ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lost System Preferences???

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Not sure what i've done if anything but when i click System Preferences from the Apple menu nothing happens.

Cant get to all my settings etc, any ideas.

It happened yesterday so its been restarted a few times but still nothing.

Help please.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Starting to think i may have deleted it somehow, if that even possible, When i right click in the dock for example and go dock preferences it says:

There is no default application specified to open the document "dock.prefpane"

FACK!!

Will i need to re install OSX or something. What if anything will i lose if i do??

If you re-install, you'll lose everything. It'll be like it came from the shop.

Is there anything in your trash?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
What does it look like in the dock? Has it got a question mark on it?

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
No, no mark, doesnt even show in the dock or if i search for it in spotlight.

I'm gonna verify the disk permissions etc see if that helps.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Anyone use this Onyx program too, i'm trying to install the thing but it keeps failing.

Christ.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Sounds like you've deleted it, you'll need your os x install disc and pacifist to extract the preferences application and copy it back. Then force a system update to bring it back to the right version.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Might be dumb, but have u tried opening your Finder, then going in the Applications section to look for System Preferences?

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Yeah done that, i must have deleted it then.

Will i lose anything Snoop, i've got the disks with me, i'm neeeervous, got lots of work stuff on here.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I dont really understand that Ronnie, i've downloaded it, but its just opens up and gives me a s**t load of different files, not sure what i'm meant to do with it.

Right found another Prog i can use to select what to re-install on my start up disk but i really dont fancy it, also a few people have said i could just copy another mac's preferences as long as its the same OS, might try that first.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I dont really understand that Ronnie, i've downloaded it, but its just opens up and gives me a s**t load of different files, not sure what i'm meant to do with it.

Right found another Prog (pacifist) i can use to select what to re-install on my start up disk but i really dont fancy it, also a few people have said i could just copy another mac's preferences as long as its the same OS, might try that first.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah done that, i must have deleted it then.

Will i lose anything Snoop, i've got the disks with me, i'm neeeervous, got lots of work stuff on here.

No. You're not installing anything from the disc. You use pacifist to open up the install packages on the OS X disc, you'll then be able to copy the System Preferences.app file from the install disc back into your applications folder.

However, it won't be the right version, so you'll need to do an update after doing this so that it gets up to date.

Download pacifist and use it to do the above.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Sweet cheers snoop, i'm extracting the System pref's from the disk using Pacifist now.

I'll let you know how i get on after the update.

Thanks.

DONE, thanks alot mate, CS came to the rescue.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Sweet cheers snoop, i'm extracting the System pref's from the disk using Pacifist now.

I'll let you know how i get on after the update.

Thanks.

DONE, thanks alot mate, CS came to the rescue.

No worries :)

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Right next Q, do you use Onyx? Is it worth me using it? and why does it keep quitting unexpectedly after i've copied it to my app's.

Would the newest version be for Snow leopard perhaps and i'm still running Leo?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Right next Q, do you use Onyx? Is it worth me using it? and why does it keep quitting unexpectedly after i've copied it to my app's.

Would the newest version be for Snow leopard perhaps and i'm still running Leo?

Pass. I've never installed it, just looked at their website and the latest version is for snow leopard, you need an older version for leopard.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/french/apps.html