ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Live View important?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'll be wanting to do motorsport photography with it so is Live View much prefered for this?? Better for composition?

I was thinking D60 but it does not have Live View like the Canon 1000D.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
no live view is mainly for close up work and i think (but not 100%) that it is only available with manual focus (like the canon HD movie function). You are much better to use the normal view finder as then you are holding the camera in a position that is tucked into your body rather than at arms length so there is less chance of camera shake, especially when using telephoto lenses as any shake becomes magnified

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've never found that I needed a Live View. Perfectly happy with the viewfinder.

Cool, good to know.

no live view is mainly for close up work and i think (but not 100%) that it is only available with manual focus (like the canon HD movie function). You are much better to use the normal view finder as then you are holding the camera in a position that is tucked into your body rather than at arms length so there is less chance of camera shake, especially when using telephoto lenses as any shake becomes magnified

Sort of like using your head as an extra balancer in keeping the camera still?

If it only works in manual focus then it'll be completely useless for me with a tele lens. And without a tele lens, I'd rather use the view finder.

Cupra
i have only ever used it when working with a tripod. I much prefer looking through the viewfinder. Its funny when you hand your camera over to somebody to take a shot and they hold it out at arms length looking at the screen expectantly. "i thought this was a good camera? " lol

Ian

Focus TDCi
Comes in useful on still life-type manual focus shots where you're really bothered about focus, I use it occasionally.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i use it ocasionally too, it has auto focus, just need to press a different button to focus it rather than the shutter button.

I've had surprisingly good results from it too, very sharp pictures from it, this is on a 50d.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've never found that I needed a Live View. Perfectly happy with the viewfinder.
which loosly enterpreted means you don't have liveview on your camera lol.

I find i don't need an F1 style diffuser on my car..... ;)

Wouldn't use it for tracking cars personally but shooting Manual is much easier using live view, exposure simulation and histogram to get everything right.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Wouldn't use it for tracking cars personally but shooting Manual is much easier using live view, exposure simulation and histogram to get everything right.
oh agreed, yeah, i would never use it for sport of any kind unless it was snail racing......

Live View (generally) uses contrast detection to focus, and therefore wouldn't be anywhere near fast enough for motorsport. Great for macro and still life work though, something I could happily live without but it's nice to have.

A4 Avant
The only time I found it useful is when shooting from a wierd angle such as very low down or high up when it's not practical to have the camera to your face.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Thanks guys. The camera is for my Dad and I, he said he prefers using the viewfinder and he's used to it from his old SLR and since my main importance is getting good photos at Silverstone, it sounds like I should be using the viewfinder too.

I did see on the 1000d that you can zoom into the picture on the LCD to adjust the focus better but from your guys opinions it doesn't seem so necessary. My dad wont want to be taking photos from odd angles or low down. I might but I'm prepared to lie on the floor if I really those shots lol

Think D60 with VR lens it is.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I can't decide between the D60 and 450D. Did you ever think about the 450D?

Thought about it but its a step up, camera wise and price wise. I've only recently 100% decided on a DSLR as my Dad and I are going halves. I want to learn to take good photos before spending bigger money and my dad wants one as a bit of fun after his film SLR of a while back. So the D60 seemed a better choice.

Did consider the D40 but the D60 with extra pixels and VR lens seemed decent for only £100 more. And if I got a decent image, I would want to blow it up big so the extra MP would be useful lol