ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low coolant level, but no leakage.

Ian

Focus TDCi
The heating in the car wouldn't come hot about a week ago and while checking under the bonnet I noticed the coolant was way below minimum.

Since then I've been topping it up pretty much daily and it keeps disappearing, but with no sign of a leak.

Everyone I've spoken to seems to suggest that it's a blown head gasket, or at least one that's on its way, and from what I've read up on it, I'd agree.

The oil cap is still clean (nothing milky etc) and from my late night inspections there is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust, but it's hard to tell if it's smoke or steam; I can't see any colour to it.

My brother informs me it's drinking petrol and the idle is really lumpy, but that could be my brother's driving and a typically French car respectively, right?

Would people agree it's the head gasket, or could it be anything else? I'm meant to be driving from Manchester to Worcester tomorrow, but I'm guessing I shouldn't..

If anyone could give a quick answer I'd appreciate it,

Clio 182
Pop down to your local garage and get a 'sniff test' done fella......... cheap enough and only takes 5 minutes..
From what you have described tho it sounds like your headgasket tho

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ok thanks, I'll get down to one in the morning. If it is the head gasket I really don't know if I can justify spending £3-400 getting it replaced, so frustrating.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Well it is either the head gasket or cylinder head. The guy has quoted me £4-500 to sort it out, which is ridiculous, but along the lines of what I was expecting.

If I can't find anywhere to do it cheaper then I don't think I'm going to repair it. Sucks.

Ian

Focus TDCi
What would I be looking for there Kev, in terms of what's wrong with the pump I mean?

Storm Grey 200
Mine did this, i have done the head gasket and cylinder head. did the water pump too, but it was a faulty unit. So in the end, it was infact the water pump.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ahh bit of a revival on this one.

Tbf the guy didn't do any gas tests, but he just seemed so sure that I went with it. If there is a possibility of it being the water pump I guess that's a good thing in a way though. I have put some K-seal in the coolant and the car is running well now, so it makes me think it probably is the headgasket?

I'm probably gonna leave it for now as it all seems fine, but if it crops up again I'll try and sort it. A mate told me all the parts for replacing the headgasket would come to around £50, but one of the traders on here said it would be £150.. any ideas on that?

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
If the hg has gone then it will also need a head skim. Make sure you do it or you will be replacing the hg again in a few weeks.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Aye I would do that. Thinking about it, getting the head skimmed and then getting it pressure tested would probably make up the difference in price between the quotes.

Mondeo TDCI 130
You wont get a headgasket kit, a cambelt kit, a drive belt, oil filter, oil, antifreeze, head bolts for £50!!

If you can, let me konw where!!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ha, hey Steve :)

I wasn't trying to undermine you or anything don't worry, was just confused. The Clio is holding out on K-seal so I'm leaving it atm. I'll speak to the guy that told me tomorrow, said he'd done his Pug for that, but we were in the pub lol

You wont get a headgasket kit, a cambelt kit, a drive belt, oil filter, oil, antifreeze, head bolts for £50!!

If you can, let me konw where!!
I can do a Mk1 clios head gasket for Near £60, Thats if I'm not doing the Water pump while its all off.

Think I can do it for about £65.4 :) all parts on trade tho.
Maybe more near £70.
I would love to be able to do it for £50 :)