ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loot boxes

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They've been accused of introducing young people to gambling and even banned in some countries already.
Seems now things are turning against them here. If they need regulation by the gambling commission they're essentially banned from games.

The link between gaming loot boxes and problem gambling has been "robustly verified", according to a new report.

The report, carried out by researchers at the universities of Plymouth and Wolverhampton, found that loot boxes "are structurally and psychologically akin to gambling".
It also found that large numbers of children are opening loot boxes.

The UK government is already considering whether gambling laws should cover such loot boxes.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Been a problem for ages with loads of developers tbh, can easily see it being a problem for younger minds who really want to unlock a skin or whatever.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They probably should ban them, however I remember buying packs and packs of pokemon/football cards as a kid which was essentially the same thing.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They probably should ban them, however I remember buying packs and packs of pokemon/football cards as a kid which was essentially the same thing.

As per above, it’s no different than buying sticker packs etc so those will be next if the gambling commission gets involved.

I think the main difference is some games have doubled down on the concept.

Instead of looking for that one rare item to complete your collection you now need multiples of the rare item to then upgrade it in the game.
To further put the pressure on each level increase requires more and more copies of the item to be collected.

Essentially it's further putting pressure on the players to keep coming back for more.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Massive difference. One of the avenger games was built on it from memory.
The legal thing has been 5 years in the making.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It was funny a couple of years back when there was a court case about them and the developers won saying "it wasn't gambling".

It clearly is.

I'm not a gamer (I can't even look at somebody playing a game for 30 seconds before my motion sickness kicks in and I spend the rest of the day trying my hardest not to throw up).