ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Look away if you're squeamish!

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
Well, I have just come to the end of an epic journey.

We bought our Clio 182 in April 2007 for £6000. It was a 54 plate in black with cup suspension and wheels and had done 54,000 miles. That was a damn good price back then and was about £1000 below trade but it was a friend's car who just wanted to clear the finance, hence the bargain.

My wife got pregnant back in February and try as we might, the pram just wasn't going to fit in. I started trying to sell it in May 2008 at £6000 and gradually reduced it. I had offers of as high as £5400 but felt it was worth more so held out. What an idiot! I should have taken the money. The baby is due in November and, being just a couple of months away and with the MOT and tax being due at the end of the month, I decided now was the time to get rid. I put it up on e-bay, for £4200 no reserve thinking I would get the best part of £5000. No chance. One bid at £4200. So, may be it has a mark here and there and with 63,000 miles under its belt, it aint no spring chicken, but it's a damn good car and someone has got a bargain.

The funny thing was, I even made a duplicate account to try and promote it on here but got found out and now have two infractions!

So the moral of the story is, sometimes, it's best to take an offer at the time, rather than hold out for more. And for you guys who think you car is worth £xxxx, think again. I think the above proves, the car market is well and truly on its arse.

PS Revels, this is not an attempt to promote the car as it has now sold.

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
In fact, I have only really sold it for £4161 as ebay the robbing barstewards have charged me £4 to list it and £35 as a final selling fee! :(

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Ouch... Ph2 172 are fooking cheap now, looking to get another one at the moment, i wouldnt pay a penny over £3.5, for a good one!

63k for a 04/05 registered car is high miles... mines on half that for the same age. Its a buyers market at the moment meaning they can dictate the price. shame really :(

Audi TT
Just bought my PH2 172 for £4k which I thought was a decent price. Looking round though there's 182's for not much more.

There's a noce 172 near me for sale for £3500. Nice stainless exhaust and a carbon BMC intake, still has AA warranty till January 2009 on it as well!

G

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Shame mate, problem is with those new tax laws coming in it will soon be too expensive to run anything with a bigger engine than a smart car!!

Its a shame its gone for so little but look on the bright side, you got it for £6k.

Theres a lot of people in your position who are going to struggle to get £5k for a 182 but they paid £8k+ a year or so ago..

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
Its a shame its gone for so little but look on the bright side, you got it for £6k.

Theres a lot of people in your position who are going to struggle to get £5k for a 182 but they paid £8k+ a year or so ago..

Very true. That's a big hit on a second hand car in 12 months.

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
Bad luck dude - if it's any consolation I had the same with my 106 GTi before getting my Clio.

I got offered £4800 but had another buyer promising £5000 when her car had sold. She sold her car, got something else and I ended up selling the car 5 months later for £4200.

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
Just the way it goes I suppose. I've sold my old cars straight away in the past coz they've always been mint. I'm honestly amazed by how long it has taken to sell and for how little.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

If you know anyone selling a 197 cup or R27 i know of a cash buyer;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Well, I have just come to the end of an epic journey.

We bought our Clio 182 in April 2007 for £6000. It was a 54 plate in black with cup suspension and wheels and had done 54,000 miles. That was a damn good price back then and was about £1000 below trade but it was a friend's car who just wanted to clear the finance, hence the bargain.

My wife got pregnant back in February and try as we might, the pram just wasn't going to fit in. I started trying to sell it in May 2008 at £6000 and gradually reduced it. I had offers of as high as £5400 but felt it was worth more so held out. What an idiot! I should have taken the money. The baby is due in November and, being just a couple of months away and with the MOT and tax being due at the end of the month, I decided now was the time to get rid. I put it up on e-bay, for £4200 no reserve thinking I would get the best part of £5000. No chance. One bid at £4200. So, may be it has a mark here and there and with 63,000 miles under its belt, it aint no spring chicken, but it's a damn good car and someone has got a bargain.

The funny thing was, I even made a duplicate account to try and promote it on here but got found out and now have two infractions!

So the moral of the story is, sometimes, it's best to take an offer at the time, rather than hold out for more. And for you guys who think you car is worth £xxxx, think again. I think the above proves, the car market is well and truly on its arse.

PS Revels, this is not an attempt to promote the car as it has now sold.

I can totally understand your predicament.

I lost my job and really dont wanna sell it yet i got countless phone calls and emails and plenty of interest.

Sods law for sure!

yeah really is a buyers market at the mo, all cars have come down alot since the dreaded credit crunch.....

sorry to hear you didn't get the amount you were looking for but at least the hassle of selling it is over with now.

good luck with the baby anyway!

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
yeah really is a buyers market at the mo, all cars have come down alot since the dreaded credit crunch.....

sorry to hear you didn't get the amount you were looking for but at least the hassle of selling it is over with now.

good luck with the baby anyway!

Thanks mate. I wasn't too keen on the car at first (Renault=s**t) but the wife wanted one. I work shifts so sometimes come home in the early morning and you just couldn't beat the 182 for getting you home quick. Wouldn't be selling if not for the baby but that's life! Had loads of idiots enquiring. One guy wanted to swap me a 53 plate Astra turbo with 112k. Er hello! I'm may be desperate but I'm not insane! :rasp: