ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

linux on dell

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Most of my servers i run are dell and run linux. I have put linux on quite a few desktop dell machines and havent had any major issues to date.

RIP Dan
Strange to see this thread, i was thinking of doing the same and was going to post.
I have a dell desktop and i am just going to use it to keep pics/music etc on. I am going to delete windows and load Linux. I dont know anything about Linux and wanty to use this to learn on too.
I assume that i can still use the wireless card its got in it to connect to the net??? We also have deided to get an apple laptop each...can i connect to the Linux box (when i get ot done of course) to transfer files etc??
Any advice appreciated.

going on the hardware that google tells me thats inside one of these you should be fine.

If its one with Intel graphics you should be able to get 3d working no probs but it looks like they have shared memory so Beryl etc may need tweeking to run faster.

The other weakness maybe the built in Intel wifi. You might be lucky and it may recognise it and work straight out of the box, but I think most users have to have a play to get it working 100%

What flavor are you looking to install?? I would recommend ubuntu www.ubuntu.com as they have a brilliant help forum www.ubuntuforums.org.

Also, people seem to be banging on about open SUSE atm. See my other thread.

PowerEdge?
What distro?
Using the PERC cards - SAS?

Poweredge Dual Xeons.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
Yes, PERC in Raid 1

Ah, RHEL.. yea, that's kinda cheating tho :p
I guess if I did it, it'd be CentOS.. but still.. I wouldn't.

HP offer proper Debian support now tho, on some of their Proliants.. so guess which servers I'm advocating? ;)

Just put ubuntu on an inspiron 2650 (quite old) and everything worked straight away. Only thing was this laptop has a high res panel so I had to up the resolution manually in the config.

Only problem I've got now is getting the b*****d wireless working as it doesn't have one built in, and the PCMCIA card im using doesn't have linux drivers.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Poweredge Dual Xeons.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
Yes, PERC in Raid 1

HP offer proper Debian support now tho, on some of their Proliants.. so guess which servers I'm advocating? ;)

Not cheating at all :p My company wanted commercial support for the linux servers. Dell will ship the server with a copy of RHEL4 and provide tech support for it if needed, no harm in supporting a company that will ship computers with linux.

I also have a windows 2003 Dell server box (poweredge dual xeons aswell) :eek: :eek: But lets not talk about that.. :quiet:

Not cheating at all :p My company wanted commercial support for the linux servers. Dell will ship the server with a copy of RHEL4 and provide tech support for it if needed, no harm in supporting a company that will ship computers with linux.

I also have a windows 2003 Dell server box (poweredge dual xeons aswell) :eek: :eek: But lets not talk about that.. :quiet:

Yea, RHEL has that advantage. I'm hoping the Debian *proper* support on HP Proliant's spreads to proper support too.. and not just packages for monitoring agents etc.. altho, I'm sure they support their packages already!

We shall see.. tech support is generally overrated - if it's not on Google, it don't exist! ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I did have a whole big reply typed up but this forum decided to show me it had posted it.. but actually hadnt ? doesnt the forum do any checks to make sure this doesnt happen ! Grr !

anyway.. long story short..

The corporates wanted the backup, ive used it once as I was having RAID issues.. went through the whole polava of giving the the system numbers so they knew the exact specs.. spent 10 minutes explaining the problem and he replied "First, click the start button"

FFS !!! ideeeot ! Spent another 10 minutes waiting for them to find their 'linux guy' :rolleyes:

As it turned out, by the time he called back I had fixed it myself.. bah !

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I bet you feel dirty and violated after using that. Do they provide you with showers for decontamination? ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I bet you feel dirty and violated after using that. Do they provide you with showers for decontamination? ;)

Yes, Ive had one of them shower units fitted above my chair..like JC on Topgear.. its on full everytime I touch the server ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yes, Ive had one of them shower units fitted above my chair..like JC on Topgear.. its on full everytime I touch the server ;)