ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lost power :(

Just had a cat back system fitted to my 1.6 and it seems to lost a bit of power in 4th and 5th. i know i cant get my car through an mot if i was to have the cat removed but is there any chance i could loose more power if i was to smash the insides out the cat pipe? i cant find a decat for my car and to get one made would be about £180. where do the super1600 rally teams get parts for these cars i cant find any thing for them!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its probably lost too much back pressure. Too straight though and big pipework are fine on a turbo'd motor, but not on N/A engines

lol yeah its Monkman :) is there any restrictors things u can add to an exhaust to give it more back pressure rather then changing it again!!

can you create more backpressure with a remap? is so would this slightly improve things or would it make gains with the new pipe?

Fiesta ST
Never understood how back pressure works? Just gases exiting the engine, the faster they can escape the better?

53 Clio's & counting
nope,an engine needs a certain amount of bk pressure,in forced induction its generally better as the turbo offers resistance but in n/a cars a bit of bk pressure helps

53 Clio's & counting
basically the escaping exhaust gas needs something to push against as such,its hard to explain as im crap at explaining stuff lol,exhausts are very complicated things

well i went from i think 1.5" to 2" cat back with only one silancer. am i right from reading that artical if ive lost back pressure it would be low down power? i dont understand it 4th dosnt seem to pull like it used to because my freinds car now pulls away(never used to) but i can get the same speeds on the same roads i used to :S

simple answer,

accept that your mod didn't work and either put up with it or put the original back on.

There is so little to be gained in performance from exhaust systems these days

Edit: Is it just me or does that article fail to explain anything? Looks like sales tosh

53 Clio's & counting
well i went from i think 1.5" to 2" cat back with only one silancer. am i right from reading that artical if ive lost back pressure it would be low down power? i dont understand it 4th dosnt seem to pull like it used to because my freinds car now pulls away(never used to) but i can get the same speeds on the same roads i used to :S

im guessing your accerating from low revs in these gears? because thats where it is usually noticable

simple answer,

accept that your mod didn't work and either put up with it or put the original back on.

There is so little to be gained in performance from exhaust systems these days

Edit: Is it just me or does that article fail to explain anything? Looks like sales tosh

yeah it doesnt explain it all mate but it explains it a bit better than i can lol

Just had another read of it

Quote:

Backpressure is the restriction of the exhaust gases that are produced by your engine while they are being released through your exhaust system.

End Quote

Surely this is crap. The back pressure is caused by the restriction on gas flow in the exhaust pipe, due to forcing lots of gas down a small diameter pipe. This causes a restriction on the engine as it is acting as the pump that forces the gases down the pipe.

This is why generally you are better off with a larger diameter pipe as this gives less resistance. However, you can upset the flow dynamics as the gases are sent down the pipe in pulses due to the nature of a piston system. I think this is what's causing danny's problems.

That article is nothing but ill informed marketing spiel

Danny, get your old exhaust back on. It was perfectly adequate

53 Clio's & counting
hmmm interesting about the hight revs mate,iv had it before but if im honest its not been as noticable as yours,was it directly after the exhaust was fitted? i mean is there another problem that could be causing it?

i wouldnt compare it to your mates car,from experience mine goes well one day,crap the next lol

Cup'd Monaco 172
Back pressure is crap. Thats what valves are for.

However the ultimate exhaust is the smallest you can get away with before it becomes restrictive. This gives you the highest gas speeds.

Back pressure is crap. Thats what valves are for.

However the ultimate exhaust is the smallest you can get away with before it becomes restrictive. This gives you the highest gas speeds.

That's what valves are for? Please elaborate. Valves are there for a reason, not sure how they're supposed to eliminate back pressure though

Cup'd Monaco 172
No the exhaust valves control the pressure the engine, once released you want those gases gone asap.
Exhaust tuning with back pressure only applies to 2 strokes

See what you're saying now.

So why are people experiencing loss of power with larger bore systems?

and what difference does gas velocity make? Surely its volumetric flow rate that counts?

is there any mods i can do that would compliment the exhaust and work better. say a ktec manifold? dont really wanna put the std system back on this one sounds great and its onlu 1/2 inch bigger must be some engine mod i can do to give it some more?

200sx s14a
hey danny you the kid who came round to mine to see my brother rich with james dennis or is thi another dnny monkman lol ?

Danny, are you sure it's down on power or could it just be perception?

If it's bad enough for you to notice then it must be quite bad and I think you'd be silly messing around with other parts. Just take off the crap you've put on and got to an exhaust company that know what they're doing

Mondeo TDCI 130
No the exhaust valves control the pressure the engine, once released you want those gases gone asap.
Exhaust tuning with back pressure only applies to 2 strokes

bollox does it!!! I had a nova 1.2 back in the day The exhaust dropped off on the down pipe. Tied the rest of the system up to get home. Couldnt even get up hills that i could normally, had to change down the gears more. This is due to virtuially 0 back pressue.

correct! 90% of the time bolting on an exhaust or air filter will loose you power & performance, not gain you 10bhp each like people seem to think, you just sound like your going faster!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Are some people alergic to physics ???

Backpressure is a bad thing. Full stop.

The best way I can describe it (as I would to my mum) is blowing on a straw.

Backpressure is literally just when the engine can't get the gas out of the tailpipe as quick as it can release it. It only needs a tiny amount to create a bottleneck in which you can easily free up some power by getting a wider bore pipe (not just cat back though).

The gas velocity is a tricky one, but if the pipe only has half of it's maximum capacity traveling through it then it's going to move around rather than travel straight out the exhaust, that's called turbulance, and turbulance in a situation where maximum flow is better is a bad thing.

The best way to get power for no cost though, is to just take your exhaust off. It'll be silly loud, and technically illegal, but the gases will be leaving the engine, into the manifold, and straight out onto the floor. I have seen a couple of cars with this setup but have a tailpipe attached under the rear bumper so it doesn't look suspicious..

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
try driving a small engined N/A car with no exhaust..... it will have no power what so ever. Fact

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Exactly. Its not as simple as just shoving big ass pipework on as N/A car. Big torque loss