ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lots of play in gearstick whilst in gear!

RB FF 182
Hi All,

Recently got my first 172, thanks to those that welcomed me in the newbie thread!

There are a few little bits and bobs that I'm getting sorted out gradually, nothing major though!

The gearbox on the car seems fine, never misses a gear, easy to change etc... However, theres lots of play in the gear stick whilst it is in gear? I can move it side to side about a centimeter each way, in pretty much all gears?? It's a 2002 import, so it's getting on a bit. I used to have a 2005 1.2 campus sport and the gear box always felt quite firm, newer car i know!

As I say, it drives fine, and has (so far) never popped out of gear etc...

I just wondered if this was normal, and how I could rectify the issue?

Thanks.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Gear selector mate, new ones always tighten up the gear stick.

RB FF 182
Cool! Doesn't sound anything to major... ?

I will be getting the car serviced shortly and I am going to be getting all engine mounts checked as well! I'll probably wait to see if this resolves the issue and take it from there?

Is changing the gear selector a DIY job? If so any recommendations on where I could pick one up from?

Thanks for the quick responses!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would get a garage to do it but it's not a big job, never seen one done on a clio tho.

Golf GTD Mk7
most likely the mounts that caused it if it is the selector? play in the engine (well more than usual) and it might have loosened it. get a garage to see if there is a lot of play in the engine.

RB FF 182
Thanks for the help. I'll give my mechanic a call and get it booked in! I'll post back on costs etc... so it's here for future reference. I've got a few other small jobs I need to do so if I get stuck I'll post again! lol

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
If the gear stick moves during acceleration: worn engine/gearbox mount.

If you can move the gear stick 2-3 cm when it is in gear: worn gear stick ball joint housing or worn bush or snapped rubber spacer/washer at the gear box. I had the same problem in my Clios, but I sorted this out. I made a new bush and a new solid ball joint housing.

If the ball joint housing is worn:

[youtube]If the gear stick moves during acceleration: worn engine/gearbox mount.

If you can move the gear stick 2-3 cm when it is in gear: worn gear stick ball joint housing or worn bush or snapped rubber spacer/ washer at the gear box. I had the same problem in my Clios, but I sorted this out. I made a new bush and a new solid ball joint housing.

If the ball joint housing is worn:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wylM2SoJ5-U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wylM2SoJ5-U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

If the bush worn or the rubber washer is snapped at the gearbox:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzBHwYerdTM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzBHwYerdTM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Check the play in your gear linkage! I have bot (bush and housing). Drop me a PM if you are interested.

RB FF 182
Wow thanks Yanoo! I'll have a look when I get home as I'm at work at the moment! Currently car is booked in on Monday at Renault to have the Bonnett Catch looked at as it wasn't done under the safety recall, and then I'm dropping it to my mechanic who's looking at a potential problem with the steering/tracking/track rod ends etc... He's going to take a quick look at this too and let me know what the problem is! :)

RB FF 182
Just to update you all. I paid special attention to the gear stick whilst driving. There is absolutely zero movement when accelerating. Even when I accelerate hard. So, looking back at the posts that would suggest gear selector.

As stated before it's going to my mechanic Monday. I'll report back onwhat it was and how much it costs

Thanks to all for their help.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Just to update you all. I paid special attention to the gear stick whilst driving. There is absolutely zero movement when accelerating. Even when I accelerate hard. So, looking back at the posts that would suggest gear selector.

As stated before it's going to my mechanic Monday. I'll report back onwhat it was and how much it costs

Thanks to all for their help.

You can check yourself the play of the gear stick ball joint: get off the gear stick gaitor and move the gearstick as shown on vid. You will see whether the ball joint housing is worn or not. In that case it's worn the whole joint has a huge play (especially visible between 0:25-:027 in the first vid).

RB FF 182
Thanks Yanoo, my gear gator needs sticking back down anyway so should be an easy thing to check. I'm at work atm but i'll pop round to my car this afternoon and take a look..

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes

PH1 172 Sport
Have you got any close up pictures of what you have done to the selector in that last video Yanoo?

172 cup
Definitely... I only noticed it today, whilst stuck in traffic, and it's already winding me up! I'll see if I can get it on a ramp tomorrow, and I'll let you know if I find anything!

172 cup
Right, mine is play in the bush that Yanoo suggested... ordered a new one, so hopefully it'll sort it and there's nothing else!

RB FF 182
Nice!! I couldn't see anything wrong with mine. Sometimes "stiff " when changing gear noe. Have to re-pump clutch sometimes. No crunching though.

2001 Clio Sport 172
what's the name of the bush that needs replacing when the gearstick has side to side movement, or can someone direct me on ebay or somewhere to where I can get the right bushing.

There's not alot of clio's in Aus so I will need to import it I'm assuming