming the small boards they are mounted to have current limiting resistors in series, to regulate the current. If not a regulated power supply would be a better bet.

Shouldn't mix and match with stuff like this really, from my days at college, LED's are sensitive little buggers lol

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
That ebay one above is over twice the power @ 25W. Old one is 10W.

Also, max current of your old one is 0.085A, which is 85mA, so less than a tenth of the current of the one above.

Will be plenty. lol.

indeed, but just encase the old psu couldnt handle the current drawn

Just got the PSU up and running, All working excellent, And the PSU is running pretty cool.

Very happy, Cheers for the help fellas.

What it was for ha:

DSCF1188.jpg