ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Linux networking question (bridging connections)

500bhp Scoob
Hello,
I'm currently pulling my hair out with attempting to set up a bridge over 2 ethernet connections on my server in the loft.

Setup is as follows... Existing network is gigabit on 192.168.0.x which has multiple items on it including a file/sabnzbd server. The server has 2 NIC's, 1 1gigabit, and 1 100mbit. I have an old HTPC that Ive fitted in the bedroom that I want to plug into the 100mbit connection on the server and basically bridge the connection so I can still access my server (which has static IP currently) essentially I want to turn the server into a switch, so that the old HTPC can access the net (not too fussed about it being visible to anything on the main network)

I've wired it all up correctly, with a crossover cable.

The server runs Ubuntu server LTS, I've tried the bridge-utils package, and tutorial on the net but I ended up losing all my networking configuration once the bridge was setup (which didn't work anyways).

Any ideas (apart from buying a gigabit switch for up in the loft to plug this old htpc in to?)

Thanks

500bhp Scoob
I've been pulling my hair out for ages, then it finally clicked... I wasn't setting the bridge interface up on the original static IP i was using...

Now I've still got my file/sabnzbd server with a transparent bridge for the old HTPC plugged in on the spare network connection :)