ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Long runs of Cat5?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
How long can i realistically go?

I'm wanting to go 60m/200ft, is it too long?

I read 300ft is ok without a repeater but 200ft seems so long to me. The most I have run before isnt even 100ft.

This is for a friend, who wants to run a cable to his new summer house in the garden.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
No problems - we had to rate it for warranty purposes upto only 90m but I once ran a line over 140m with no issues.

182, SQ7, Trafic
100m, you need a net switch or repeater after that, or run fibre optic ;)

I ran in a 500m length Friday afternoon for a summer house in someone's garden!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It's just from switch to laptop for Internet/home network

Will it be alright buried in some regular boggo 20mm conduit?

Might put a wireless router in the summer house so he can use his laptop/phone in the garden too but undecided yet.

182, SQ7, Trafic
Yea that'll be fine conduit wise, or buy some direct burial, you might also be better off with external grade

2.2 bar shed.
I'd go for black cat 5 as well rather than the standard stuff, its a wee bit tougher and will take a bit more abuse putting it up. For the extra money its worth it when you're running that much tbh.

182, SQ7, Trafic
I'd already said external grade above, and you didn't mention it being external grade. I'm just clarifying so the OP doesn't get confused!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I was confused, until you said it was the same lol.

Cheers for all the help, I've text him today telling him to buy external grade cable and that the length will be fine.

Golf GTD Mk7
how far away is the summer house? A decent wireless router (mounted externally) should be adequate depending on the distance.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
how far away is the summer house? A decent wireless router (mounted externally) should be adequate depending on the distance.

Cable is far less prone to the effects of the weather.. plus it's dirty magic, cables ftw.