ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to buy a Clio for track and road - Advice needed please

Lancia, Lotus
Hi Everyone,

I've just agreed to sell my MX5 to my friend and I'm looking to replace it with a Clio. I used the MX5 for a short commute to work and also trackdays and Autosolo's, I'm looking to do the same with a Clio. I'm selling the MX5 because rot has set in, I invested too much money into making it into a trackday car and regretted not buying something that was already done in the first place. So before I buy a Clio I want to complete some proper research. I think I want to buy a car which is already done as I don't want to make the same mistakes as I did with the MX5, trouble is I have to get something by the middle of October as that is when my friend is taking the MX5.

I've been looking around and within my budget I think I could afford a pretty good 172/182 or maybe even a Trophy but probably not. Ideally it will be halfway house between road and track use, so no stripped out interiors but I could live with a stiffer ride etc..

So I have some questions,
Is it only the 172 Cups that come with Speedline wheels?
Are the Cup editions worth pursuing over non cup editions or is there not much difference?
Should I consider the later 197 as the prices aren't as much as I thought they'd be.
Roll bars, I felt I had to have one in the MX5 because it has no roof, does the Clio roof offer much protection? If it is essential are any available that won't require the rear seat to be folded down?
I'm based in Essex, why are there so many Clio's for sale up North!

I will no doubt have more questions but any help or experience you can offer I'll be pleased to listen to it.

Thanks,

Pete

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
172, 182, 197, modified or stock, cup or non cup will provide great entertainment on the track and be perfectly useable on the road.
Just search for the best example within budget.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Get a roll bar fitted if its for track, i got a 172 (Non cup) but would probably go the extra bit and get a 197 now
Cup is cheaper for cambelt changes etc- no air con. get a Cup if its gonna be used on track a fair bit as less bits on it, full fat for comfort and roaduse.
15inch wheels- cheaper rubber

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah get the nicest clio within budget as mentioned. An equal driver comparison between each model is minimal. Hey I could have the most tricked out clio and get owned by bob who uses his to commute to work and the odd tip run etc lol.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as most have said, just look what you can afford within budget

personally I would always plug for the earlier cars, 172/182 as the consumables, servicing etc are just cheaper and they're better on fuel too, the 197 and above are just too heavy imo

if I was on the hunt for a cross over road and track car i'd be going 172 cup with BC coilovers, lightweight 15" wheels with ad08r tyres, whiteline or pms rarb and few other choice mods but keep the interior as you mention. unfortunately I don t know enough about mk2 cages to comment if you can get a rear without loosing rear seats

You don't want a half cage with rear seats in anyway as its far to dangerous for rear passengers, so its either full interior with no cage or rear seats out and half cage. And even with a rear cage I wouldn't be running standard seats and belts as in a big accident if you were to roll your head could easily make contact with the upper bar of the cage. With buckets and harnesses you are planted in your seat so lowers the risk of movement towards the cage.

Lancia, Lotus
Thanks for the replies, a 172 Cup is top of my list and ideally with a cage already installed. I absolutely agree about buying the best car I can find, always worth paying that bit extra if it is the right car rather than settling for something else, trouble is I have to find something before I pass the MX5 to my friend so I have about 5/6 weeks.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I'd be looking for a 182 cup..more power out the box..better wheel hubs..wishbones...more metal on rear beam to stop flex..wider track. Just a better Clio to start with.
Try and find one that already has some mods can work out cheaper.

Listerine & Poledo
I'd just say get another MX5 and asset-strip your dead one.
But I am entirely biased towards the sports car over a power-up-hatchback ;)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Looks nice enough. Can't make my mind up wether it's on the expensive side.

Take away the wheels and it does look dear.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
seems a tadge pricey for a 115k miler, but certainly a few extras. Just depends if its those extras that you want
I plumped for a £550 phase 1, then spent £1k on it concentrating on tyres, seats (Corbeau new) half roll cage install, and general servicing
Got my belts to do next year, and deciding whether to do all belts inc aux, and dephaser. Only done 88k miles so dont see why not

Lancia, Lotus
There is the option to make an offer so perhaps the seller is expecting less.
Impreza, the wheels are a major plus on this car.

Chris thanks for your input, I would prefer to buy a car all done (as further up this thread) but I have a time frame so may have to compromise. I did what you have done/are doing with my MX5 which I've sold but regretted not getting a car which was already done as it would have been far cheaper, especially as I pay for other people to do the work.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
There is the option to make an offer so perhaps the seller is expecting less.
Impreza, the wheels are a major plus on this car.

Chris thanks for your input, I would prefer to buy a car all done (as further up this thread) but I have a time frame so may have to compromise. I did what you have done/are doing with my MX5 which I've sold but regretted not getting a car which was already done as it would have been far cheaper, especially as I pay for other people to do the work.

Fair point getting a car all done, as i would probably do that in future

Just when I was looking the thought of spending close on £2k on a 15 year old track car was a phallacy
Now that i have done that (lol) i would consider in future getting one all done
Saying that, Ive had a year of fun and learning, sourcing the bits i needed, completing some work myself, and paying others to do bits. Visiting places like the Corbeau factory in Hastings was great

But, as said, take your point

Lancia, Lotus
Saying that, Ive had a year of fun and learning, sourcing the bits i needed, completing some work myself, and paying others to do bits. Visiting places like the Corbeau factory in Hastings was great

You're bang on with that, although I've lost money on my MX5 I have had an awful lot of fun in it and also learnt plenty. I expect a lot of people are in the same boat!

Cheers

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Making mistakes is half the fun of playing with a car :) Plus imo its never a bad thing to know the odd thing about the car you might need to fix at the track side.

As you're from essex have a look at Engine Dynamics if you need any work done on it, great blokes down there.

Looks good, offer £1500 and see what he says. TBH with its mods it's probably worth the £1800 if it's clean and hasn't exceeded the mileage between belt changes.

Lancia, Lotus
Thanks Greeny, I'll check them out, us Essex boys must stick together!
JB, I've asked about the mileage since the belts were done. It's about £600 to get them done isn't it?
I just looked up the H&R coilovers, new ones are quite a chunk of the car's price, interesting..

You could break it for mods as is a get £1200

H&R adjustable coilovers, £450
7 x 15" Speedline 2118 alloys with nearly new Nankang NS2R tyres, 450
DS 2500 pads, £30
Power flow de-cat pipe with Yozzasport rear section, £50
Cup rear spoiler and front splitter, £100
Updated Dog bone mount, £30
Ramair induction kit, £10
Rear wipers and front washers blanked, £20
OMP suede steering wheel, £50

Lancia, Lotus
The list of parts are tempting me but the belts and dephaser were done 20k miles ago, I'd assume they need doing again. What are the intervals for these please?

Lancia, Lotus
I'm still mulling over the silver car in Bury, I would have gone for the car for sale on here listed by thevaletguy but it sold very quickly, oh well..

Any thoughts on this one please, it's very local to me. Better or worse than the silver car previously posted on this thread.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/renault-clio-sport-172-track-road-car-/1267735680

I would prefer a blue one but would be sensible if the silver car is a better buy

Cheers

Pete

Lancia, Lotus
You're not wrong, it is off putting. My gut instinct tells me the silver car is better but I'd still like some other opinions please.

Pete

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The MOT history on that blue one says it all for me. 9 advisories and 4 fails last year lol! Looks like someone who's wanting to get rid of it before the MOT is due this year.

Also with regards to this:
Roll bars, I felt I had to have one in the MX5 because it has no roof, does the Clio roof offer much protection? If it is essential are any available that won't require the rear seat to be folded down?
I'm going to go against the grain and say no. Clio roofs hold up surprisingly well in a roll. For a car you'll use for work every day with some track use thrown in a cage isn't essential.

Widearch evo 2
Maybe not what you are looking for but I have a silver 172 Ph2 sat outside my house if you want info on it. Came from on here and will have a fresh MOT.