ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Linton and your coilovers!!!

I spent all day today calling round 14 different tunning companies and these suspension companies:
Apex
Avo
Bilstein
G&M
G-max
H&R
HKS
Knoi
KW Auto
KYB & DowMax
Personal identity (Pi)
Spax
SRR
Tein
Tokico

And im sorry to report that none have any coilover kits for the clio 172. However, You dont really need one as it would ony fit the front and the rear would stay struts and springs separate.

However, i traced down Mike Fisher Racing and he is developing a coilover kit for the 172 in conjunction with LEDA, who in my opinion, are the best suspension manufacturers around. And it may be ready soon...if your not interested, just buy the ones you saw in japan as it would make thins easier.
Sorry i couldnt find any.

Oh sorry I could have told you that ages ago but I dont read this forum much.

If you REALLY REALLY want coils for the front I can call some people. However they will cost more and they will probably be a one off make.

Oh and as for LEDA. I wouldnt go near them. Stock cars use them because they are cheaper. I had too test their range when I worked at AVO (sneaky marketing) and we burnt the adjustable in under 5 mins.

To be honest Coils are either for Racers or people with more money than the average Joe Blogs. I would just get some good lowering springs and adjustable shocks to make the ride stiff if your springs are say a 50mm+ drop.

If your are buying shocks ALWAYS buy quality. Its really not worth buying cheaper versions. I know how the cost cuts are made to get the shocks at this price and some companies (will remain nameless) use thinner oil, meaning it heats up quicker and ultimately seizes the shock.

Dave

Lionel Richie

bilstein do a coilover kit for a 172, ive seen it on a car. I dont know how to post pics though, anyone???

gimmie the pics or the address and i will put them up.
Ching@iamwasted.com
OutKa5t: Well, you learn something new everyday. I wanted avo coilovers for my clio as they were so well priced, but some people said they were a bit budget, but i think they rock. ANyway, the spring and damper set from avo/chassis dynamics are poor, right?
what about koni, i have them and i think they are pretty good, haven had a chance to test them to their limit yet. And surprising info on LEDA, i always thought that their coilovers wer some of the best?
In your opinion, what brand would you pump for with cash permitting?

friend of mine is running koni coilovers on his 1.4 16v clio2, lowered by 35mm on 15 inch valbrem rims...

i gonna do it for my car too, just as soon as i manage to save up enough in the piggybank...will go for a 40mm drop instead...

kona
www.renaultcarclub.com

BenR, Ive posted pics of the bilstein coilovers on the yahoo cliosport website. The coilovers work on the rear as seperate parts, the shock fitted in the original place with the spring sitting on a adjustable stay which is bolted onto the strut. As I have mentioned so many times I believe Bilstein are the only ones who make coilovers for the 172, Koni make adjustable shocks and lower spring kit and Apex make only lower springs. I too wont go near AVO as they are only made for looks and dont work at all, Bilstein on the other hand make their coilovers for the clio cup cars.
PS I bought the renault sport "extended rear wing" from Jebsen last week and getting it painted and fitted by them tomorrow. They promised me it would be baked because Im paying 1200 bucks instead of the 2 grand they quoted me before (big discount as I was going to go somewhere else!) So now I hope they do a good job !

Ben, LEDA are getting better I will give you that. The problem with most companies now is that they build the shocks to a set standard unless requested otherwise.
Avos standard dampers are not by a longshot the best they do and I will be completley honest and say that AVO shocks are not as good as they were 3 years ago. Not because thats when I worked there but because the team I worked with were the originators that founded Spax (First company to design adjustable dampers).
I havent worked in the business for 3 years so I couldnt give an opinion on the best shocks since I no longer test them. However the long standing brands still produse quality goods, Avo, Bilstien, Koni and Spax.
It all depends on the person that is doing the machining/welding and assembly.
Dave

black clio. Can you justify your comments against AVO? Not too sure where the looks thing has come from. Did you know that every single company that make adjustable shocks took the design from the team that founded AVO 20ish years ago? I would agree that they are not the best anymore and probably come in at about 4th for quality but there has been reasons for that.

but for such a competitiove price, avo have to be a top choice.
Linton: i would just get the bilsteins if you can> all of the coilover would be like that wioth the small diameter spring platforms on the shock body or else they wouldnt be coilovers.
also, i talked to my dad about the new wing, i dunno what i looks like as i just sent them a catalouge with tons of accesories from germany. could you send me a pic when you have it on your car. And my dad knows your in charge of the clio sports club in HK so will make more effort to give good quality, aslong as the reanults return to jebsen for work, he will give better and better quotes. and yes, it will be baked as they have to for the paint to set.
as for the shocks, koni and avo both do coilovers, as do spax etc, just for limited number of cars. most companies now make lowering springs, adjustable shocks and springs set, and coilovers now, its getting to competitive not to...

BMW 320d Sport

Dunno about the others but everyone says Billies are the best, and most people would agree that Koni are quality.

Ive got Koni adjustables and never had any problems, even on the track.

Dave- I remember a mate of mine with AVO springs on his A4 - QUATTRO and he was really unhappy with them and changed to Konis.. So Im not taking any chances! They might have been the "BEST" 20 years ago but not anymore! Even you admitted to this besides they dont make coilovers for the 172, do they?

Ben- thanks, I took the car in today and will hopefully get it by Wednesday. Will get you the pic soon. Do you also want te pics of the Bilsteins?

They were probably the best 4 or 5 years ago never mind 20.
Yes they can make coil overs for the 172 they just dont advertise them.
AVO dont make spings, so I still dont see you point.
Simple rulke on suspension. If you dont know what to ask for you will get the stock builds.