ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Light probs

Hi

My car is really playin up. When i brake my sidelights and my breaklights come on, and wen i put my sidelights on my brake lights come on.

Anyone know wat could cause this.

Cheers

my front sidelights come on and my dash lights up and my rear brake lights come on wen i brake, and they all come on wen i turn my sidelights on.

Where bouts would i find the rear earth to check.

Cheers

Polo + Micra

if you look in your boot inside the is a securing bolt for the lights. then when you get the lights off the should be a screw with a black wire coming off it that is the earth for that light cluster.

have a look to see if it looks rusted or anything

Polo + Micra

yeah you said when you brake they all come on. this would indicate either a bad earth at the rear lights or a problem with your brake relay.

emai1paul does it do it only on the brakew lights or does it do it with the others e.g reverse / indicators??

Hi

Cheers dink ur bein a great help. Ill have to try later but i dont think the reverse light comes on and the indicators are fine.

Cheers

Da

Less

remove rear light and disconnect the bulb holder assembly. Check for signs of water/corrosion or rust. Spray liberally with WD-40 and leave to penetrate. Refit the lights to car and test.

cheers guys.

I had a good look at it yesterday and found under the passenger door sill a wirin loom that goes from the front of the car to the rear. And one of the wires had melted all off its plastic casing. I couldnt see it attached to any other wires to cause problems with the brake and side lights but thats hopefully gonna be resolved wen i change the wirin loom.

Does anyone know if i can buy one of these wirin looms from renault or anywhere. Cheers guys.

Paul

Da

Less

just wrap loads of electrical insulation tape round it making sure the bare cable cannot touch anyother bare cables and secure the loom back in place. Unless you want to persue it thru warranty i really wouldnt bother replacing it. This does however sound like the cause of your problem as the damaged cable will have been shorting down to the chassis (earth) whenever you braked etc...

Hope this helps.

Daz

2005 Impreza WRX STI

cut it and put a splice in (extend the wire if need be! dont be gash and just tape it!lol

it wont be a short i dont think this sounds like an earth fault. if its when u brake, it sounds like a poor earth on rear lights and finding earth elsewhere ie fronts, which will make them come on momentarily! double check the rear earths! do a continuity check if u can get hold of a multi meter!

Failing this, check any main earths in the engine bay! will be a main one from engine to chassis and gearbox etc.hope this helps

Da

Less

i wasnt been gash, lol! i was just thinking that for a non-electrical person to attempt a joint in a restricted loom could be quite tricky (would they even know what a splice is?). Therefore i recommended the tape up method. Also as I said this could be persued under warranty if needs be. The earth-rear lights issue has been mentioned in posts above. (Dink)

I replaced the whole loom and it works now. Several wires had melted tgether further down the loom. All fixed.

Cheers guys