ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looks like im stuck with it!!

fastest passat in't world
Ive owned my 2003 172 for about 4 months now and to be honest, its been 4 months of hate!

Before the Clio I owned a BMW 328i coupe sport, before that i had a Leon Cupra 1.8t engine and body mods, before that, a golf V5....The list is endless. Unfortunately as I change my car so often in the past ive ended up with negative equity so i had to buy the clio on finance...BIG MISTAKE.

I cant stand the soddin thing and im stuck with it...Ive tried getting out of the agreement but i cant so im coming to terms with having to keep it but i want to like it.

My question is, what can i do to make it better without ruining it? I want more torque like the 6 cylinder BMW or the turbo Leon but i dont want to spend loads on it, also, are there any simple mods that generally improve things (not dropping it though) and make the car just feel better?

Also, the front end has developed a knocking when i accellerate hard in forst with the wheels turned, is this a comon thing?

Bloody car, i need to like it so can you help??

Last edited:
  M2 Competition
unikarl said:
Also, the front end has developed a knocking when i accellerate hard in forst with the wheels turned, is this a comon thing?

Possibly engine mounts mate. Or wheel bearings if its only when the wheels turned?

Its not a car for massive power, id get out in the countryside and enjoy the handling! Theyre wicked little cars for twisty b roads... when i do this it makes me fall in love with it all over again.

Also, try a sports exhaust, prospeed's cliosport special is good, transforms the feel of the car.

mark_s said:
is that accelerate hard in "first" or in "frost"?

lol, first....not the best when it comes to spell checking!

Peperami...I already have a magnex exhaust on it which i like but it still needs more. Maybe a chip and tints will make me feel better about it.

Suze, its yours..for a small fee of course :)

Unikarl, sell your TV, sell your missus, sell your Grandma, sell anything that you can to get out of this car.

I can tell it's not for you, these things just don't have the easy going nature of your previous mounts and they never will have. Sporty Clio's are old school, hard work and can be rewarding but they're not for everyone.

Speak nicely to your finance company and choose yourself something that gives a liitle a more easily and is more soothing.

If you have the money to pay for mods on one of these things save it and put it towards something that you're likely to enjoy more, you'll be throwing away good money after bad otherwise . Good luck.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Always worth test driving before buying, but as said, get into some back lanes and B roads and give it hell: it's where it's best appreciated!

The car's not good for torque but some simple mods and a remap will even it out somewhat...

Williams025 said:
Why didnt you test drive it before you bought it? The 172 isnt a tourque monster, but its still a damn good car!

I test drove it but i kinda get overcome with the excitement of having potencially buying a new car to notice anything that i wont like.

I called the finance company who were more than just a bit unhelpfull. They will charge me a percentage to end the agreement even if i take a new policy out with them. Then there is the fact that ive made four payments, all of which have only covered interest yet the car has lost value therefore i will gain even more negative equity.

On the plus side, the car does save me money compared to the petrol station loving 328 and ive just bought a bike to commute on so i wont be using the clio as much...maybe the absense of driving it will make my heart grow fonder for it!

I need an armrest too. For some reasons long journeys really hurt my left shoulder.

Weeman said:
its the standard knocking, they all do it, tis the engine mounts as the wheels spin i believe.

So can this be stopped with new mounts or do i have to just live with it as such?

unikarl said:
I test drove it but i kinda get overcome with the excitement of having potencially buying a new car to notice anything that i wont like.

I called the finance company who were more than just a bit unhelpfull. They will charge me a percentage to end the agreement even if i take a new policy out with them. Then there is the fact that ive made four payments, all of which have only covered interest yet the car has lost value therefore i will gain even more negative equity.

On the plus side, the car does save me money compared to the petrol station loving 328 and ive just bought a bike to commute on so i wont be using the clio as much...maybe the absense of driving it will make my heart grow fonder for it!

I need an armrest too. For some reasons long journeys really hurt my left shoulder.

I've just realised Karl that you're an 'armrest ponce' it's a common problem amongst 'civilised' car owners. As I said before, get rid of the Clio it'll cripple you!

Clio 182
Sounds like your used to big confortable cruiser's! Everything a Clio's not !! Don't try and compare it to your past cars but think of it more as a raw drivers car that will challange your driving skills much more then your 328 ever did. But if your bag is hammering down on a long straight dual carrage way, the Clio's not for you and look for an older bigger engined car thats the same value as your 172, not sure what but have a look around. Or stick 172 and get the adrenelin flowing round some country roads or book a track day.

Seat Leon Cupra
Hello all.

I am the proud owner of Karls ex-car - the Seat Leon Cupra.

I find myself wanting what Karl has, and not what i have now... We had agreed a swap until aforementioned Finance company stuck their oar in.

The Leon is staggeringly fast, its so torquey and pulls so hard its insane but once it reaches about 5000rpm it starts to drop off... I kind of want the opposite of that - something that builds into a screeching crescendo ar about 7500rpm and promotes redlining in every gear.

I find cars like that can excite me on the bends more due to the noise and feeling of going fast rather than actually going fast.

For example I had a little do with my Leon against my old Civic VTi now owned by a good friend. I led him from the lights immediately and was two car lengths ahead within about 40 yards - it was a total whitewash, however when I drive the Civic and undertake a similar launch - it feels so much quicker through those 40 yards due to screeching like a banshee on to the redline.

Anyway. Maybe me and Karl can still sort something and I will become a Clio owner.

I'm going to mill about here anyway and see if I can pick up any knowledge!

Matt

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
the nocking noise will be the engine mount, mine did this all the time,, just steady 30mph in 4th, put yur foot down and it nocks right ??? well i sent my car in to renault and it was the engine mount, 126 quid worse off but its fixed now.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
knocking is EASILY sorted. I got the uprated dogbone mount bushes from k-tec, popped them in, then adjusted the engine mount on the drivers inner wing. Slaken off the 4 bolts, and 'pull' the engine forward.... whilst its still in the 'foward' position, re-tighten up the 4 bolts. Job done. I even suspect that you dont need the k-tec uprated bushes either

Mustang, S13, AX GT
RagingKileak said:
Hello all.

I am the proud owner of Karls ex-car - the Seat Leon Cupra.

I find myself wanting what Karl has, and not what i have now... We had agreed a swap until aforementioned Finance company stuck their oar in.

The Leon is staggeringly fast, its so torquey and pulls so hard its insane but once it reaches about 5000rpm it starts to drop off... I kind of want the opposite of that - something that builds into a screeching crescendo ar about 7500rpm and promotes redlining in every gear.

I find cars like that can excite me on the bends more due to the noise and feeling of going fast rather than actually going fast.

For example I had a little do with my Leon against my old Civic VTi now owned by a good friend. I led him from the lights immediately and was two car lengths ahead within about 40 yards - it was a total whitewash, however when I drive the Civic and undertake a similar launch - it feels so much quicker through those 40 yards due to screeching like a banshee on to the redline.

Anyway. Maybe me and Karl can still sort something and I will become a Clio owner.

I'm going to mill about here anyway and see if I can pick up any knowledge!

Matt

Surely the finance company couldn't really cry if he was still going to pay the finance, its his car that has an attached debt, or do they secure the debt against being able to re-possess the car should he fail to make payment. My advise if you are so unhappy with the car would be to sell it and settle you're finance. It'll put you a bit out of pocket but nothing worse than driving a car you dont like