ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud knocking noise on full lock from underneath

My car has previously been in a bump, but only front end damage was incurred. Despite this, my front wheels have very slightly positive camber.

The problem is that when I put the steering on full lock, either way, I get a really loud knocking noise from underneath the car, then when I straighten it out again, the same happens again.

I'm thinking the two could be related? There's no difference in handling and nothing feels unstable whilst driving, just the wheels are a little positive and the knocking. Any ideas?

Focus RS mk1
maybe nakered drive shaft/shafts? can you pin point which side the knocking is coming from as you have said it does it turning full lock either way?

It does it turning on full lock either way, but the sound seems to be coming from the driver's side.

Focus RS mk1
maybe worth checking tightnes of bolts if anything was replaced from the front end bump, but as said could be ball joint or drive shaft or even just the usual top mount knocking issue

Da

Less
Ball joints would be my suggestion too. Check they're tight first and replace if they seem worn at all.

A new pair can be had for £20~

Not too clued up on any of these parts, where should I be looking for the ball joints? :eek:

All advice appreciated, cheers lads.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Play in the balljoints/the wrong bolt size's fitted.

If I were you, I'd just change the pair to eliminate them.

They are supposed to be 12mm bolts, but for some reason you can buy 10mm and 12mm, if the 10mm bolts get fitted they just work loose and wobble. Most motorfactors sell Balljoints for £12-ish.

The other thing to check is if either are worn, jack the car up, grab the wheel at "3 and 9" and give it a damn good wobble, if there's play, the actual balljoint is in need of replacement, but as said, don't discount it being the bolts.

They're really damn easy to change, buy yourself a balljoint separator (about a fiver) and crack on, it's just a few bolts and a bit of ooomph.

Da

Less
Ball joints are the bottom of the hub Jamie, attached to the wishbone.

I have everything needed tool wise if you want/need to borrow anything.